Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX300 - What to look for?

Have just come back from a run to Hampshire in my RX300. ( I did not dawdle - but did not belt it either ) - I got a computer indicated 28.7 mpg. That is much better than I expected. However, I average 22 mpg usually. On a long run they are not that bad - but short journeys really kill the mpg. It is a heavy car to move from stationary - basic physics means you use a lot more energy.

To me it was such a lovely drive that it was well worth the extra cost compared to travelling in my diesel. I agree with all the comments above. Personally I would be prepared to pay over the odds for a good low mileage car with a full service history.

I think they are remarkable value for money.

• Thanks 1

At least I'm starting from an IS300. Thirsty to slightly thirstier :smile: But room for all the ******* that a dad of 3 young kids has to carry around. And yes, I'm prepared to pay over too. I know some previous posters have poo poo'd the price but that history and condition comes at a price and it's a price I'm willing to pay.

Diesels are awful aren't they? I remember getting my first company supplied diesel and thinking "So this is how it's going to be is it" and putting up with them for years. In my view it really doesn't matter what you get they're all dreadful. Don't get me wrong, I've had some diesels cars I've really liked but I'd have swapped out that tractor engine for a petrol in a heartbeat. Forums are full of drivers banging on about torque and mid-range pull, thanks but no thanks. 

Same with my IS. Sits at more or less 3k assuming I'm doing an indicated 75-80mph with the satnav telling me I'm actually doing 70mph.

9 hours ago, rich1068 said:

Diesels are awful aren't they? I remember getting my first company supplied diesel and thinking "So this is how it's going to be is it" and putting up with them for years. In my view it really doesn't matter what you get they're all dreadful. Don't get me wrong, I've had some diesels cars I've really liked but I'd have swapped out that tractor engine for a petrol in a heartbeat. Forums are full of drivers banging on about torque and mid-range pull, thanks but no thanks. 

Some diesels seem to be better than others. I had an Octavia 1.9 110 bhp and it was as sweet as a nut ........  BUT the turbo went, so economy overall went out of the window.

Personally, my main concern is reliability. Even little things always going wrong - even if they can be fixed - really irritate me.

I really appreciate the build quality compared with run-of-the-mill cars. The switch gear and controls have a very solid feel. In this modern age the only downside is the fuel consumption but if you are doing a high mileage the LPG option is there - then you have the best of both worlds. If mine was to go south now, I would probably look for a 450h but this 300RX is more than enough for me to be really satisfied. 

Good to hear. These RX do seem to be very well regarded. I've actually done a little more browsing and there are one or two RX400h available if I was to stretch my budget. Decisions, decisions... (but what nice decisions to have to make :biggrin:)

Before I bought my 400h I looked at 300/350's after a couple of test drives I rejected the 300 as just being too slow and thirsty. The 350 was quick but boy did it like a drink. The 400h was right in the goldilocks zone, able to lift up it's skirts and go for it when needed but if you've got time to just amble along it'll get 40+ mpg.

Yes there are worries about the hybrid system / Battery but find a good one with service history that's had any recalls or warranty work done and it'll be fine. Mine is approaching 11 years old and just sailed through yet another hybrid health check with no issues.

Be aware though that parts and servicing can be expensive Lexus wanted £2000 for a new cat back exhaust system. My local garage fixed it for £120 so there are ways around this.

I've looked at a couple of RX400h now and it appears that my budget is a mint RX300 or an RX400h that's a bit tatty. I could afford a 400h that's a bit tidier but I'm having a bit of a mental block at the moment when it comes to spending the money! It's an age thing I think...

15 hours ago, rich1068 said:

I've looked at a couple of RX400h now and it appears that my budget is a mint RX300 or an RX400h that's a bit tatty. I could afford a 400h that's a bit tidier but I'm having a bit of a mental block at the moment when it comes to spending the money! It's an age thing I think...

I totally understand. I decided on a mint RX 300 rather than spend double on the 400h. At the time I saved about £5000 - which is a lot of fuel for the RX 300!

RX300 spend approx £3k.

RX400 spend approx £5k

RX450 should be around £8k but they aren't. Many average ones still want circa £15k which is a complete rip off given what an RX300 offers you at £3k.

I like the 2016 onwards RX450 but those are £35k right now.

Rather put my money into a £3k RX300 and a used Porsche/Lotus sports car or even a RCF.

I've just just joined the forum, I've picked up an RX300 SE (already done homework about the air suspension) with some small scars but immaculate inside for £2.5K The reversing camera isn't working, but I should be able to fix that. Breakers want £120 for a used one so I'm looking at alternatives. The IS canera looks the same housing but just with a different bracket, but they're only £30 so I might just buy an IS camera and try a bracket swap. I've a £5 chinese NTSC camera I'm going to use to diagnose if it's the camera that is faulty or the wiring.

I came from a Volvo V70 with over 290,000 miles on the clock so 23mpg around town is about the same as it cost me in petrol and oil for the Volvo. :-)

Love the toys on the RX. Can't believe everything works apart from the camera. It even has the rear load cover. Some slight knocking underneath but having a waggle about I've found the rear ARB bushes are shot. Another job for the bank holiday weekend. From the forums I see they are hard on anti-roll-bar drop links and bushes. But they're pretty cheap from eBay.

All in all not a bad old barge.

Welcome to the forum Delphius1. 

My gaze keeps getting turned by the 400h but if the right 300 comes along I'm sure I can be persuaded :smile:

Very nicely. Amazed at how seamless the switch from Battery to engine is.

There are one or two things that need attention but that's half the fun. Unfortunately it's been a London car so the bodywork does have some battle scars but mechanically it appears to be spot on.

I'll put some more info in another thread.

• Like 1