Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS430 rear aircon pipe replacement?

Yes this subject again. It's not been a good week what with the front exhaust section going and now a holed aircon pipe back by the fuel tank. My re-gas bloke wants nothing to do with it.

Having done a bit of reading here, and with a Lexus bill of £1K+ in mind, it seems the go-to 'solution' is just to blank off the rear pipework and do without aircon in the back. This also means losing the fridge, which I do use.

I really don't like the idea of this and I've found one thread elsewhere where a guy made up and fitted his own replacement pipework from the rear a/c unit to the middle of the car, all for less than £50.

Has anyone else tried this, or had someone do it for them? I got the impression there's no need to remove the fuel tank or anything daft like that - is that correct? What is it about the job that makes not doing it the preferred option?

Thanks.

Edit: this is the DIY job I referred to: Link

I've just seen another thread on here that says you have to remove the tank to replace the pipes, which would certainly explain not bothering, but I can't see any sign of that being done at the above link.

Try taking the pipe to pirtek or some good pictures of fittings either end and overall length. May then crimp appropriate fitting to some rubber hose.

http://www.pirtek.co.uk/services/trade-counter

If just a hole they could cut the pipe and fit a compression coupler. On my Volvo 940 I used 3/8th and half inch compression couplers to remove a difficult condenser and used these to re-join the pipework.

James:yes:

• Like 1

Don't quote me on this but I'm sure I read about a member doing this job and just re routing the pipe and leaving the old in place where it wasn't accessible.  I never used the drinks cooler in either of mine so I would have been happy to cap the rear off if I had had a problem. I'm sure as suggested you'll be able to find somewhere that will do the work.  A good diagram of the pipework will help, someone here will be able to help with that I'm sure.

If the pipe is in an accessible place then you do have a cheap option.

I bought a pipe splice kit circa £30 from USA import and it allows you to connect 2 pipes or repair a damaged area - it allowed for 3-4 different pipe sizes and connectors.

So, if your pipe has a small damaged section you only need one kit/splicer, else you will need 2 for a bigger section where any new pipe cuts meets with the old pipe.

I'm going to have to dig out the link for the kit and post later