Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

MOT changes

36 minutes ago, Comedian said:

That's going to take a load of diesel light goods and pickups off the road then.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Just put them in storage till they are 40 years old.

John.

• Haha 3

So 40 year old cars that are more rust and filler than metal no longer need an MOT :no:

Checking if brake pads or discs are missing

How would it get through the brake test if a disc was missing? Surely bureaucracy to keep the government department responsible for these 'improvements' in employment.

37 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

So 40 year old cars that are more rust and filler than metal no longer need an MOT :no:

How would it get through the brake test if a disc was missing? Surely bureaucracy to keep the government department responsible for these 'improvements' in employment.

That would be quite standard and I support it... In almost any country in the world classic cars are exempt of MOT or equivalent. Mostly, classic cars are considered any cars over 30 years old, sometimes 35. 40 is on the high side, but it is much better then previous rules of fixed year, so now the law is much more up-to date and better reflects the needs(I believe it was 1968 before, which needed updating obviously).

This is done mainly because over certain period of time (again mostly ~30years) most cars change so much, that enforcing current MOT standards becomes irrelevant... so you either have to keep those standards low or there is no way to enforce it. By going this way it allows to make stricter requirements and enforce them, without putting classic cars owners in position without the way out. Realistically, how many cars over 40 years old... and those which are not appreciating classics are left?  

One obvious issues I have:

can see smoke of any colour coming from the exhaust

typical question - what if it is condensate (steam)... "Visual" inspection doesn't quite cut it, I think much clearer rules and methods are needed. And in no way I support bloody smoking screens behind every diesel cars, however I think clear and strict rules/methodology would encourage trust and respect.. wheres such obscure "any colour smoke" just going to alienate drivers and result of lack of respect. 

7 hours ago, usuf_x said:

Strange that I always thought the mot  testers checked for failed lights / bulbs

I think they check the lights are working if fitted, but the info seems to imply they will check reversing lights actually are fitted on vehicles from 1 Sept. 2009.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links