Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

MK4 GS 450h Indicator Stalk Cancellation

Hi all,

I've recently sold my 2008 GS450h and bought a newer 2012 450h as I love the car so much and so far I have not been disappointed. Love it even more than the old one but although its still the same model there have been new things for me to get to grips with. It's a little rough around the edges but I'm hoping to sort out the things to make it as perfect as I can.

My question is simple. When the indicators are on it seems that 50% of the time they dont cancel themselves, it seems that it has to be a fairly severe corner for the indicator to cancel itself otherwise you have to push the indicator stalk the other way to cancel it. Can anyone just confirm if this is normal? or may there be an issue I need to look into?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I find it annoyingly random as to when it decides to self cancel. Also, because there is no audible click or position to feel, I will sometimes go to cancel just at the point where it's decided to cancel itself and then trigger the opposite indicator.

I've set the light-touch setting to 5 flashes instead of 3 and I am now using that in many situations. The light touch operation has the notable advantage of not self-cancelling at all, which is very handy on roundabouts. I'm tempted to crank it up to 7 which would mean I'd very rarely have to bother pushing all the way down on the stalk.

I've set mine to seven which I find preferable on motorways but also useful on roundabouts and changing lanes in towns. Three or five just didn't seem right to me as they'd cancel too soon. I still use the full setting when turning at junctions though and they always cancel afterwards.

• Like 1

1. Start with the car completely off.

2. Use the rotary **** on the wiper control to set how many blinks you want. This **** has four positions:

- 1st (bottom) position = 3 blinks
- 2nd position = 5 blinks
- 3rd position = 7 blinks
- 4th (top) position = no automatic blinks

3. Hold the wiper lever in the all-the-way-up position, and keep holding it there

4. With foot OFF brake pedal, press the start button twice so the gauges light up (keep holding that wiper lever up!)

5. Continue to hold the wiper lever all the way up for a count of 8 or more (if you go too fast you will have to start all over!)

6. Let the wiper lever come down one position and hold it there for a count of 8 (don't let it go back to the middle, just let it come down one position)

7. Hold with wiper lever all the way up again for another count of 8

8. Let with wiper lever come down one position again, and hold it for a count of 8

9. Let go of the wiper lever. The right turn signal should flash once. If it doesn't, turn the car off and start again at step 1.

10. Briefly move the turn signal lever down 1 position and let go of it again.

The left turn signal should flash to confirm your setting, but not in the way you might expect. It will blink 1, 2, 3, or 4 times to match where you set the rotary **** on the wiper control, so:

- 1 flash = set for 3 blinks

- 2 flashes = set for 5 blinks

- 3 flashes = set for 7 blinks

- 4 flashes = no auto blinks

11. Turn power OFF, then turn on again and test.

21 hours ago, Ala Larj said:

2. Use the rotary **** on the wiper control to set how many blinks you want. This **** has four positions:

LOL at the forum censorship of what I presume is a word that rhymes with Bob. I call it a collar. You call it a knob.

I should also point out that you seem to have left out the bit about rolling up your left trouser leg and baring your right nipple, which I normally do between stages 5 and 6. 

Edit: Weird, I appear to be able to freely say knob. What the hell did you actually call it?!

Lol,

Seriously that sounds like a joke.. I may try it but I'm not sure i'll get it right first time.

In an update, Car went into Lexus today for a climate re-gas and I asked them to look at it, they said they 'adjusted it' and so far it seems better. Not sure what was adjusted buth ere's hoping its a fix rather than me just thinking it is.

Thanks for your inputs

3 hours ago, Ten Ninety said:

LOL at the forum censorship of what I presume is a word that rhymes with Bob. I call it a collar. You call it a knob.

I should also point out that you seem to have left out the bit about rolling up your left trouser leg and baring your right nipple, which I normally do between stages 5 and 6. 

Edit: Weird, I appear to be able to freely say knob. What the hell did you actually call it?!

Bizarrely the word was switch!

Which apparently is now allowed!

Am surprised you were allowed nipples!!

Let's see if I can get away with *****?

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 12:04 AM, Ala Larj said:

1. Start with the car completely off.

- 1st (bottom) position = 3 blinks
- 2nd position = 5 blinks
- 3rd position = 7 blinks
- 4th (top) position = no automatic blinks

3. Hold the wiper lever in the all-the-way-up position, and keep holding it there

4. With foot OFF brake pedal, press the start button twice so the gauges light up (keep holding that wiper lever up!)

5. Continue to hold the wiper lever all the way up for a count of 8 or more (if you go too fast you will have to start all over!)

6. Let the wiper lever come down one position and hold it there for a count of 8 (don't let it go back to the middle, just let it come down one position)

7. Hold with wiper lever all the way up again for another count of 8

8. Let with wiper lever come down one position again, and hold it for a count of 8

9. Let go of the wiper lever. The right turn signal should flash once. If it doesn't, turn the car off and start again at step 1.

10. Briefly move the turn signal lever down 1 position and let go of it again.

The left turn signal should flash to confirm your setting, but not in the way you might expect. It will blink 1, 2, 3, or 4 times to match where you set the rotary **** on the wiper control, so:

- 1 flash = set for 3 blinks

- 2 flashes = set for 5 blinks

- 3 flashes = set for 7 blinks

- 4 flashes = no auto blinks

11. Turn power OFF, then turn on again and test.

It`s done! But point 10. was working different and was blinking just three times. I thought, that I had done some mistake at some point and done it again, many times starting from point 1, and always the same, the left turn signal blinked three times only at point 10.  Then I put power off and back on and test the blinkers and they blinked seven times! Just as I was trying to do! Thank You for your fine advices!

Uti

Ok I tried this but I am confused here and wondered if someone could clarify.

You have to do all this with the WIPER lever to do the INDICATORS?

If so,

All the way up on the wiper lever is the 'as needed wipe' thats fine but then down one position is the off or Auto position. Should Auto be disabled to do this? You still have to go through the off position to go down one so when you say down one is that into the off position? or the first continuous wipe speed position?

I've tried a number of times with no success at all.

Any help appreciated, thanks 

My Bad, for some reason didnt register that there is 2 positions up, I only thought there was one. Actually ended up finding this video on the Tubes

And it was much simpler to achieve, 5 blinks first time.

Thanks all

• 5 years later...