Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS250 vs IS200T

Having owned 3 IS's in total it is quite interesting to read some comments on comparisons between the two engines. Most interestingly the comments from existing IS250 owners naturally against the newer version of their car - the 200T. My last IS250 was a 61-plate SE-L and it was a lovely car however the drive wasn't especially inspiring. On idle it made that annoying ticking sound and when it was cold it was very gravelly and gutless- frustratingly so (also the same with my previous 09 plate) Once warmed up and on the move it was very smooth and fairly quick but then V6's normally are. My new shape IS200T is quieter on idle and just as quiet at motorway speeds. Sure it is a little louder at town speeds and the gearbox has too many gears so can it a bit sluggish at low speeds. Those many gears come into their own at motorway speeds though- the power is far, far superior to the old model. As is handling, space, interior design and pretty much every aspect. Plus that awful digital clock has gone. I haven't driven a 328i and wouldn't particularly want to drive something as common and inexclusive but have been in various BMW's and Mercedes's and yes BMW's are quicker off the mark but so what? I also have an S3 so have a 0-60 time of 4.6s if I really want to. To conclude, the new shape IS is far superior to the previous one in my view. You never get a bad Lexus though, do you? The 200T is a good engine spoilt a little by the occasionally indecisive gearbox but it's not really that bad at all. I am not biased as I have changed cars regularly so have no need to be. As for comments on the forum of poor economy - I don't notice it and am pretty happy with 500 mile tank range of mainly motorway driving. I recently looked at changing the car before buying the S3 but couldn't see what else competed for the money. I was left cold by the C200 Coupe which had a very cheap interior finish and uncultured engine- when you rev'd it the whole car would shake. So I decided to keep the IS and get my wife the S3 (but it is for me too!). As a used by the 200T makes a serious good car in my view and it makes sense that they stopped due to slow sales however just coming back from Australia there a loads- in fact in Cottlesloe (Perth WA) they are equivalent to a VW Golf over here - same in US. These are the main markets for Lexus - clearly Australians and American's value quality and spec over the English

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links