Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

no shims??

finest1

hi all,

I went to lexus woodford yesterday to get the recall done on my airbags.  

they did a vehicle inspection.  they told me brakes were fine but no shims??

when I left I was wondering if that is why my brakes squeal at really low speed? also, when my brakes were changed last year, the mechanic would have put the shims back on. I remember looking at the floor when he finished, there was nothing left over.

should I look to get these shims?

thanks

finest1

What tends to happen is either the inner shim corrodes and falls apart so they get binned or the replacement pads have their own shim so the old ones get binned (TRW pads usually have shims). They are pretty expensive but they do prevent squeal very well. The front shim kit comes with the pad end clip which help prevent noise from the pad rattling up and down the carrier. I cheap fix if your only interested in curing the noise is to use an aftermarket anti squeal pad or 3M double sided high temp tape, these work just as good.

12 hours ago, iwonder said:

What tends to happen is either the inner shim corrodes and falls apart so they get binned or the replacement pads have their own shim so the old ones get binned (TRW pads usually have shims). They are pretty expensive but they do prevent squeal very well. The front shim kit comes with the pad end clip which help prevent noise from the pad rattling up and down the carrier. I cheap fix if your only interested in curing the noise is to use an aftermarket anti squeal pad or 3M double sided high temp tape, these work just as good.

ive seen a lexus shim kit for £34. is that any good.  if I went with the anti squeal pad or tape where do I place these exactly?

17 minutes ago, finest1 said:

ive seen a lexus shim kit for £34. is that any good.  if I went with the anti squeal pad or tape where do I place these exactly?

Front or rear? good price as I remember buying shims for double that.
"To use these anti-squeal shim kits - cut with scissors to shape required and apply these shims to the reverse side (painted side) of the brake pads to prevent brake noise. The fibre must cover all areas contacted by the hydraulic pistons or the caliper supports."
I just cut the pads in the shape of the original shims and the stick to the back of the pads. Only apply 1 pad per brake pad, if you apply more than 1 your brake pedal will hit the floor when you brake with little resistance.

£34 would be very good price as they are normally, more like £80-90, but make sure they are specifically for IS mk2.

The shims do not corrode, they might be dirty or rusted from the brake dust, brembo pads comes with shims as well... and yes if are not fitted brakes sequels like crazy at low speeds. Funny, that Lexus Woodford noted that - I had to point it out to them last time and only then they noted it. I asked them to order shims for me and service manager said he can make discount which woudl have worked out ~£56 with VAT, but never called me back to pick them-up.

On 5/12/2018 at 4:37 PM, Linas.P said:

The shims do not corrode, they might be dirty or rusted from the brake dust

Unfortunately they do corrode if they are coated (black shims usually). Stainless ones do not obviously. 

IMG_20180514_085724.jpg

• Confused 1

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:37 PM, Linas.P said:

£34 would be very good price as they are normally, more like £80-90, but make sure they are specifically for IS mk2.

The shims do not corrode, they might be dirty or rusted from the brake dust, Brembo pads comes with shims as well... and yes if are not fitted brakes sequels like crazy at low speeds. Funny, that Lexus Woodford noted that - I had to point it out to them last time and only then they noted it. I asked them to order shims for me and service manager said he can make discount which woudl have worked out ~£56 with VAT, but never called me back to pick them-up.

yeah about those shims, somehow I don't think this is correct, it doesn't look right...does it?

http://www.yam6carparts.co.uk/genuine-new-lexus-is250350-gs-hybrid-front-brake-pad-shim-kit-04945-30350-322-p.asp

5 hours ago, finest1 said:

yeah about those shims, somehow I don't think this is correct, it doesn't look right...does it?

http://www.yam6carparts.co.uk/genuine-new-lexus-is250350-gs-hybrid-front-brake-pad-shim-kit-04945-30350-322-p.asp

It might be wrong picture, the ones in the picture looks like rear shims, not front.

@iwonder - I referred to Lexus OE shims in my post. OE shims are made from non-ferrous metals.. I am not sure if it is some kind of Aluminum or Stainless steel alloy, anyhow they don't rust. Non-OE shims if made from ferrous metals obviously can and will rust.

12 hours ago, Linas.P said:

It might be wrong picture, the ones in the picture looks like rear shims, not front.

@iwonder - I referred to Lexus OE shims in my post. OE shims are made from non-ferrous metals.. I am not sure if it is some kind of Aluminum or Stainless steel alloy, anyhow they don't rust. Non-OE shims if made from ferrous metals obviously can and will rust.

The photo was just an example and they are lexus OE, all shims I have binned have been due to corrosion and falling apart, they are all genuine shims. Most of the lexus range use the 2 piece shims (Inner is typically coated and rusts, outer is usually the stainless shim)

I don't know what you all about, my shims (outside) were of some sort alloy, inside there was sort of plastic/rubber layer (actually same as can be seen in the bottom example of your picture). They were covered in brake dust and rust, but they have not rusted themselves. Now on my new pads there were shims stuck on the pads themselves and they look like simply painted metal, but that is not OE.