Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Pad wear and other service items

Just had the 6 year/60,000 mile service.  The report shows front pads at 9.6mm and rears at 8.1 (I've used .4mm front and rear over the last 10,475 miles).  My car has done 45,500 and has had no replacement pads in its lifetime (checked this with Lexus).  Is this amount of wear usual?  If so I calculate that I've got approx. 125,000 miles more to go before the fronts are down to 3mm and 122,000 on the rears before they're down to 3mm (assuming wear is consistent).  I've always been light on my brakes but that seems remarkable.  And an update on the Cross Climates:  The fronts are down to 5.5mm and the rears to 6mm after approx. 15,000 miles (I've worn down approx. 1mm on each tyre in 10,475 miles).  I usually change at 3mm so hopefully will get 25 to 30,000 out of them.

Incidentally they replaced the spark plugs.  I was going to argue they didn't need replacing until 60,000 but as thye gave me approx. 10% discount I didn't bother as it paid  a good proportion of the cost of the plugs (£14.12 +VAT each) but not the labour for changing them, however long that is.  However, on the Lexus service sheet, which I got with all the other service documentation, it states 'Replace spark plugs every 60,000 miles (platinum/iridium)', which is different to the warranty and service book,  which states: 'Spark plugs (iridium type) Every 60,000miles/6 years*' the asterisk states, 'whichever comes first'.  Just out of interest if the spark plugs weren't changed at the frequencies detailed in the warranty and service book would any warranty relating to the spark plugs be invalidated if I'd waited until 60,000 miles, which will probably be in another 18 months/two years.

19 hours ago, Glover said:

Just had the 6 year/60,000 mile service.  The report shows front pads at 9.6mm and rears at 8.1 (I've used .4mm front and rear over the last 10,475 miles).  My car has done 45,500 and has had no replacement pads in its lifetime (checked this with Lexus).  Is this amount of wear usual?  If so I calculate that I've got approx. 125,000 miles more to go before the fronts are down to 3mm and 122,000 on the rears before they're down to 3mm (assuming wear is consistent).  I've always been light on my brakes but that seems remarkable.  And an update on the Cross Climates:  The fronts are down to 5.5mm and the rears to 6mm after approx. 15,000 miles (I've worn down approx. 1mm on each tyre in 10,475 miles).  I usually change at 3mm so hopefully will get 25 to 30,000 out of them.

Incidentally they replaced the spark plugs.  I was going to argue they didn't need replacing until 60,000 but as thye gave me approx. 10% discount I didn't bother as it paid  a good proportion of the cost of the plugs (£14.12 +VAT each) but not the labour for changing them, however long that is.  However, on the Lexus service sheet, which I got with all the other service documentation, it states 'Replace spark plugs every 60,000 miles (platinum/iridium)', which is different to the warranty and service book,  which states: 'Spark plugs (Iridium type) Every 60,000miles/6 years*' the asterisk states, 'whichever comes first'.  Just out of interest if the spark plugs weren't changed at the frequencies detailed in the warranty and service book would any warranty relating to the spark plugs be invalidated if I'd waited until 60,000 miles, which will probably be in another 18 months/two years.

HI Garry.  See items in bold re questions.  The remainder was just sharing; which usually gets a interesting thread going:-)

If your plugs became seized which resulted in additional labour required to remove them / damage to engine and they hadn't been replaced at the 6 year interval then yes I'd suspect the warranty wouldn't cover that work.

Thanks Colin; I'd worried after seeing the dealer check sheet that I'd paid for unnecessary work.  Do you know if the check sheet that I received with the service documents is a standard Lexus document or is it peculiar to the dealership (Inchcape)

I think it is a standard Lexus document, and not vehicle specific.

If you are light on your brakes then the pads/discs will last ages - most of the light braking is done by the hybrid motors, not the mechanical brakes.

So out of sync with the warranty and service book.  I wondered if the regenerative braking had an impact; looks like it has quite a significant impact