Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

5 hours ago, mrdoofa said:

Just had the low tyre warning come back on tonight, I suspect the NSF is either leaking or has a slow puncture as that one was down to 25psi when I did them the other day. I’m going to take it to the local tyre shop tomorrow morning and see if it can be repaired or needs a new tyre.

Another slightly annoying thing is the front brakes are a bit squeaky under light braking!!! Do you think pads or discs or both?

Really loving this car, just these couple of niggles to sort. I got stuck in a traffic jam on my way to work today and it was fantastic to get through it without using any fuel whatsoever!!! I’m absolutely willing it NOT to go wrong because I like the car that much!!!

There was nothing wrong with the LS430 Phil, in fact it’s been a brilliant car!!! I just wanted to try again with a GS450h because I loved that car last year and decided I’d like one again despite that one going very wrong. I just hope it’s a decision I won’t regret and that lightning doesn’t strike twice!!! I love the colour too and think it looks great with the cream interior.

Glad to here that Martin.  I am enjoying my GS, we've just finished our Austrian road trip in it, very comfortable, not a single bum ache!

• Like 1

Squeaky brakes may just need some hard use to clean up.

If not, then I'd ensire all the sliding surfaces are clean. Pop out the pads out clean up the pad / caliper surfaces and apply a little copper slip. You may as well clean/lube the sliders too. Then see how they perform.

3 hours ago, Farqui said:

Squeaky brakes may just need some hard use to clean up.

If not, then I'd ensire all the sliding surfaces are clean. Pop out the pads out clean up the pad / caliper surfaces and apply a little copper slip. You may as well clean/lube the sliders too. Then see how they perform.

Be sure to get the right lubricants. See http://proslip.com and buy from https://www.amazon.co.uk/ProSlip-Brake-Caliper-Grease-Kit/dp/B07886FP12/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1521636072&sr=8-1&keywords=proslip&dpID=41tq1w8VYXL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch. Notice the promotion code LEX6YOU6 which seller did for LOC but now seems available to all!

John (no affiliation)

4 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Glad to here that Martin.  I am enjoying my GS, we've just finished our Austrian road trip in it, very comfortable, not a single bum ache!

Lee, number of miles covered, average mpg,route taken, overnight stops ???

All good info for fellow travellers.

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

Lee, number of miles covered, average mpg,route taken, overnight stops ???

All good info for fellow travellers.

Not withstanding my atrocious spelling in my message to Martin, are you addressing me or Lee young man?

27 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

Not withstanding my atrocious spelling in my message to Martin, are you addressing me or Lee young man?

I must try to awaken much earlier than I seem to do , Phil.

My apologies, I should be addressing you in respect of your Austrian trip.

I reckon that you and I might both have been Milk Monitors in our respective Primary School classes !!

I was born in the year that the FA Cup final was played at Wembley following the 2nd World War and won by Derby County (they beat Melchester Rovers 15-14 in the semis)

6 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

I must try to awaken much earlier than I seem to do , Phil.

My apologies, I should be addressing you in respect of your Austrian trip.

I reckon that you and I might both have been Milk Monitors in our respective Primary School classes !!

I was born in the year that the FA Cup final was played at Wembley following the 2nd World War and won by Derby County (they beat Melchester Rovers 15-14 in the semis)

Sadly I was never good enough to be chosen as a monitor, in fact I was monitored! And my last encounter with football was when QPR played Watford in the early 60's.  The elastic in my trousers broke causing me some trauma so I never returned.  Over 10 days we did Luxembourg, Strasbourg, Saltzburg, Vienna and Lichtenstein, then back to Luxembourg for one night.  Average 38-39 mpg with one 250 mile motorway stretch showing 43.5. A very enjoyable but expensive trip covering approximately 2,300 miles. The main must do's were the Mozart and Strauss concert and much Austrian coffee and cake, both of which were achieved, the latter being repeated many times! Sadly Hitler's Eagles Nest wasn't open until the following week so maybe next time. Martin, sorry to highjack your post, but as we've met I know you're a gent!

IMG_20180429_111618072.jpg

IMG_20180427_084942672_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180501_161736235.jpg

• Like 1

Many thanks Phil. that intro made me laugh a lot.

A wonderful journey and reminds me of my drive down to Munich in 1972 in my then Type 3 VW Fastback.

I also apologise to Martin for the hi-jack !

• Like 1

Ha ha, no worries about the thread hijacking!!! It’s been an interesting read and I may one day attempt a similar road trip myself. It’s nice to be called a gent for a change, I work as a bus driver so usually get called a lot worse things lol 😆.

I’m going to take my car into our local tyre shop on Friday afternoon now, it’s a good place I’ve been going to for years (no Kwik fit or similar crap!!!). They are going to have a look at the NSF tyre and I’ll also ask them to have a check of the front brakes whilst I’m there. The low tyre warning light came back on again and the NSF tyre had lost about 5psi in 2 days. I’ve topped it back up so it should see me through until Friday as I only have to drive about 20 miles between now and then. Hopefully it won’t be the valve and I’ll tell them to be very careful with it as I understand they can snap easily. I’ll hopefully report back on Friday evening with good news that it’s all sorted. 

I’m still so pleased with the car though, the fact the car has the performance it does and it’s still doing around 33mpg according to the computer is fantastic. My commute is about 12 miles each way on mainly 30mph and 40mph roads, the LS430 averaged about 20mpg on the same trip. Just need to get these little niggles sorted.

• Like 3

Went to the tyre shop today. Found that the tyre wasn’t getting a really tight seal against the rim because of a bit of corrosion which was allowing air to slowly escape. Both front tyres were quite badly worn too, especially the edges. They cleaned up the rims for me and I decided to spend £180 on 2 new tyres so now all 4 are brand new. Luckily the valves seem to be fine which is what I was dreading!!! The car feels much better now, especially the steering feels better. Also got the front brakes checked and both discs and pads seem fine so perhaps as suggested a bit of harder braking may be in order to clean them up although the squeaking does seem to be getting less the more I drive it anyway.

• Like 1

Phew, no TPMS leaks is a result.

Yes, try a few spirited brake sessions and try to apply the brakes hard at least once per drive. Brakes don't appreciate gentle braking mostly on the electric motors.

Good result Martin 👍

When mine was showing the same I too was dreading the TPMS.... but it was a nail in the tyre phew....

they don't come cheap for a small unit