Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A couple of months ago I bought a 2006 IS250 after mine was written off.

The "new" one had done 25k miles - its now on 27k ish. So I have been through the usual's and all is well. I have changed oil and filters since I bought it (have not flushed the engine like I usually do but will start to do that at the next oil change). Belts, rubbers, bodywork are all good. I will carry on with the servicing of it every 6 months (oil change etc) ... as its such a low mileage for the year (12 years old) is there anything else I should be looking at or taking it easy with.

Brake fluid and a partial coolant change will be next just for peace of mind its been changed...

9 hours ago, is200 Newbie said:

The "new" one had done 25k miles - its now on 27k ish. So I have been through the usual's and all is well. I have changed oil and filters since I bought it (have not flushed the engine like I usually do but will start to do that at the next oil change). Belts, rubbers, bodywork are all good. I will carry on with the servicing of it every 6 months (oil change etc) ... as its such a low mileage for the year (12 years old) is there anything else I should be looking at or taking it easy with.

Brake fluid and a partial coolant change will be next just for peace of mind its been changed...

Hi Newbie, my car is very similar,  ie 2008 with 27k, I am interested in your comment about flushing the engine at oil change and was wondering what opinions were on this subject, is there any evidence that this is actually any benefit?

11 hours ago, is200 Newbie said:

A couple of months ago I bought a 2006 IS250 after mine was written off...

I think you've pretty much covered all the bases. I assume you've checked the MOT history and if it's showing the car as doing 2k miles per year I'd say that's enough to keep everything ticking over. Belt or chain on these engines? I don't know (different car) but again I assume you've seen to that if it's needed.

12 hours ago, is200 Newbie said:

Blimey that's what you call Low Mileage ... and some!!

1 hour ago, rich1068 said:

I think you've pretty much covered all the bases. I assume you've checked the MOT history and if it's showing the car as doing 2k miles per year I'd say that's enough to keep everything ticking over. Belt or chain on these engines? I don't know (different car) but again I assume you've seen to that if it's needed.

Chain

The timing is a chain.

It is low mileage - was a bit concerned at first as 2k per year is not a lot for one of these - it had been garaged though and it tells. A few long journeys into ownership and its all good. I was just a bit wary on the age that's all ... It has passed every MOT and has had a full service history. Due to the age I am not going to carry on with the service history at the dealers. I think it would only be good for peace of mind if I did but I do all the servicing on it anyway so I don't really see the point. Also I plan to keep it so I know what needs to be done will be done so not really worried about the depreciation. Everything on it is receipted and kept in a folder (oil / service items etc)

I don't think its run in yet !

I think I will gradually add coolant to the system - partial change the fluid as its not very easy process to do the whole system - was thinking about removing it via a syringe (I have a big litre one) from the reservoir every 6 months or so and replacing a litre back in. Was thinking along the lines that it will always be partially  "renewed" to a point where its getting a small change each time (I know it holds 9 litres) ... just thought this way would be easier - stupid idea or not?? 

Engine flush - I did not do it when I changed the oil recently but will do it at the next change. I have always done this - no conclusive proof that it helped but on the other hand I had no issue either. Just gone by what it says on the time and a few internet recommendations. It MAY? have helped to cure the VVTI rattle on startup as it went after a few flushes and oil changes on the last one I had but again, cant prove it. It should keep the engine clean and prolong the oil I reckon so, for me, I will still use it.

With these low miles I am also thinking of petrol additive every so often to keep the injectors etc clean - carbon buildup was also another issue with the last car (at least that's what the internet said!!) but again, after a few doses of the BG fluid this also went so getting off on the right foot to try and prevent any issues as I reckon I will keep the car.

Wifey wants a motorhome so the car will always remain low mileage as I guess we will be out in that instead.

1 hour ago, is200 Newbie said:

The timing is a chain.

It is low mileage - was a bit concerned at first as 2k per year is not a lot for one of these - it had been garaged though and it tells. A few long journeys into ownership and its all good. I was just a bit wary on the age that's all ... It has passed every MOT and has had a full service history. Due to the age I am not going to carry on with the service history at the dealers. I think it would only be good for peace of mind if I did but I do all the servicing on it anyway so I don't really see the point. Also I plan to keep it so I know what needs to be done will be done so not really worried about the depreciation. Everything on it is receipted and kept in a folder (oil / service items etc)

I don't think its run in yet !

I think I will gradually add coolant to the system - partial change the fluid as its not very easy process to do the whole system - was thinking about removing it via a syringe (I have a big litre one) from the reservoir every 6 months or so and replacing a litre back in. Was thinking along the lines that it will always be partially  "renewed" to a point where its getting a small change each time (I know it holds 9 litres) ... just thought this way would be easier - stupid idea or not?? 

Engine flush - I did not do it when I changed the oil recently but will do it at the next change. I have always done this - no conclusive proof that it helped but on the other hand I had no issue either. Just gone by what it says on the time and a few internet recommendations. It MAY? have helped to cure the VVTI rattle on startup as it went after a few flushes and oil changes on the last one I had but again, cant prove it. It should keep the engine clean and prolong the oil I reckon so, for me, I will still use it.

With these low miles I am also thinking of petrol additive every so often to keep the injectors etc clean - carbon buildup was also another issue with the last car (at least that's what the internet said!!) but again, after a few doses of the BG fluid this also went so getting off on the right foot to try and prevent any issues as I reckon I will keep the car.

Wifey wants a motorhome so the car will always remain low mileage as I guess we will be out in that instead.

That's exactly how I was going to perform a slow process coolant change.:biggrin:  The thought of getting air locks put me off draining and replacing all in one hit.

BG I use too. Once every 10 - 12,000mls or so.

We are also pondering a motor home (likely to be LHD for european trips) as retirement beckons. Then we have to decide which car to lose the Lex or the MX5 with PRHT ....aaaaah decisions!!!

Cheers

Keith

4 hours ago, normski2 said:

Chain

Interesting. I did not know that. Something else to consider if I get itchy feet with my IS300.

3 hours ago, is200 Newbie said:

If you're only doing low miles (thinking about cost) could you just run on V Power or whatever? That's what mine gets. Mine's averaged about 3600 per year since 2002.

I did a coolant change on mine without any issues. The rad drain plug is very easy to get at from above and this alone will drain a significant amount of coolant. I did manage to locate one of the engine block drain plugs ( driver's side ) and with this I think I managed to drain about 8 litres. I do have the advantage of having a pit in my garage so this made the search for the engine drain plugs somewhat easier ! Re-filling was straightforward and I didn't have any issues with airlocks. Lexus/Toyota "pink" coolant (as opposed to the more commonly used and cheaper "red" version) is the one to use.

Enjoy,

Dec.

4 hours ago, normski2 said:

That's exactly how I was going to perform a slow process coolant change.:biggrin:  The thought of getting air locks put me off draining and replacing all in one hit.

BG I use too. Once every 10 - 12,000mls or so.

We are also pondering a motor home (likely to be LHD for european trips) as retirement beckons. Then we have to decide which car to lose the Lex or the MX5 with PRHT ....aaaaah decisions!!!

Cheers

Keith

You could keep both cars - tow the MX .... decision made ...!   :yahoo:

On 5/9/2018 at 7:18 AM, Gramera flash said:

Hi Newbie, my car is very similar,  ie 2008 with 27k, I am interested in your comment about flushing the engine at oil change and was wondering what opinions were on this subject, is there any evidence that this is actually any benefit?

I am doing flush on mine every other time (I change oil twice and flush once every 12k), but mine is 180k soon.

The difference is noticeable, after flush I can do even 7,8,9k miles without sticking lifters or rattling cam gears, oil looks much cleaner for much longer as well. So my changes are more like - flush + oil for 7-8k miles, then oil only for another 4-5k miles, repeat.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Linas.P said:

I am doing flush on mine every other time (I change oil twice and flush once every 12k), but mine is 180k soon.

The difference is noticeable, after flush I can do even 7,8,9k miles without sticking lifters or rattling cam gears, oil looks much cleaner for much longer as well. So my changes are more like - flush + oil for 7-8k miles, then oil only for another 4-5k miles, repeat.

I can see the merits of this if your vehicle has done 180k, but as I’m only at 27k I don’t see any advantage, apparently Honda advices against the practice of engine flushing 

1 hour ago, Gramera flash said:

apparently Honda advices against the practice of engine flushing 

I can see the logic in this as if you flush/clean a dirty aged engine that may actually have a piece of crud somewhere that is sealing a failing gasket/seal then that may actually leak afterwards. But in a relatively new/clean engine then unless the product used has any effect on rubber/silicon gaskets or seals then I can't see this problem occurring and on going used may keep the engine like new!

paul m.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Texas said:

But in a relatively new/clean engine then unless the product used has any effect on rubber/silicon gaskets or seals then I can't see this problem occurring and on going used may keep the engine like new!

Yes exactly... me using it on 180k engine is actually risky, using it on 27k engine is less risky, but probably pointless. 

Main reason I am using flush is to prevent sticking lifters/rattling cam gears and it gives ~2-3k extra mileage on the oil, so overall it is probably economical (?!) if I consider putting in Castrol Magnatec for ~£12/L... but because I am buying it during discounts for like ~£6/L it probably would be just as good replacing oil more often. Finally, I don't know what Lexus puts during the service, so I like to get rid of as much of that stuff as possible and I don't run it for long.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links