Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

With our matching spring lengths, I agree John.

The spring isolators were quite compressed, so renewing the pair each side would help. But I doubt they'd give me the missing 30mm.

The OS had a seriously rusted low damper bolt, it was extremely tight to remove and needed a good ream out. So it's good they've all been cleaned/lubed after all these years.

Here's some pics of the spacers being cut down

41a06de0f4dc9c55ba7941b06411869c.jpg&key=88402cb2e18bd28d88122942ee480d94c48f1658483e7602cc6b342d02d1022a

e0c162dd7f4f39b3469c28ac403e6978.jpg&key=5dd4670a0b99eb3777d1597989bc5c51c6233e02775533fabcfdafde1dae16f0

On 5/8/2018 at 7:14 PM, Farqui said:

Previous arch heights measurements; 

• FL 363 / 361mm
  • FR 361/ 363 mm
  • RL 332 / 333mm
  • RR 349 / 343mm

Taken from the top of the center cap to the top of the arch.

Update: the new arch measurements have improved with an overall lift to the rear and interestingly the fronts are now down a smidge.

So the higher rear is transferring more weight to the front, so that should help with the ride/steering.

• FL 359 / 352 / 358mm
  • FR 357/ 356 / 355mm
  • RL 345 / 351 / 348mm
  • RR 361 / 355 / 357mm

The middle 1st and 3rd measurements were taken on my drive and I don't think it's as level as it appears, as the NSR seems to be under more compression.

Measurements can vary quite a quite on a single arch, I've tried to measure the car on level ground especially when out/about.  I guess there's some stiction in the bushes/dampers that prevent completely free suspension movement and settling.  After all It's bushed and not rose jointed suspension.

After 100+ miles driving on Sunday, the three OSR shock tower bolts had worked loose and started creakin'.  I didn't over tighten them as I didn't want to compress the tower spacers to much.  They were easy to nip back up and I'll recheck them in a few hundred miles or so (or earlier if the creak returns).  Thank gawd I fixed all the other boot rattles otherwise I might not have heard these! 

The NSR spring does carry the 12 volt Battery mounted behind the axle line on that side. So this will add more than it's own weight to that spring which could account for the difference.
You seem to have gained on average about 20 mm rise from a 19 mm spacer. A little less than I anticipated.

John.

Good point about the 12v Battery.

Yes, the suspension settled quite a bit after the initial measurements.

After the car had been on the stands for a couple of days, with the spacers fitted when I dropped it back to the ground the rears measured 390mm!  That's some 40mm / 2"s higher than it sits now, which got me worried for moment but it soon settled after a test drive. Phew!

10 minutes ago, Farqui said:

Good point about the 12v battery.

Yes, the suspension settled quite a bit after the initial measurements.

After the car had been on the stands for a couple of days, with the spacers fitted when I dropped it back to the ground the rears measured 390mm!  That's some 40mm / 2"s higher than it sits now, which got me worried for moment but it soon settled after a test drive. Phew!

I cannot see why it should "apart from a placebo effect", but does the car seem to ride any better.

John. 

It does seem to ride a bit better over the bumps and seems more compliant but as you say it could be a placebo/feel good factor.

It sits better, so I'm happy.

3 minutes ago, Farqui said:

It does seem to ride a bit better over the bumps and seems more compliant but as you say it could be a placebo/feel good factor.

It sits better, so I'm happy.

Well you have achieved what you set out to do without spending a fortune. It is easy "not on the pocket" to throw money at this sort of problem, and it feels even better knowing this. Well done.

John.

• Like 1

Anyone know exactly how the sport mode operates on the suspension in the car?

Luckily I changed my rear struts 2 years ago at Lexus when I bought the car, and the fronts were changed last year under warranty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brian,

In sport mode the dampers are stiffened up.

Thanks to Britprius I know this one and I played with my old dampers.😊

There is a rod which goes down the inside of the main damper piston shaft. This is rotated to change the damper characteristics. I assume a little motor on the top of the mounting does the rotating.

You were fortunate getting your fronts changed under warranty.

John

• 3 weeks later...