Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I was wondering if other members use this all the time, I have been using this quite a bit lately and I find the car much more responsive, I have noticed though that you lose a bit of the cars smoothness during gear changes.

Hi all.

Mine stays in the eco mode only used the power mode about 4 times in 7 months.:yes:

Want to save fuel so use eco mode used to it now:yahoo:

65mike.

• Haha 1

Does the PWR mode actually use noticeably more fuel?

I have used it a few times in the 6 years I have had these cars - like mentioned above it makes the gear changes more noticeable and I believe it keeps the car in the specific rev range longer and throttle response is tightened .... having it in PWR mode, does it still require warming up on a cold start ... does it bypass the safety feature for the gear box in restricting to 5th gear until warmed up or does it bypass this it can select 6th from cold? 

On 08/05/2018 at 8:45 PM, 65mike said:

Hi all.

Mine stays in the eco mode only used the power mode about 4 times in 7 months.:yes:

65mike.

'Want to save fuel' in a 2.5L V6 automatic! I've had my IS for a year now and it came out of ECT/PWR to try Snow mode for a couple of miles on the two snowy days we had!

Todays effort (I did roll into the petrol station on minus 5 miles! Oops,) A tedious drive up to Norfolk at the weekend (got stuck in the chaos surrounding Truckfest @  Peterborough), trundle to Reading on Monday then up and down the A34.

PS Mostly run on Shell V Power, but todays tankfull was Tesco Momentum as I wasn't sure if I'd make it to my usual Shell garage.

PPS Pic was parked at work this morning so add ~8 miles to indicated figure.

Andrew

20180509_084025.jpg

On 5/8/2018 at 8:45 PM, 65mike said:

Hi all.

65mike.

Sadly there is not such mode on IS250, the PWR/Normal/Snow only changes throttle response and does nothing to your fuel economy. Side effect of PWR is that it keeps lower gear for longer if you "floor-it" and "drops the gears" quicker, Snow does opposite, changes gears early (I believe it even starts in 2nd). As such in traffic, especially if you jumping the lanes/gaps you can see increased fuel consumption. When driving steadily at the same speed the fuel consumption will be same on all the modes.

11 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Sadly there is not such mode on IS250, the PWR/Normal/Snow only changes throttle response and does nothing to your fuel economy. 

That is really the same for all vehicle. Engine modes don't make the mixture lean/rich as they all need to achieve the optimum requirement for the cats. Dulling the throttle repsonse can save fuel but you can achieve the same thing by being careful with the throttle. Changes to the transmission alters economy, as you say holding on to a gear for longer will typically use more fuel.

Only on newer vehicles does the drive mode affect other things too, such as putting the AC into economy mode.

Mines 90% on normal, sometimes I put it on PWR mode, it seems only throttle response/sensitivity is heightened and becomes more eager/jerky in slow moving traffic.

For cruising just leave it on normal, if i have a car full of people I'll use PWR so i dont need to step on it as much.

on the Ls400 forum I experienced the concensus ( I think ! ) and keep mine permanently in PWR and it is more economic on fuel ( they say ) and it does give it a little more ooomph whatever

I personally can't tell if it's fuel economic coz i never measure the mpg these days .....  too old to worry about it tbh :whistling1: 

Malc

Hi all.:thumbup:

I see every one has fallen for my little joke about saving fuel😎

As my last car before the IS250 was a 4.2 litre V8 which was a bit more heavy on fuel i am well pleased with what i get now the fuel consumption does not worry me i buy what i need each week and use the car and enjoy it so using the PWR mode does not really worry me.🙂

Linas you are correct in what you say with the snow mode it does start the car off in second gear have used it 3 or 4 times in the winter it's ok but not brilliant winter tyres would be better in my view.🙂

Now then can i get the fuel consumption up to 100mpg!!!!😁

65mike🙂

Snow mode really helps if you already have very good winter tyres and it is very slippery - I remember being late to airport and doing 80MPH (it was different country and legal BTW) at nigh in snow storm on ~10cm of fresh snow and Snow mode worked a treat, but I had new winter tyre on. It does helps a little bit if you don't have winter tires and it is a little bit snowy/slushy (like my typical UK winter)... but if you really hit slippery/icy patch on summer tires there are no system on earth which could save you. It is pretty much just knowing limitations of your car/tyres.

As for PWR saving the fuel - no it can't. Dependent on conditions It does not necessary use more fuel then Normal, but it cannot save fuel by the fact what it is doing - keeping lower gears/dropping gears earlier and increasing accelerator sensitivity. For me it is more personal taste thing - if you like your throttle more sensitive put it in PWR. I personally drive quite a lot in traffic and as @Cracksta mentioned PWR make a car little jerky and I don't like it.

• 3 weeks later...

Just driven down to devon for a week, eco mode was fine whilst on the motorways but noticed  a difference when negotiating the hills and tiny roads where my car seemed totally gutless. Switched to the power mode and seem to get a much better response. Can't see any discernable difference in consumption yet but I'll leave it on til I'm back on the motorways now I guess......😊 

You don’t drive a V6 petrol automatic and watch the fuel consumption? surely.

PWR all day long, something’s got to get that lump along the road at a decent lick.

If I wanted economy I’d take the wife’s SEAT Mii out for a spin. No thanks.   :lol:

• Like 2

leave it in PWR, I find it more responsive in all situations and really notice when it's in ECO where I've accidentally nudged the switch on the centre console

Malc

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2018 at 8:47 PM, C Andrew Green said:

'Want to save fuel' in a 2.5L V6 automatic! I've had my IS for a year now and it came out of ECT/PWR to try Snow mode for a couple of miles on the two snowy days we had!

Todays effort (I did roll into the petrol station on minus 5 miles! Oops,) A tedious drive up to Norfolk at the weekend (got stuck in the chaos surrounding Truckfest @  Peterborough), trundle to Reading on Monday then up and down the A34.

PS Mostly run on Shell V Power, but todays tankfull was Tesco Momentum as I wasn't sure if I'd make it to my usual Shell garage.

PPS Pic was parked at work this morning so add ~8 miles to indicated figure.

Andrew

20180509_084025.jpg

Ha!

IMG_20180518_191004941_LL.jpg

• Haha 3