Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Perfect summation of rcf vs m4

I think, with  average drivers, there’d be very little in it in the dry - but the M4 is faster.

In the wet - different story.

As for ‘slapping the Beamer silly” not so sure about that 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Flytvr said:

I think, with  average drivers, there’d be very little in it in the dry - but the M4 is faster.

In the wet - different story.

As for ‘slapping the Beamer silly” not so sure about that 😂

seconded.

It shows with a non german centric/biased view the rcf gets a good shout and the honest view about its abilities comes to the fore. That’s more my point. The m4 only really betters the rcf on longer tracks with straights for it to make the torque count. Most track tests have then bmw roughly half a second a lap quicker and that is in very skilled hands. Also, take them in the road and I think the rcf is the better package. 

• Like 1

Not a BMW fan by any means but isn't that a pre lci M4?  I thought BMW had improved them somewhat since the 1st generation M4's were apparently a bit snappy.  Would be keen to see the current M4 vs the RCF.  I think the gap would be a bit bigger.

Put an M4 Comp Pack vs an RCF Carbon as well and I think M division would win outright.

Basically....  Buy an M4 brand new.  As soon as it's manufacturer warranty runs out....  RCF time 🙂

• Like 1

BMW will always win on track with ceramic brakes!!

Couldnt tell if this M4 had them, but every other test I have seen has generally had them fitted. Always wondered what difference would be between them without the ceramics - not that it’s particularly relevant to normal road driving.

• Like 1

I understand that in normal driving, performance is very similar. They need to get track hot for the steel to fade and them to get better to show a difference. They are made from recycled left overs from making carbon parts. If you buy a used car and then have to fit new discs you will probably end up putting steels on as the cost of a set ranges from 10k to 14k depending on car.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

I guess the point is there is VERY little in it on track, as mentioned above in all reviews I have seen about 0.5 seconds. The rcf is also more effortless in the way it delivers pace. On road the rcf is definitely the better car. The rcf is also the better ownership proposition. Looks are subjective and the bmw is more tunable (although not usable) but for me the choice is clear. 

Just my opinion though. 

So me and and a builder buddy of mine who I like very much decided to have a run down this slab of a road called ‘ The M5 ‘ 

On the way down there wasn’t a lot in it as both easily blasted there way through the throngs of vehicles to reach a limit of 70 mph.

Anyway more importantly As came off into the services a hands free chat was had about who was paying for that builders staple... fish and chips.

Its acknowledged that I’m a tad more fleet of foot than him so I guess I was paying but I had forgotten how these bloody BMW park there cars......

So there you have it the M4 won.....the S... parking that is 😉

32739A47-3894-4C4F-A3F3-617B7637B98B.thumb.jpeg.4ad8b5f6266972679c7546755f36a78f.jpeg

Big Rat

402B5F88-2D4B-493F-8DB8-B9D654A52DD4.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Have to say having had the pleasure of sitting in @Warrington guy David’s car its a beauty and I can certainly see the appeal. 

Life is short so best take the opportunity to enjoy whatever floats your boat 👍🏻

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Comedian said:

I understand that in normal driving, performance is very similar. They need to get track hot for the steel to fade and them to get better to show a difference. They are made from recycled left overs from making carbon parts. If you buy a used car and then have to fit new discs you will probably end up putting steels on as the cost of a set ranges from 10k to 14k depending on car.

Oh ok hadn’t realised that.  I thought that braking was supposed to be better when they were up to temperature as well as having the advantage of being fade free.

• Like 1

Oh ok hadn’t realised that.  I thought that braking was supposed to be better when they were up to temperature as well as having the advantage of being fade free.
That's what they say. But in some reviews I've seen steel disc cars have stopped slightly quicker than Carbon disc cars. Never seen a back to back of identical car illustrating the difference. If if the carbon won you might be left wondering if it was worth the asking price maybe? I suspect the margin would be small. A small lap margin over a 20 lap race adds up to a large margin. Using once to stop for a junction, not so much.

A nice advantage will be the reduced rotating mass hanging off the bottom of the suspension.

I think they are more important in pub bragging rights than on the road.

2 hours ago, Comedian said:

That's what they say. But in some reviews I've seen steel disc cars have stopped slightly quicker than Carbon disc cars. Never seen a back to back of identical car illustrating the difference. If if the carbon won you might be left wondering if it was worth the asking price maybe? I suspect the margin would be small. A small lap margin over a 20 lap race adds up to a large margin. Using once to stop for a junction, not so much.

A nice advantage will be the reduced rotating mass hanging off the bottom of the suspension.

I think they are more important in pub bragging rights than on the road.

I haven’t read any back to back reviews either so you are probably right. 

I had read that they are not as good as steel brakes initially until they warmed up.

18 minutes ago, DAW said:

I haven’t read any back to back reviews either so you are probably right. 

I had read that they are not as good as steel brakes initially until they warmed up.

Watch the brake test. It's not very scientific but best I could find.

Have to agree carbon ceramics are more a pub chat thing with the only tea benefit being weight reduction unless you track the car a lot. Squeal off them is horrid and price to replace them equally horrifying. I think the Aston v12v carbon ceramics are 10kish to replace. 

• Like 1

One friend was quote 10k for a porsche and a friend of a friend was quoted 14k for an Aston (no idea which model).

When you can buy a decent used hot hatch for that I know where my money is going. 

So ok if you're very wealthy and will never replace them why not? It's only money right. But when you're the poorer soul who bought the car just before they wear out.....

I wonder if suspension changes are required if one swaps to steel?

On the Aston it’s more than suspension changes to change to steel. Apparently the car needs to be be reprogrammed some how. There is a thread on PH around it. Not as simple as one would think. Ask, they warp! 

• Like 1