Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

15 years later. LS430 is still the best used luxury car...

6 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

Buy your old one back!

I can't, it's 50% more than I sold it for!  If, and it is a big if, I ever got another one, it would be a late facelift. I need to be content with my GS, it's a lovely car in immaculate condition so I need to stop thinking about alternatives.....😀

30 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

I can't, it's 50% more than I sold it for!  If, and it is a big if, I ever got another one, it would be a late facelift. I need to be content with my GS, it's a lovely car in immaculate condition so I need to stop thinking about alternatives.....😀

Well i've stopped thinking about alternatives since i had the 430 lol!

• Like 1

I NEARLY pressed the button on a £3500 LS 400 Ser 4 this week......7 years after I sold my last one. (It was reduced drastically).

But.....I didn't.

There's something about them, even though I never was enamoured of the shape.

But the way roads are getting, I'm leaning towards a 4 X 4......

8 hours ago, Chris Skelton said:

But the way roads are getting, I'm leaning towards a 4 X 4......

The way the roads 'have got' in Brent they'll be going to shop in half tracks soon.

The LS430 is indeed a great value car and old ones are holding their value well at the moment.

Not wishing to go off topic here, but considering the last post from Denis, it's not as if we don't pay enough tax for the roads.

We pay tax on our purchase, having paid tax on our salary to be able to make a purchase, then we pay road tax annually plus massive tax on the petrol we buy to fuel our vehicles plus MOT tax.

Our grandchildren will find themselves buying petrol on the black market or having to drive their  V8s in China, India or some other polluting country without 'green' taxes. 

If they put the car tax on petrol the value of bigger engine cars would go up not down as more people would want to own them as Sunday driver.

By my rough calculations, if you do 5,000 miles p.a. and they added 10p tax to a litre of petrol then you would pay about £100 extra. My current car tax is circa £300+ and post 2006 cars are £600+. Having 3 cars with a combine mileage of 10,000 (strangely, I can only drive one at a time!) I'm paying nearly £1,000 p.a. and P.S. They reckon on there being 3.2 million un-taxed cars on UK roads.

Seemingly car tax on petrol wasn't introduced as it would be unfair on high mileage users - but isn't it them causing the pollution and damaging the roads 'thrashing' about in 1 - 1.4 litre hatchbacks?

Got that off my chest... that feels better!  

After multiple potholes appeared on my estate roads I emailed the local authority giving details of where they were located and included a map. 

I told them they had a duty of care to ensure the roads were maintained in a safe condition and gave them notice that if repairs were not carried out within a reasonable time ( I stated 2 weeks) I would hold them totally liable for any damage to my vehicle as a result of these potholes.

They were all repaired within a week!

41 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

and included a map

might of course have also co-incided where the CEO of the Council  lives :yahoo:

Malc

Damien! How can you even THINK that?!!! Petrol has circa 80% of its cost as tax already! There's Fuel tax, which is then Vat-taxed.....

If all the money raised from fuel alone was spent ON roads they'd be gold plated! A lot of it is used to prop up the rest (NHS....) already!

Saying'it's only an extra £100' when wages in real term have dropped 20% since 2010 in 'real terms'. Food Banks and children getting free meals does not equal 'The World's 5th largest economy' to me.

The problem is that City roads are the responsibility of the City concerned. Meanwhil, the lovely Tories have drastically cut cities' funding. Something has to give.

Denis. Half-track? Citroen made one in 40s....Citroen Kegresse. It was driven accross the Sahara! Just right for London streets?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steve2006 said:

After multiple potholes appeared on my estate roads I emailed the local authority giving details of where they were located and included a map. 

I told them they had a duty of care to ensure the roads were maintained in a safe condition and gave them notice that if repairs were not carried out within a reasonable time ( I stated 2 weeks) I would hold them totally liable for any damage to my vehicle as a result of these potholes.

I did the same thing, pointing out that cars were mounting the pavement where schoolchildren walk to avoid the massive pothole.  All repaired within 3 days.

Thankfully this is a car forum and not a political one and we all want what's best for our cars (and kids) 😉

It took me more than 3 months and online submission of complaints and photos to get some serious potholes in my neighbourhood fixed - that's Essex CC for you though!

Back to cars - there is nothing to top the luxury second hand car market compared to LS Lexus as alternatives although the same price (8 series BMW, some Jaguars) when they go wrong it really is a trip to the Bank. 

• Like 1

It is of no surprise to me that the LS is the best luxury sedan ever built, that was the directive of the President of Toyota in 1983 when the Lexus plan  was launched and I do not agree it is the 430, that had too many flaws and was developed on a rushed schedule to replace the 400 before development of the 460 could start.

The mark 4 was the ultimate never to be bettered overall by any Lexus since in  terms of build quality and development it is those qualities that still turns heads to this day twenty years on.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Well said Steve.Now if all motorists did the same...............

• Like 1

Thanks for posting that.  So it has cooled seats in the rear too?  Yesterday I sat in the back on a journey Whitby to Sheffield.  As my wife was driving I had plenty of leg room, with heated seat on and my chair reclined.  The only time as an adult I've fallen asleep in the back of a car.

45 minutes ago, nickd said:

Thanks for posting that.  So it has cooled seats in the rear too?  Yesterday I sat in the back on a journey Whitby to Sheffield.  As my wife was driving I had plenty of leg room, with heated seat on and my chair reclined.  The only time as an adult I've fallen asleep in the back of a car.

Neither of mine had cooled rear seats.