Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

gs450h, Rounded/seized nut on sway bar link, help!

carnut1980

Hi does anyone have a quick fix for a rounded out allen key hole? I literally gave it a couple of turns with the key, and now its no good, i need to change the drop link.

I thought of a hacksaw but theres not a lot of room behind the hub, perhaps a nut splitter or a small circular saw?

The nut turns with the bolt unless i can isolate the two and tap the bolt out. Otherwise theres no place on the link that i can grip to hold it still

Cheers guys/girls

If you are replacing the ARB drop link, use locking pliers to stop it rotating and undo the nut. Helps if you clean the threads with a wire brush and soak the nut in a rust penetrant. Loosen a few turns and tighten back one. This is how I do pretty much all drop links unless is has a flat for a spanner. 

Try getting a suitably sized torx key, one that'll be tight fit, and bang it in with a hammer.

Put plenty of penetrating oil (proper stuff, Plus Gas or similar, not WD40) on it first and leave it soaking overnight in it if you can before you try to undo it.

Good luck!!

Brian.

ok I had a good poke around and actually bothered to use a pry baron the drop link. No play at all. Not even a millimetre. 

There' also no sound when I rock the car from side to side, which has always produced the knocking on other cars when the ARB drop links were bad.

I get the above noise (in the video link) when I rock the wheel from side to side, as if checking for a bad bearing. 

same when I rock the drivers side wheel.

Is this normal? 

Surely going over speed bumps and potholes don't produce rocking from the steering column?

Theres no play or vibration from the steering wheel. But I'm now pretty sure it isn't the drop link at fault.

Any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links