Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

VVT rattle on start

finest1

hi all,

I went to lexus woodford yesterday to get the recall done on my air bag.

they did a vehicle inspection. 

they told me that my VVT rattles on startup.

they said it wasn't nothing to worry about but would charge £180 to investigate.

what is it and is it something I need to be concerned about

thanks in advance

finest1

It is a brief rattling noise when starting the engine, lasts for a few seconds.

There are multiple causes, and on the 3.5l engines it can lead to engine damage if not correctly, however for the IS250 engine it is mainly just an annoyance. Using quality synthetic oil and an engine flush before changing the oil can help minimise the problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

It is a brief rattling noise when starting the engine, lasts for a few seconds.

There are multiple causes, and on the 3.5l engines it can lead to engine damage if not correctly, however for the IS250 engine it is mainly just an annoyance. Using quality synthetic oil and an engine flush before changing the oil can help minimise the problem.

+1 to that

Regular oil changes and engine flushes got rid of it on my last 250 - below is a link that explains it well ...

http://carspecmn.com/toyota-and-lexus-v6-cold-start-engine-rattle-2gr3gr4gr/

ok, lexus changed the oil for me at the time (they gave me an intermediate service for £99!)  not sure if they flushed the engine though. ok, so it should iron itself out. good to know thanks!

5 hours ago, finest1 said:

ok, lexus changed the oil for me at the time (they gave me an intermediate service for £99!)  not sure if they flushed the engine though. ok, so it should iron itself out. good to know thanks!

There are 2 main causes for rattle - either hydraulic lifters sticking or VVT cam gears rattling. That is the same issue I have on my car, but mine is 180k miles so not really surprised.

No - Lexus do not flush the engine.. ever. I do exactly as described by @ColinBarber - change oil twice in 12k miles and do flush once.

hi all,

update: can't hear the rattle when starting up. next oil change I will request engine flush.

as it happens, do any of you do your own oil change? is there any tutorials/videos that show how to do this properly?

thanks

Quite a few 'How to" vid's on Utoob, mostly from 'Merica so watch a couple and you'll get the general idea, highly recommend getting the correct filter housing removal tool if you are gonna be doing it regularly as bodging it with chain wrenches or water pump pliers will damage the ally housing eventually.

paul m.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links