Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX300 - What to look for?

Might be making a change from my '02 IS300 to an RX300. I stress might!

If I do I'll be looking for something in a similar vein - low mileage, low owners, Lexus history. A lovely one owner, retired couple car would be ideal :biggrin: I assume reliability is on a par with the IS of the same era but is there anything in particular I should be looking at?

First of all, stay clear of the SEL version as these have air suspension and it can be quite problematic on the Series 2 RXs. I've never owned a car with air suspension but I have been a passenger in one or two and in my opinion it adds very little (if anything) to the comfort of the ride but it introduces a whole new level of complexity and expense when it goes wrong.

We bought our RX300 at about 76,000 miles, had it converted to LPG, and covered about 22-23,000 in the two years we had it with no trouble at all. They're built on the same body as the 400h, so may be prone to water ingress at the back, although ours wasn't.

All in all, a superb car that we had originally meant to keep for many years and many, many more miles. The only reason we changed it was that we both hit 60 years old, our circumstances changed and we decided to treat ourselves to something newer to see us into retirement.

If you do decide to go for a 300, I would seriously consider an LPG conversion as they really are not brilliant on fuel, but they are a great car.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks sorcerer.

I'd seen a few comments on here regarding the air suspension so duly noted! And I know they're thirsty but I don't do many miles. 5-6k per year. And my IS isn't exactly economical.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rich1068 said:

Might be making a change from my '02 IS300 to an RX300. I stress might!

If I do I'll be looking for something in a similar vein - low mileage, low owners, Lexus history. A lovely one owner, retired couple car would be ideal :biggrin: I assume reliability is on a par with the IS of the same era but is there anything in particular I should be looking at?

For me, the reversing camera is a must - it's a big car.

• Like 1

The rx300 is a fab car. The fuel is it’s only real draw back but you have to expect that. It doesn’t bother me as I only do 5000 miles a year too.

My points are

-  go for a pre 2006 as they changed the tax, it jumps from £295 to £500 :O

- look for a Se model to avoid the air suspension but also some of these have the reversing camera which is a great advantage. Or an se-l that has been converted to coil overs etc.

- a minor note check the CD player works as some have faults. 

- all in all a reliable car, you won’t regret owning one :)  

• Like 1

Well the one that's caught my eye is overdue the cambelt assuming it's every ten years. 

And I thought it was the 2JZ like my IS but it's not is it?

On 5/10/2018 at 3:36 AM, Nickyt211 said:

-  go for a pre 2006 as they changed the tax, it jumps from £295 to £500 :O

You are a little out of date on the road tax prices... unfortunately it's now £315 for pre 23 March 2006 (RX300) and now a whopping £555 for post March 2006 cars (RX300/350)

I'm still looking for the right RX myself...  I viewed an 05 plate RX400h locally a couple of weeks ago and was nearly ready to buy, but then I spotted drops of water and rust from a boot seam underneath the car... lifted the boot tray a little (the poppers were already out, so someone had already been investigating) and saw a pool of water.... walked away.

I've viewed a couple of other RX400h's and an RX300 that did not seem to have the water ingress problem, but they were not up to scratch in other areas (history/condition etc)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rich1068 said:

Any of these water ingress problems with the RX300 do you know?

Yes

Not sure if some of the issues are 400h related to the extra weight causing stress on seams but I've seen reports of two or three different sources of water ingress on the petrol models. There just weren't may RX300/RX350s sold in the UK compared to the 400h so the majority of reports are for the hybrid model.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes I thought it was near that sort of price. I looked at a lovely 06 one last year and was just about to sign the paper when I saw the tax I was gutted. Seems unfair when a car 2 years older is so much cheaper to tax , I got one in the end I love my rx300 

• Like 1

I agree with you Nickyt211... the RX350 was originally top of the list for me, but emotionally, I just can't live with that level of car tax, a real shame as it's a lovely car (a relative of mine has one)... although the slightly better mpg over the Rx300 would go some distance to compensate. 

On another matter on what to look out for on the RX300... are you (rich1068) looking at either the SE or SE-L... I'm sure you are aware the SE-L has air suspension which can become an expensive problem. I've noticed a lot of sellers who are clearly aware buyers are trying to avoid the air suspension model are advertising their RX300 as an SE version, but looking at the pictures you often discover it's the SE-L with air suspension. Here is an example

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201805106366717?seller-type=private&keywords=Lexus RX&price-to=12000&radius=1500&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&postcode=pl219da&advertising-location=at_cars&sort=distance&page=1

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, rich1068 said:

I intended to avoid the air suspension but how can you tell just from the pictures you linked to?

You need to look out for the height control switch above the gear selector (also on that vehicle it has the wood pack (wooden steering wheel) which was only an option on the SE-L models).

2021371202_ScreenShot2018-05-12at17_28_35.png.206dad7746bf9ba19461858bcfeefd5c.png

• Thanks 1

Well it seems my search has unfortunately taken a bit of a wrong turn.

More or less throughout this I'd intended to buy this one

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201805086299597?logcode=visc&fromSA=true

Just like my IS but in RX form. Full Lexus history, one lady owner, low mileage, spoke to the previous owner, spoke to Southend Lexus. Best colour for one too I thought. A few calls and messages back and forth between myself and the seller, all good. He even dropped the price a bit because the cambelt is well overdue.

Then tonight while discussing deposits etc I get a really offensive racist video from him via Whatsapp that was clearly intended for someone else but came to me. My jaw nearly hit the floor.

So, Essex Car Centre in Billericay (a family run business with a great reputation) is run by a guy called Chris who thinks it's OK to share racist videos. Thanks but no thanks.

Gutted.

Edited by janey
inappropriate comment
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

£6k for a 2004 RX300.  You should be paying £2500-3000 for an ok example and £4000 for an excellent example.   Way way overpriced.  Buy an excellent example of an Rx400 for £6k.  However, I would  be looking  at paying max £5k for a Rx400.

20 hours ago, Nickyt211 said:

I agree with fsport that price is ridiculous. Nice colour and spec but I paid £3500 for mine last year with 68k on the clock. It’s just way overpriced

I agree.

I think 'he' saved you a lot of money.

Car looks 'nice', but at a price.

Fate? 

I once had an IS300 Sportcross and have owned an RX300 SE

I would say make sure you get one with sat nav and reverse camera, you may not use the sat nav but the interior looks a lot better with it. As others have said avoid sel, air suspension  too expensive to fix, buy pre March 06 otherwise you will get shafted on VED/ road tax

Make sure it comes with the luggage cover, these are expensive only available from Lexus and a lot had them missing when I was looking

Belt change is every 90k or 10 years whichever is first, get water pump done at same time. Don't know much it is, mine had already been changed.

The IS300 liked a drink, the RX300 is even worse, fuel economy is shocking, you won't see 300 miles to a tank and it's a big fuel tank nearly 16 gallons. I only do 5k a year so don't really care but have owned V8 cars that were a lot quicker and more economical. I used to get about 26ish in the IS300 Sportcross, gen 2 GS300 25ish, gen GS300 about 32, the 6 speed and direct injection make a huge difference.

Performance is not great is about 9ish seconds 0-60, gearbox is not quick to kick down and a bit dopey, no buttons on steering wheel to change gear, have to use gearstick. The car rolls a lot in corners and doesn't like being chucked about, the is300 is a lot more fun to drive.

It's not all negative though, the boot is huge, lots of space, nothing ever broke, the heated seats get really toasty, loads of toys, super build quality, the xenons are a lot brighter than the IS300, drop the rear seats and it's like a transit van, invest in an up to date nav disc (£25) and it will do the job.

I didn't the like the OEM Bridgestones, too much road noise, the Dunlop SP270 is a much better. 

Hope this helps

• Thanks 1

It does Prince Bob. Thank you. The search goes on.

A slight sense of urgency now because I've promised my IS300 to my dad :ohmy: He's very excited.

2 hours ago, Prince Bob said:

Make sure it comes with the luggage cover, these are expensive only available from Lexus and a lot had them missing when I was looking

I assume you mean the parcel shelf.  Just had a look on eBay at the silly prices.  If only I had known.  I just binned two of them at the local recycling centre last week whilst doing a garage spring clean.

I personally cannot stand the parcel shelf.  They just get in the way.  Had no idea they would be worth anything though.

• Sad 1