Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello everyone. 

I own a IS220D from 2007 which currently has around 97k miles. A few weeks ago it started having a lot of white thick smoke but not always and also I didn’t had any power below 2k rpms. I have been to two different garages to see what is the problem but they tester didn’t show any errors. I have been to a third garage to rempa it and remove the DPF and EGR. The DPF was removed physically as well but now is in limp mode, with no power at all, the car is not letting me rev it more than 2k rpm and I still have no errors at all. 

Does anyone has any ideas of what I could do next?

Thank you, 

Bogdan. 

It potentially could be a head gasket issue. Check the oil filter cap to see if there is any white mayonnaise type substance on the underside and check the coolant level and any signs of contamination.

Another possibility could be a faulty air/fuel ratio sensor which will over fuel the engine or dirty MAF sensor.

White smoke - dpf problem.

Reading DTC could make a monkey also. You need to make road test with live data. Watch this parameters during driving : rpm , map , fuel pressure.

I would probably take it to Lexus and get a diagnostic done.

They seem to have their faults on the diesel.

Headgasket.

5th injector. Could be, if injecting too much fuel.

DPF issues and EGR.

I wouldn't be keen to get rid of the DPF as surely need it to pass MOT?

Hope you get it sorted.

James:smile:

• 3 months later...

I had the same problem and I manage to finally fix it. After looking at the turbo and cleaning the egr, found out just by the egr there's a pipe that had come off, didn't even noticed it especially when I was cleaning the egr valve. I've attached a picture of the pipe that caused the loss of power problem. imageproxy.php?img=&key=c3a43f52b720213eimageproxy.php?img=&key=c3a43f52b720213e

IMG_20180811_151139.jpg

IMG_20180811_154408.jpg

Hello. 

Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately nobody was able to fix my car and I had to sell it. I’ve had it for less then six months and I lost 2k£ in it. 😕 

Probably won’t buy another diesel again until I can afford one with less than 10k miles and less then 2 years old...

Again, thanks.

Kind Regards,

Bogdan.

• 2 years later...
On 8/11/2018 at 3:42 PM, Chris Holahan said:

I had the same problem and I manage to finally fix it. After looking at the turbo and cleaning the egr, found out just by the egr there's a pipe that had come off, didn't even noticed it especially when I was cleaning the egr valve. I've attached a picture of the pipe that caused the loss of power problem. imageproxy.php?img=&key=c3a43f52b720213eimageproxy.php?img=&key=c3a43f52b720213e

IMG_20180811_151139.jpg

IMG_20180811_154408.jpg

What is in that pipe? Thank you very much.

Many years ago I had a 2007 Avensis T180 with the same 2.2 engine, the same problems occurred (about 45000 miles and 5 years old I think) took it to Toyota who confirmed there were 2 known design problems with that engine , one was the pistons which had the crown redesigned, can’t remember the other. Luckily because I had full service history they replaced the engine free of charge with a rebuilt one containing the new pistons etc, I do remember them saying they would do the same for any car with service history up to 100000 miles. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links