Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX400h wing mirror glass changeout.

I need to change the wing mirror glass on the passenger side, I don't want to damage the motor behind whilst removing the glass, which is the best way to remove the glass/mirror? 

12 minutes ago, SLACKBLADDER said:

Don't remove the glass Summit  replacement glasses do a stick on one you will need some Halfords number plate double sided tape on a roll it's green  use this to attach the replacement  it works well 

Previous owner removed the original glass and stuck a cheap unheated replacement to the motor, I want to replace it with a heated one that attaches to the motor properly.  

On my 400h I got ebay

There was a video on youtube how to change it, Just used a screwdriver and old t shirt

Pushed T shirt behind glass and worked it around and used T shirt to lever it off.

Seem to remember you start at the bottom and work up.

heating element works fine but no auto dimming

As Maurice says the glass is clipped onto the back frame at the bottom and hooked on the top mounts, a yellow duster fed behind the bottom section coming out the sides usually releases the bottom clips with a sharp tug then lift the bottom of the mirror and pull out and up to release the top hooks.

If however the replacement mirror has been stuck directly to the frame behind it may be wise to heat the mirror with a hair dryer for a short while to soften the adhesive to minimise damage.

2 hours ago, steve2006 said:

As Maurice says the glass is clipped onto the back frame at the bottom and hooked on the top mounts, a yellow duster fed behind the bottom section coming out the sides usually releases the bottom clips with a sharp tug then lift the bottom of the mirror and pull out and up to release the top hooks.

If however the replacement mirror has been stuck directly to the frame behind it may be wise to heat the mirror with a hair dryer for a short while to soften the adhesive to minimise damage.

Sounds like the way forward, is it easy to fit the replacement in place?

Yes Acer it was easy to replace.

The unit I got from eBay had the plastic back plate attached and just popped in. 

Seem to remember the lugs for the heating element were over sized and I just cut them down with a snips to make them narrower to match the width of the crimp on the power supply wires.

I ordered and fitted this mirror from eBay, item 122552762391 and I can confirm it fits perfectly and the heated mirror connectors were the right size, so basically plug and play!

I can recommend this mirror replacement 100% It seems the cheaper ones are not very good but spend a little more and its well worth it!