Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

If Im not wrong Colin Barber will know about this! It has been asked before, when starting the gal from cold the engine speed races away up to 1800ish rpm and quickly drops back to the norm as the temp rises, everything is ok, fuel consumption up to 32 (Yes) 0n a run and 25>30 normal use.

This rise in revs on start though must cause wear whilst the oil initially does its best to get round the system.

After all that the question is can anything be done to reduce this rpm at start up? I guess not due to the ECU being auto, but no harm in asking is there?

Ive added one of the magic STP or something cant remember which now and change the oil about every 5K, its only done a genuine 80K, not a lot for a 1995 model. But it would be nice to take precautions as they say.

Comments welcome

DLJ

When I start mine, straight to 1000 rpm, sits there for about 30 seconds then drops to 800, the light goes out and the car can be driven.

When warm, the motor sits at around the 500 - 600 rpm mark & purrs away

Has it always been like this? Older models do tend to have high idle speeds when cold - it allows the engines to warm up quicker and therefore reduces emmisions.

However 1800 does seem a little high. The idle speeds are set by the ECU and there isn't a direct way to adjust them. If the speeds are wrong then there is a problem. Your throttle body may need a clean. If it's not closing fully then air will get past and raise the idle.

I knew that Colin would have some info, I tried to get the stepper motor off to clean but risked damaging the screws, I presume that you suggest removing the whole unit and giving it a strip clean, any advise on the stripping process of the throttle bits?

DLJ

I would clean the butterfly (including the edge) and the body and see it that makes any difference before you start removing it.

You should be able to give it a good clean without having to remove it. Use carb/throttle body cleaner and kitchen roll.

Throttle body butterfly

I started mine this morning from cold and had a good look it idles at 1800rpm just like yours when it is very cold .do's not rev so high if started from cold later in the day sits at about 1400rpm as said in previous post .I think this is normal and would leave it as it is ,the only suggestion is to put it in drive after you have started the car this will drop the revs to around 900 rpm and will avoid unessasary engine wear :)

My car used to do exactly the same thing. It would instantly hit about 1800 RPM and you could hear the big end bearings rumble for a second or two because the oil couldn't get around as quick as the revs rose. The biggest concern for me was the lack of lubrication at crucial cold start. When it was warm it was fine.