Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Firm accelerator peddle

Hi all, I'm finding the accelerator peddle on my 2014 IS300h a little firm to operate, certainly in comparison to the Golf I've been using. I've had sticky clutch cables in the past so know what they are like and this is certainly not the same. The action on the Lexus peddle is smooth and free moving but it is just a little on the heavy side?

Is this just a feature of this particular car? Do people find the peddle action on the firm side or are they light and easy to operate? Just wondering if it's time for a new cable etc... I don't have a second Lex so can't compare! 

All the best!

The pedal feel on my other half's IS300h is pretty typical of the feel for most cars. It's certainly not stiff.

These cars have an electronic throttle so no cables to wear or stiffen up. Might the throttle body need a clean?

1 hour ago, Neopyrrhus said:

Hi all, I'm finding the accelerator peddle on my 2014 IS300h a little firm to operate, certainly in comparison to the Golf I've been using. I've had sticky clutch cables in the past so know what they are like and this is certainly not the same. The action on the Lexus peddle is smooth and free moving but it is just a little on the heavy side?

Is this just a feature of this particular car? Do people find the peddle action on the firm side or are they light and easy to operate? Just wondering if it's time for a new cable etc... I don't have a second Lex so can't compare! 

All the best!

Thought it was all drive by wire now - so the accelerator pedal has no mechanical linkages at all - it just relays the pedal position to the computer which decides what power to apply for any given circumstance. Perhaps the pedal pivot needs a bit of lubrication?

I remember thinking the accelerator pedal felt a bit heavier when I went to a 300h from an IS250, though not to an extent that required leg-strengthening

exercises, and thought it may have had something to do with the hybrid set-up.   You soon get so used to the relative firmness as to consider it perfectly

normal.

25 minutes ago, Verbout said:

Spray your WD40 and smell it for days in the car, better than any air freshener.   :lol:

Depends how fresh the air was to start with.

Fly by Wire Pedals generally have a hysteresis device (mechanical features to add friction and "sticktion") to give the feel or a traditional cable and make it easier to hold the pedal in a set position (imagine if you were just holding the pedal against a spring, every time you went over a bump you would end up inadvertently opening / closing the throttle).  I would avoid putting any kind of lubrication in there in case it degrades the plastics.  From memory I think it was the hysteresis feature that was causing the sticking pedals that resulted in the Toyota recall scandal.   

Mine is no different to any other car I have owned or driven (had loads of golf hire cars while working overseas, and no noticeable difference).  Maybe a quick trip to a local dealer to compare.

1 hour ago, darrude said:

Fly by Wire Pedals generally have a hysteresis device (mechanical features to add friction and "sticktion") to give the feel or a traditional cable and make it easier to hold the pedal in a set position (imagine if you were just holding the pedal against a spring, every time you went over a bump you would end up inadvertently opening / closing the throttle).  I would avoid putting any kind of lubrication in there in case it degrades the plastics.  From memory I think it was the hysteresis feature that was causing the sticking pedals that resulted in the Toyota recall scandal.   

Mine is no different to any other car I have owned or driven (had loads of golf hire cars while working overseas, and no noticeable difference).  Maybe a quick trip to a local dealer to compare.

Here is the video in the US about the Toyota sticky throttle pedal: 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links