Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Thinking of Buying an RX450h - what’s the best bet for about £17k?

Hi All,

New to the forums here but have been watching and reading from afar for months, with great advice being given to so many people!

I am looking to buy an RX450h and have a budget of about £17k. What would be the best option here? I cover around 20-25000 a year, mostly on the motorway between Leatherhead and Watford every day. I’m looking to probably keep the car for about 4-5 years.

Any advice? Thanks in advance!

I would suggest an older vehicle with relatively low mileage say 30-50k if you plan on putting 20-25k miles per year and keeping it for a while. Only reason is that it'll help to reduce some of the depreciation if its an older vehicle with a bit higher miles than usual compared to a newer one with a lot more miles than usual

3 minutes ago, Dewillia said:

There is the RX350 or the new RX200

There is no series III RX350 in the UK, only ever a 450h hybrid. The series IV had the 200t option, but that isn't available for a £17k budget, and doesn't really better the 450h for mpg on the motorway.

18 hours ago, Dewillia said:

I would not go for the Hybrid version as you will only gain the real benefits around town as opposed to motorways

Not entirely true - the 450h can reach up to 40mpg on a run, never seen an RX350 get above 30mpg ever. 

Thanks all for your feedback on this, really appreciate it! 

Is there anything I need to look out for when buying? Would it be better maybe if I kept it circa 3 years rather than 4/5 to keep the mileage down a little in which case, could I go slightly higher mileage?

Thanks in advance guys!

4 hours ago, Yoshi2210 said:

Thanks all for your feedback on this, really appreciate it! 

Is there anything I need to look out for when buying? Would it be better maybe if I kept it circa 3 years rather than 4/5 to keep the mileage down a little in which case, could I go slightly higher mileage?

Thanks in advance guys!

Not really much to look out for on these apart from service history. Otherwise they are generally bulletproof.

Mileage isn't the problem really so you could go higher mileage if you wanted.

The only issue I can see with keeping it 3 years is that you'd have to sell it and then buy another car at that point in time which would probably make little difference in terms of outright cost.

In your position, Id try to get a good condition car with low mileage for your budget regardless of its age and then just keep for 4/5 years.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201804235832498?advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=wf177rs&price-to=17000&model=RX 450H&make=LEXUS&radius=1500&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&sort=mileage&page=1

Something like the above would be ideal - Good SE-L spec too

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2018 at 8:40 PM, Yoshi2210 said:

Hi All,

New to the forums here but have been watching and reading from afar for months, with great advice being given to so many people!

I am looking to buy an RX450h and have a budget of about £17k. What would be the best option here? I cover around 20-25000 a year, mostly on the motorway between Leatherhead and Watford every day. I’m looking to probably keep the car for about 4-5 years.

Any advice? Thanks in advance!

Hi just wondering how you got on, did you purchase one in the end.  We are just about to change my wife's 400h, and have same budget (she does about 15,000miles per year).  we are pretty much set on a pre facelift advance.