Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Original Tyres Mileage - Replace for MOT?

I've done 28k on mine since new, coming up to it's first MOT end of this month, can't decide if to replace all 4.  They don't seem too bad, decent amount above the wear lines, however they are wearing on the inside on the rears, it shouldn't normally be a MOT fail as the centre 75% is good and general condition ok. Not sure if risk putting it through service and MOT or get them replaced first. The wear on the inside has always been there, doesn't seems to have got much worse. I normally try to replace all 4 hence why I'm wanting to wait a bit.

What are Lexus like on tyre prices, will they match Kwik fit online (fully fitted) for example? I'm thinking to get them to service the car first, if they say tyres are ok then do MOT, if not I'll replace after service and before MOT, assuming enough time to do that. I'm a fair distance from Lexus otherwise I would ask them to check, I could get a tyre check done at a local place but I've done that before and the main dealer has failed the car when tyre place said they were fine.

Kwik fit for Michelin Primacy 4 225/45/17 are £91.00 each, I've used them before and I like the tyre, Current OEM ones are Yokoharm. I'm surprised they have done 28k and still in good shape, do others find the original tyres seem to last ages? 

1 hour ago, Casa1862 said:

I've done 28k on mine since new, coming up to it's first MOT end of this month, can't decide if to replace all 4.  They don't seem too bad, decent amount above the wear lines, however they are wearing on the inside on the rears, it shouldn't normally be a MOT fail as the centre 75% is good and general condition ok. Not sure if risk putting it through service and MOT or get them replaced first. The wear on the inside has always been there, doesn't seems to have got much worse. I normally try to replace all 4 hence why I'm wanting to wait a bit.

What are Lexus like on tyre prices, will they match Kwik fit online (fully fitted) for example? I'm thinking to get them to service the car first, if they say tyres are ok then do MOT, if not I'll replace after service and before MOT, assuming enough time to do that. I'm a fair distance from Lexus otherwise I would ask them to check, I could get a tyre check done at a local place but I've done that before and the main dealer has failed the car when tyre place said they were fine.

Kwik fit for Michelin Primacy 4 225/45/17 are £91.00 each, I've used them before and I like the tyre, Current OEM ones are Yokoharm. I'm surprised they have done 28k and still in good shape, do others find the original tyres seem to last ages? 

My dealers will match any shop within 5 miles for prices but only like for like. Works well for things like AC regas and MOTs but not for tyres as the OEM ones are usually quite specific and many places dont stock them. 

The OEM ones on the IS last for donkeys miles. They're 5.5mm on the IS (bridgestones) and done 16k miles. On the contrary, the RX ones dont last, 17k miles and needed a new pair up front. 

Lexus will fit tyres - mine charge £10+VAT per tyre so you can get them from an online shop and get them fitted.

Personally, I would stick with just 2 on rear. No point changing all 4 when only 2 are bad.

Thanks for the reply, I think you might be right, I'll just get the two rear ones replaced, two fronts are fine. On closer inspection it does seem the off side rear is worn on the inside edge of the tyre, if you run your hand over it you can feel your hand almost drop off. I read before that no point getting the wheel alignment done but this seems worse than expected. Has anyone had success with a wheel alignment or does the problem stay?

I thought most main dealers would fit any tyre, not particularly OEM, if I wanted Michelin Primacy I assume they won't do it then as it's not a OEM tyre? the Yokohama that came with car are ok but I'm hoping to get something less noisy. 

49 minutes ago, Casa1862 said:

Thanks for the reply, I think you might be right, I'll just get the two rear ones replaced, two fronts are fine. On closer inspection it does seem the off side rear is worn on the inside edge of the tyre, if you run your hand over it you can feel your hand almost drop off. I read before that no point getting the wheel alignment done but this seems worse than expected. Has anyone had success with a wheel alignment or does the problem stay?

I thought most main dealers would fit any tyre, not particularly OEM, if I wanted Michelin Primacy I assume they won't do it then as it's not a OEM tyre? the Yokohama that came with car are ok but I'm hoping to get something less noisy. 

Yes they will fit any tyre as long as it is Brand New with the stickers still on them.

Its just that Lexus stock the OEM ones - they won't be stocking other brands. Their stock consists of Bridgestone, Dunlop and Yokohama for the regular vehicles and Michelin for the performance cars. 

The IS does wear on the rear inner edge. However. I had an alignment done and its about 1mm lower than the middle and outside. So yes, makes a difference in that the tyres inner edge wont drop off as quickly but it wont cure the problem completely

Hi all.

I would myself get the car serviced mot and see what the dealer says about tyres the dealer's seem to want to be very keen on tyre prices even mentioned a cheaper brand when i enquired about tyres before i purchased my is250.

Will probably get from dealer when i need new ones providing they are true to there word.:wink3:

65mike.

I'll phone the dealer a few days before and get a price, ideally I'd like to move away from the OEM and go with Michelin. 

Any idea what Lexus charge for a IS300h wheel alignment ? Our local place uses a Hunters machine and I think they are £40.00, would that be better or worse than what Lexus use? 

At the moment the car runs absolutely straight, the steering is perfect, I've always found that after a tyre change and alignment it's never quite the same, another reason I'm stretching  it out.

Hi The hunter machine is an excellent machine if the guy using it knows what he is doing !!  I am surprised if you can get a full alignment check for £40  I usually pay £80 including adjustments .At my Lexus dealer visit last week ,they quoted £85 for 4 wheel alignment 

Dave

On 5/4/2018 at 10:48 AM, Casa1862 said:

I'll phone the dealer a few days before and get a price, ideally I'd like to move away from the OEM and go with Michelin. 

Any idea what Lexus charge for a IS300h wheel alignment ? Our local place uses a Hunters machine and I think they are £40.00, would that be better or worse than what Lexus use? 

At the moment the car runs absolutely straight, the steering is perfect, I've always found that after a tyre change and alignment it's never quite the same, another reason I'm stretching  it out.

Lexus use the hunter machine too.

They also will price match Kwik Fit. 

Ideally, you shouldn't need an alignment after every tyre change unless its wearing oddly, in which case it is a bit so I would get Lexus to change the rear tyres (supplied by yourself) and get them to price match the Kwik Fit alignment