Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Amazed with the 300H

So I finally got around to test driving the IS 300H F Sport earlier this week after putting it off for a few months. While i'm in no immediate hurry to purchase a new car due to financial situation I have however got my heart set on the 300H F Sport when the time does come. I previously narrowed my car search down to either a Mercedes CLA, A3 saloon or another 3 series and of course the IS 300H F Sport and after test driving the IS it was an easy decision for me. The drive is so smooth and although almost all of the previous reviews I read said that the quietness of the engine is a bad thing i however consider it an absolute delight... (Then again i do currently drive an IS 220D lol). The interior kinda reminds me of the fun cockpit feel that i had in my Civic Type R and as i am extremely easily pleased and amused i think my favourite part was getting into the IS, turning the engine on and then having the steering wheel and seat engage into position. 

Having never driven an automatic before i was a little apprehensive as to what to expect and again after reading the reviews (which i will now never do again because there all bull**** lol) I was pleasantly surprised with how responsive everything felt. I was even impressed with the acceleration and that was without even putting it into sports mode. I did obviously try Sports mode as well which is a hell of a lot of fun. I even enjoyed the artificial engine sound but i do expect that that novelty would wear off pretty quickly. I really wished i could of just kicked the Lexus sales rep out of the car and driven it home. Even my daughter was disappointed and looked at me in disgust when she had to get out and do a walk of shame back to my dingy pollen covered IS 220D haha. Really can't wait to clear abit of this stupid debt i have so then i can get into Debt again to purchase the 300H. Well worth it though.

I'm not going to be in any position to be getting a brand new one so will be looking to get an 13/14 year F Sport maybe towards the end of the year... I'm guessing that given Lexus' track record for reliability it would be perfectly possible to get one still in great condition? I've seen a couple that are up on Autotrader for around the 13/14K price range so i'm hoping i'll be able to grab a bargain closer the time.

With an older IS 300H around the 13/14 year range is there anything specific that i should be cautious of? Like any known issues to take into consideration?

• Like 1

Not really surprising - I always thought that IS300h was direct replacement of IS200/220d and did it quite well. Sort of replacing diesel economy with hybrid economy... however sadly there are no clear IS250 replacement in current IS range.

I don't think there are any specific known weaknesses in IS300h, except being slow 😒

40 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

I don't think there are any specific known weaknesses in IS300h, except being slow 😒

Thats ok then. In regards to it being slow though i found personally that it was still really fun to drive. I wouldn't really consider myself a speed demon anymore compared to my younger days since having a family... although my daughters are always screaming at me from the back to go faster. I found that the sports mode gave more than enough juice to pull out at junctions/roundabouts and for overtaking. Theres only maybe 2-3 duel carriage ways that i frequently use anyway to actually be able to have a little fun with it so kinda suits me perfectly to be honest

1 hour ago, AJChinn said:

Thats ok then. In regards to it being slow though i found personally that it was still really fun to drive. I wouldn't really consider myself a speed demon anymore compared to my younger days since having a family... although my daughters are always screaming at me from the back to go faster. I found that the sports mode gave more than enough juice to pull out at junctions/roundabouts and for overtaking. Theres only maybe 2-3 duel carriage ways that i frequently use anyway to actually be able to have a little fun with it so kinda suits me perfectly to be honest

The "slow" comment is very relative - on paper the IS 300h doesn't look all that quick on the standard 0-60mph (62mph) but rest assured that this is misleading in the real world. Put the car into Sports mode and pedal to the metal and the manner in which the power flows through the drivetrain makes it deceptively quick - there are no gear changes to be made and no let up in the "push". In particular the performance from around 40mph to ...ahem... very fast is more than enough for the real world, and all undertaken with a certain calm which means keeping a close eye open for when you reach the legal speed limits. I have driven numerous "faster" cars (on paper) and you do get a different perception of speed in those cars - even with an auto-box - as the shifts are noticeable sort of creating the milestones in the mind of speed and very often undertaken in a much noisier manner, again adding to the sense of speed. My last "fast" car was a BMW 330i (2006) with an auto-box and which was no slouch - I wasn't sure how the IS 300h would compare being slower on paper but I have to say the difference has not been any issue to me - the IS 300h just delivers in a different way that takes a few thousand miles to get used to and appreciate.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

The "slow" comment is very relative - on paper the IS 300h doesn't look all that quick on the standard 0-60mph (62mph) but rest assured that this is misleading in the real world. 

I completely agree with "relative" and that is probably why I found the rest to be exactly opposite. That is as well the reason I mentioned IS250 and IS200/220d, so from IS220d perspective IS300h is huge step-up, in performance and refinement. If one was happy with IS220d, then IS300h will be improvement over that... However, whenever I get in one I cannot wait to get back into IS250 or something faster.

Have to agree on the 'punchiness' of the IS.  It was quite surprising to find how quickly the car accelerates (in Sport) out of Mway service areas to the legal speed limit.  

On 5/16/2018 at 2:43 PM, Linas.P said:

I completely agree with "relative" and that is probably why I found the rest to be exactly opposite. That is as well the reason I mentioned IS250 and IS200/220d, so from IS220d perspective IS300h is huge step-up, in performance and refinement. If one was happy with IS220d, then IS300h will be improvement over that... However, whenever I get in one I cannot wait to get back into IS250 or something faster.

I have owned and driven an IS250 and IS300h back to back, both MY2014.  The 300h is just as quick and the power delivery is vastly superior. The 0-60 times are identical. Obviously, mpg is vastly superior in the 300h, even when in sport mode, where there is no discernible difference in performance to the 250. Top speed is much reduced in the 300h, however, 100mph is a driving ban in the UK, further it is simply irresponsible to drive that fast.  Add in the reduced fuel costs, it is no surprise to me Lexus have dropped the 250 and its replacement, the 200T,  due to poor sales. The 300h makes them pretty redundant in the real world.

• Like 1

It doesn't make them redundant and you are wrong to claim that 0-60 times are identical, just factually wrong. Power delivery is vastly inferiour on IS300h from where I stand.. if you cannot notice that then it is different question altogether (about senses). From stand still IS300h power delivery is awful and inconsistent, if you try to push it to the limits you will get initial jump from electric motor torque up-to ~ 10-15MPH (which isn't nice), then power dip and another kick from ~25MPH when ICE comes to power. Feels like broken and sounds even worse in my opinion, the power transfer between EV and ICE is not smooth at all. IS250 hesitates a little bit at first, lack of torque from NA engine, but then accelerates very linearly and consistently, the engine noise as well increases consistently and sounds great from ~3000-4000 RPM.

Now obviously if you accelerate like pensioner none of that is going to be problem for your. Basically if you take 20s to accelerate to 0-60 with IS250, then obviously you not going to feel any difference taking same 20s accelerating in IS300h. However, if you try accelerate in claimed 8.0s and 8.6s respectively for IS250 and IS300h... the IS250 is the car which makes it much more enjoyable. 

If we compare them from "rolling start", then I can start to see where you are coming from. IS300h doesn't have gears so doesn't need to "kick-down" and say accelerating from 40-60 will be smoother in IS300h and would probably take the same time. However, I do prefer "kick down" and "rev-up" on IS250 vs. IS300h - fair enough it is not as fuel efficient, but much more enjoyable and alive.

Going to max speed point - yes UK national speed limit is outdated and obsolete, there is no much point having car which is much faster then 90MPH if you never leave UK, however I do drive in EU and I often do well in excess of 120MPH. Finally, even doing standard UK motorway speeds IS300h starts loosing it's efficiency edge.. that is not negative point as IS300h is obviously designed to be driven mostly in city. MPG of IS300h and IS250 becomes pretty much the same around 65MPH and crosses at ~75MPH from where IS250 actually becomes more fuel efficient. 

Now ... what is my point.. IS300h is great city car, especially saving fuel in traffic and on speeds of up-to 50-60MPH, great replacement for IS200/220d as a city car, quite good if you take it "very easily". However, it doesn't make IS250 obsolete, it is less enjoyable to drive, especially if you drive harder or at higher speeds, it either makes no sound or dreadful sound, in IS250 on the other hand the harder you drive, the better it feels, the more you push the car them more it will give. So in summary - everyone tho their own, but IS300h is not an upgrade for IS250.. it is just completely different car for completely different type of person. 

2 hours ago, Linas.P said:

It doesn't make them redundant and you are wrong to claim that 0-60 times are identical, just factually wrong. Power delivery is vastly inferiour on IS300h from where I stand.. if you cannot notice that then it is different question altogether (about senses). From stand still IS300h power delivery is awful and inconsistent, if you try to push it to the limits you will get initial jump from electric motor torque up-to ~ 10-15MPH (which isn't nice), then power dip and another kick from ~25MPH when ICE comes to power. Feels like broken and sounds even worse in my opinion, the power transfer between EV and ICE is not smooth at all. IS250 hesitates a little bit at first, lack of torque from NA engine, but then accelerates very linearly and consistently, the engine noise as well increases consistently and sounds great from ~3000-4000 RPM.

Now obviously if you accelerate like pensioner none of that is going to be problem for your. Basically if you take 20s to accelerate to 0-60 with IS250, then obviously you not going to feel any difference taking same 20s accelerating in IS300h. However, if you try accelerate in claimed 8.0s and 8.6s respectively for IS250 and IS300h... the IS250 is the car which makes it much more enjoyable. 

If we compare them from "rolling start", then I can start to see where you are coming from. IS300h doesn't have gears so doesn't need to "kick-down" and say accelerating from 40-60 will be smoother in IS300h and would probably take the same time. However, I do prefer "kick down" and "rev-up" on IS250 vs. IS300h - fair enough it is not as fuel efficient, but much more enjoyable and alive.

Going to max speed point - yes UK national speed limit is outdated and obsolete, there is no much point having car which is much faster then 90MPH if you never leave UK, however I do drive in EU and I often do well in excess of 120MPH. Finally, even doing standard UK motorway speeds IS300h starts loosing it's efficiency edge.. that is not negative point as IS300h is obviously designed to be driven mostly in city. MPG of IS300h and IS250 becomes pretty much the same around 65MPH and crosses at ~75MPH from where IS250 actually becomes more fuel efficient. 

Now ... what is my point.. IS300h is great city car, especially saving fuel in traffic and on speeds of up-to 50-60MPH, great replacement for IS200/220d as a city car, quite good if you take it "very easily". However, it doesn't make IS250 obsolete, it is less enjoyable to drive, especially if you drive harder or at higher speeds, it either makes no sound or dreadful sound, in IS250 on the other hand the harder you drive, the better it feels, the more you push the car them more it will give. So in summary - everyone tho their own, but IS300h is not an upgrade for IS250.. it is just completely different car for completely different type of person. 

Ist paragraph. I do not recognise any of that whatsoever.  My 300h has great power delivery and no inconsistency.

2nd paragraph . Condescending arrogant tosh. I have owned well in excess of 50 cars, from a 380bhp 4x4 cosworth to a brand new Peugeot 406, 1.6 (company supplied) !   I have also driven in europe, many time, America too. Never felt the need to travel in excess of 100, except in the cossie (uk) when I was younger and more foolish. Maybe this describes you? Your post has me in mind of a 'hard driver' I encountered on the A3 recently. Cutting in and out, tailgating people who dare to travel at the 50 mph limit and generally being a dangerous jerk. 6 miles later he's 50 metres ahead of me, stuck in traffic. 20 minutes later I choose another route to the same end and there he is stuck at the queue at lights as I cruise past. All that 'hard driving' to end behind me by some margin. Pointless. If you want excess speed and thrills, try a track. Unfortunately I've seen first hand the results of inappropriate speed, most of the time other people pay the price.

Owned both 250 (2nd and 3rd generation)  and 300h , from no stand point is the 15 years old engine of the 250 comparable to 300h in power delivery or refinement.  Done a motorway journey in 300H at steady 70-80 pretty much all the journey, 52 mpg, what loss of efficiency?. Sound is not an issue for me, I have read the journalists reports of the cvt drone and its not something I experience at all.

The 300H has out sold the 250 and 200T many times over, hence the decision by Lexus to drop both from the UK, so the 300H has in effect made them redundant. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Jules PF said:

Ist paragraph. I do not recognise any of that whatsoever.  My 300h has great power delivery and no inconsistency.

2nd paragraph . Condescending arrogant tosh. I have owned well in excess of 50 cars, from a 380bhp 4x4 cosworth to a brand new Peugeot 406, 1.6 (company supplied) !   I have also driven in europe, many time, America too. Never felt the need to travel in excess of 100, except in the cossie (uk) when I was younger and more foolish. Maybe this describes you? Your post has me in mind of a 'hard driver' I encountered on the A3 recently. Cutting in and out, tailgating people who dare to travel at the 50 mph limit and generally being a dangerous jerk. 6 miles later he's 50 metres ahead of me, stuck in traffic. 20 minutes later I choose another route to the same end and there he is stuck at the queue at lights as I cruise past. All that 'hard driving' to end behind me by some margin. Pointless. If you want excess speed and thrills, try a track. Unfortunately I've seen first hand the results of inappropriate speed, most of the time other people pay the price.

Owned both 250 (2nd and 3rd generation)  and 300h , from no stand point is the 15 years old engine of the 250 comparable to 300h in power delivery or refinement.  Done a motorway journey in 300H at steady 70-80 pretty much all the journey, 52 mpg, what loss of efficiency?. Sound is not an issue for me, I have read the journalists reports of the cvt drone and its not something I experience at all.

The 300H has out sold the 250 and 200T many times over, hence the decision by Lexus to drop both from the UK, so the 300H has in effect made them redundant. 

So totally agree with all of the above and mirrors my experience. I have had a number of fast and expensive cars in my time (the cream of the crop according to the motoring journalists) and also many hire cars in the UK, Europe and the USA. In addition to many hundreds of thousands of miles driven in the UK I have also driven many times across much of Europe - a lot of that on the German Autobahns where I have in the past used performance to the full - however in more recent years I have found even on the Autobahns that the majority of the local population now drive a "sensible" speed (usually around 90-100mph) - which may be due to a change in their law where if you drive over the recommended speed limit (in unrestricted parts 130km/h) you could be held accountable for a crash, even if it was not your fault - which could lead to serious problems with the law and with insurance companies - so 125mph for the IS 300h (where it's not in the least strained, as it's just electronically limited, is plenty).

I do think that it takes some time to "get" the IS 300h - this is where the car suffers at the hand of journalists and those who just get one as a courtesy car for a day when theirs is in for a service for example. When I was looking for my next car I went back and forth over the IS and in the end managed to get one for a full day test drive. I tried to mimic my usual driving and conditions the best I could in that time and by the end felt good about buying the car. However, I have to say it took me a few months to then really "get" the experience. In real world day-to-day driving (i.e. a mix of roads, some where progress can be made but others with traffic jams and interminable road works...!) it delivers everything I want. And it's certainly not just a "city car" (though excellent at that) - long motorway drives (of which I do a lot too) are very enjoyable, almost serene, and I arrive at the other end as refreshed and calm as any other car I have been in - and no later than any other car I could have been driving regardless of on-paper performance figures - and with petrol consumption generally between 48-52mpg to boot. It is the balance of doing so much so well in such an unflustered way that puts the IS 300h up there as probably my best overall car.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Jules PF said:

Condescending arrogant tosh.

You are just different driver or something you have above and I don't think you even know what "refinement" means. You know that outside lanes are for "overtaking" so it doesn't matter what speed you are doing, if you not overtaking you have to move over - I don't understand why British drivers don't get it.

What cars you had makes no difference, what makes the difference is what kind of driver you are and what are your needs, if IS300h is enough for you - fine. But don't claim IS300h is enough for everyone. For me it is slow, for me IS250 is too slow as well, if I would want something more from the car it would be quicker gear changes and few less seconds 0-60.. still better then IS300h.

8 hours ago, wharfhouse said:

1. change in their law where if you drive over the recommended speed limit (in unrestricted parts 130km/h) you could be held accountable for a crash
2. I do think that it takes some time to "get" the IS 300h / it took me a few months to then really "get" the experience.

1. That is incorrect, you never going to be accountable for crash if it is not your fault. However, if they believe that excessive speed caused the accident which is your fault, the insurance company have a right not to pay you out, they will obviously pay out the other side. There are no criminal accountability for that (unless obviously under some influence), but you will get nothing for your own car.

2. Yes you need to drive IS300h very carefully and slowly like pensioner. I did got used to it and I had RC300h for 24h as well, same story for CT200h. Experience is that you get relaxed and sort of dull.. In other car you would think... "oh let me overtake this guy", in IS300h is more like ... "a nahhh never mind.. I just slow down to his speed". IS300h simply punishes you for driving faster, so after a while the brains starts working to maximise efficient of hybrid drive instead of enjoying the engine and the car.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

You are just different driver or something you have above. You know that outside lanes are for "overtaking" so it doesn't matter what speed you are doing, if you not overtaking you have to move over - I don't understand why British drivers don't get it.

What cars you had makes no difference, what makes the difference is what kind of driver you are and what are your needs, if IS300h is enough for you - fine. But don't claim IS300h is enough for everyone. For me it is slow, for me IS250 is too slow as well, if I would want something more from the car it would be quicker gear changes and few less seconds 0-60.. still better then IS300h.

More condescending tosh. I do in excess of 50k miles a year. I am fully aware of the use of the correct lanes. Driving since 1984, max NCB,  zero fault accident since 1986. Do I drive like a pensioner, no. Do I drive considerately and for the road conditions, yes. Does this ever mean 100+ mph, not on your or anyone else's life, NO.

If the motorway or A road is congested with no space to change lanes, and one is the outer lane, you cannot travel faster than the person in front.of you,  you do know that right?! So no amount of tailgating, flashing lights, indicating etc is necessary. You or drivers like you are not the Police, we do not have to change lanes for YOU on a congested road. Which part of that do you not understand? 

Where did I claim 300h was enough for everyone? Yep nowhere. The fact is people have voted with their respective wallets, and were not buying a 13 year old engined car (nor its replacement the 200T) and preferred the 300h. 

0.6 seconds faster to 60mph wow, big deal!  Certainly insufficient reason not to buy the 300h, as sales testify. 

Try a race track for your thrills and 'hard driving' not the road. 

• Like 3

I do think the IS300h is under powered.  It doesn't to me feel like a 220bhp car, although I have no issue with power delivery and dont feel any change or bump from the electric to ICE.    The Main issue for me is throttle response.  if you plan a sudden change then using the fake gears to pre rev the engine helps, but quickly pulling out on say a roundabout by punching the pedal seems to take an age.  Although not as bad as an Audi A5 CVT... 

I have worked in Germany for many years, and have had warnings from many a German about the responsibilities when travelling too fast on the autobahn.  I believe it to be true, as from multiple sources in various parts of Germany.

39 minutes ago, darrude said:

I do think the IS300h is under powered.  It doesn't to me feel like a 220bhp car, although I have no issue with power delivery and dont feel any change or bump from the electric to ICE.    The Main issue for me is throttle response.  if you plan a sudden change then using the fake gears to pre rev the engine helps, but quickly pulling out on say a roundabout by punching the pedal seems to take an age.  Although not as bad as an Audi A5 CVT... 

I have worked in Germany for many years, and have had warnings from many a German about the responsibilities when travelling too fast on the autobahn.  I believe it to be true, as from multiple sources in various parts of Germany.

I see your point, but learned quickly the 'gears' are pretty useless, as cvt don't have any! The 300h can in theory drive as fast in reverse than forward! I've learned to be a little more predictive and use the sport mode, seems to have sufficient power to get you in or out of trouble.

1 hour ago, Jules PF said:

Where did I claim 300h was enough for everyone? Yep nowhere. The fact is people have voted with their respective wallets, and were not buying a 13 year old engined car (nor its replacement the 200T) and preferred the 300h. 

Comparing the IS300h to the  IS200t (its a small t) is slightly superfluous as the 200t sells extremely well in other world markets mainly the US,  Asia and Australia (where it outsells the IS300h and there are less restrictions in relation to emissions and company car drivers). 

In my opinion the IS200t looks better, is obviously comfortably quicker to the shops 😉 and its not a hybrid. (Not everyone wants a hybrid)

It would be interesting to see how many new IS300h sales were company cars. I'd wager a large percentage judging by the chat on here back in the day when they were first produced. I'd also wager that the age demographic in private sales is higher than most, hence increased economy, reliability, lower VED is far more important than a 0-60 time for many (not all I must add)

6 hours ago, Linas.P said:

You are just different driver or something you have above and I don't think you even know what "refinement" means. You know that outside lanes are for "overtaking" so it doesn't matter what speed you are doing, if you not overtaking you have to move over - I don't understand why British drivers don't get it.

1. That is incorrect, you never going to be accountable for crash if it is not your fault. However, if they believe that excessive speed caused the accident which is your fault, the insurance company have a right not to pay you out, they will obviously pay out the other side. There are no criminal accountability for that (unless obviously under some influence), but you will get nothing for your own car.

2. Yes you need to drive IS300h very carefully and slowly like pensioner. I did got used to it and I had RC300h for 24h as well, same story for CT200h. Experience is that you get relaxed and sort of dull.. In other car you would think... "oh let me overtake this guy", in IS300h is more like ... "a nahhh never mind.. I just slow down to his speed". IS300h simply punishes you for driving faster, so after a while the brains starts working to maximise efficient of hybrid drive instead of enjoying the engine and the car.

Linas - you seem like an angry person - really don't know why - I was trying to be constructive. The comment about the Autobahns came from some of my colleagues on the continent - appreciate some of it may have been skewed a little in translation but the crux is that if a driver is involved in an accident on the Autobahn when exceeding the advisory speed limit, the burden of proof that their high speed did not cause damage is with the driver exceeding the recommended speed limit. It may not be a criminal offence but money, or at least insurance money, talks. However that is taken on board it has had the effect of lowering (or capping) the speed of many drivers on the Autobahn. I do agree though that the German drivers have much better lane discipline than in the UK and that is one of the reasons I enjoy driving in Germany.

Your comment about needing to drive an IS 300h carefully and slowly like a pensioner is just insulting! Any car regardless of power in the wrong hands can be driven at an inappropriate speed, in an inappropriate way, and becomes a lethal weapon. I have NEVER had a problem with my brain just telling me to slow down or not overtake because the car is "slow" - do I overtake in the same way as in other cars I have had - YES! and use the appropriate control modes to do so - safely. Do I take stupid risks - NO - but I never have and I try and respect all the other drivers on the road, despite some of them being complete idiots! Do I enjoy driving the car - YES! and in fact more than most other cars I have owned. As I said, to appreciate the IS 300h and what it delivers I do think it takes a few months of ownership and not just a few hours or even a day - but after that first few months it certainly didn't change the way I drive or how I perceive and react to situations, just allowed me to appreciate the depth of the car and its technology more.

I certainly don't think the car is for everyone but no one is twisting anyone's arm to buy one either - there are many, many cars all offering different experiences and waiting for someone open their wallet and buy them. It sounds like you want the reliability and quality of a Lexus but something that goes from 0-60 in sub 5 seconds - well there are plenty of alternatives out there for you to try - including the Lexus LC of course - assuming you have the money to scratch the itch - I've been lucky enough to scratch a few of my own itches in my life. No manufacturer will ever make the perfect car for an individual - that's why some people have more than one of course - but in general a very high proportion of owners on this particular IS Mk III forum seem happy with their choice, the reasons for which I am sure are many and varied (300h and the 250 or 200t). The few who have actually owned an IS 300h for a reasonable period of time and found it doesn't suit them, then I take on board their critical comments that come from that experience and wish them all the best with their new purchases - one day that might also be me should my needs and circumstances change, as they do through life.

I have seen your similar comments slating the performance and power delivery of the IS 300h in a number of previous posts - you seem to be a pretty lonely voice - but everyone to their views and if that is your view then fine - we will agree to disagree. I am happy in my choice of car, I assume you are still looking for yours. That's my final word on the matter, though I am sure you will want to have the last word?

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

The comment about the Autobahns came from some of my colleagues on the continent - appreciate some of it may have been skewed a little in translation but the crux is that if a driver is involved in an accident on the Autobahn when exceeding the advisory speed limit, the burden of proof that their high speed did not cause damage is with the driver exceeding the recommended speed limit. It may not be a criminal offence but money, or at least insurance money, talks. However that is taken on board it has had the effect of lowering (or capping) the speed of many drivers on the Autobahn. I do agree though that the German drivers have much better lane discipline than in the UK and that is one of the reasons I enjoy driving in Germany.

When i was in the Army i was based in Germany for 4 years and i can confirm that what you said is actually correct. The German police will actually still pull you over if they deem your driving to be irresponsible... granted there definition of responsible a much more lenient than ours lol but even still they are by no means ignorant to the dangers of driving at excessive speeds. I used to own an Astra VXR back in my younger more immature days whilst based in germany which was 240bhp and reached 152mph so its safe to say i have had my fair share of speedy experiences.

As stated in my initial post though those days are long behind me since having a family which is exactly why i'm so invested into getting the IS 300H. Looks stunning, extremely practical for the driving that i will actually be doing most of the time and because of the sport mode it still offers that nice little kick should i get abit nostalgic and want to put my foot down a little bit. I am in no way looking for a car to get me to the school to pick my daughter up in record time which is why i have pretty much ignored most of the comments/reviews regarding the acceleration as i feel it doesn't really apply to the way i drive. I do however extremely appreciate all of the other comments detailing there own personal experiences with the IS 300. I think subconsciously i had already made up my mind but after reading some of your replies any reservations i did have have now been put to bed. So again thank you for the feed back. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AJChinn said:

When i was in the Army i was based in Germany for 4 years and i can confirm that what you said is actually correct. The German police will actually still pull you over if they deem your driving to be irresponsible... granted there definition of responsible a much more lenient than ours lol but even still they are by no means ignorant to the dangers of driving at excessive speeds. I used to own an Astra VXR back in my younger more immature days whilst based in germany which was 240bhp and reached 152mph so its safe to say i have had my fair share of speedy experiences.

As stated in my initial post though those days are long behind me since having a family which is exactly why i'm so invested into getting the IS 300H. Looks stunning, extremely practical for the driving that i will actually be doing most of the time and because of the sport mode it still offers that nice little kick should i get abit nostalgic and want to put my foot down a little bit. I am in no way looking for a car to get me to the school to pick my daughter up in record time which is why i have pretty much ignored most of the comments/reviews regarding the acceleration as i feel it doesn't really apply to the way i drive. I do however extremely appreciate all of the other comments detailing there own personal experiences with the IS 300. I think subconsciously i had already made up my mind but after reading some of your replies any reservations i did have have now been put to bed. So again thank you for the feed back. 

Hope you are able to get the car you want soon - I'm sure you will enjoy it and won't be disappointed.

I want to retract my earlier 'appalling' statement regarding throttle response think that was a bit harsh.  it's not great, i'd say on par with a normal slush box auto.  

15 hours ago, doog442 said:

It would be interesting to see how many new IS300h sales were company cars.

0 - because since April 2017 they no longer eligible.

@wharfhouse - not sure where you got impression that I am angry. I have simply corrected you that you won't lose your insurance cover in accident if it is not your fault, even at 200MPH. However, it is true that your cover becomes conditional when traveling well in excess of recommended speed, that is if say your tyre blows or if you lose control yourself and there are reasonable grounds to suspect you were traveling well in excess of recommended speed - insurance can decline to cover damages, burden of proof is however on them to prove it. It doesn't even have anything to do with autobahn, it applies to any road and recommended speeds can be anything. Obviously, autobahns are affected most because allowed speed is unlimited and recommended speeds is usually 130km/h.

As for "driving like pensioned" - you can get offended if you like ("snowflake"), though I reckon the pensioners are the ones who should get offended the most, because not all are slow drivers. I am sure that you know very well what I mean. There is nothing wrong with driving "carefully and slowly", but I want to be the one who decides when and how I drive. I can drive carefully in IS250 and save 30% of fuel, but if I want driver harder I can do that as well. Secondly, I described my behaviour in IS300h... and it is not necessary bad thing,  it certainly makes me more efficient driver and after driving IS300h I certainly feel more relaxed, but at the same time I like it less and it is less engaging.

As for the car, I don't want to get LC or RC-F,  because they are performance cars and have undesired maintenance and running costs. It was discussed times and times again, there is gap in Lexus UK line, no middle ground. The choice goes, either "slow" 300h or "performance F". That is because 350 is missing. What I want is that either Lexus plug that gap with RC350 or make RC300h performance acceptable. I mean look at BMW 330e - 0-60 in 6.1s, that is plenty fast for me, yet without any undesired performance car practicality issue. The obvious answer to buy BMW and I might do, but at the moment I don't want BMW.

@Jules PF I have never said you have to move out of my way if there is a queue, but in my experience it is very different, even when traffic is low I can see everyone scattered across all the lanes - simply lane discipline is very poor in UK.

As for 100MPH, modern cars are designed to do such speeds and there is nothing unsafe about. If I am not in rush I usually set my cruise control to 180km/h (~111MPH) in Germany. I am not saying everyone needs to be driving at 200MPH all the time, but 70MPH flat limit nationwide is outdated and obsolete, 90MPH would reflect the times better. 

9 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

However, it is true that your cover becomes conditional when traveling well in excess of recommended speed, that is if say your tyre blows or if you lose control yourself and there are reasonable grounds to suspect you were traveling well in excess of recommended speed - insurance can decline to cover damages, burden of proof is however on them to prove it. 

simply lane discipline is very poor in UK.

but 70MPH flat limit nationwide is outdated and obsolete, 90MPH would reflect the times better. 

Can't remember seeing this term in insurance, but modern cars record gear position and revs in the ECU so you're bang to rights if the police are involved.

Lane discipline - agree - it's shocking - I usually avoid motorways for 2 reasons, angry lane hoggers and "smart revenue tax systems"

Agree with speed limits. It should just be the speed limit of the tyres. 😋

@Linas quote 'but I want to be the one who decides when and how I drive. '

That is the problem. The road conditions should dictate this, not your personal whims.

But you are right lane discipline in the UK is poor. Worse than other countries? Maybe, Germany and strangely Greece in my experience,  being the best.

16 minutes ago, Jules PF said:

That is the problem. The road conditions should dictate this, not your personal whims.

Ok... let me clarify - I want to be the one who decides how I drive, when road conditions permits.

IS250 allows me to do that (could be quicker), IS300h doesn't. I am not even talking about speeding, usually my driving involves speeds between 30-50MPH except of motorways, still I enjoy IS250 much more on situation involving stand still acceleration and I do quite few of such accelerations in London.

@Comedian - no, this is specifically German thing (maybe other countries as well), that insurance can decline your claim if they can prove you were driving in excess of speed which was deemed to be reasonable. That could even be 80km/h on icy road or simply 300km/h on autobahn where generally accepted safe speed is 130km/h. But it doesn't mean you going to lose insurance if somebody crashes into you doing 180km/h. Still first questions always going to be - whose fault it was. It becomes more relevant when you simply lose control and no other party is involved. 

I really don't want to get into a ****** contest here, but Linas, the road conditions include traffic! Even on the autobahn doing xxx speed, if other people are driving slower, wrong lane etc, that is the road condition. Not just the infrastructure or weather,  and you drive accordingly to those conditions. Green traffic light also doesn't mean go!

I am not sure what is your problem, yes traffic is road condition and is result of criminal negligence of road infrastructure by the government. It is not normal, as is potholes, or other deficiencies of infrastructure, but yes it is the conditions we have and have to deal with them - nobody suggest to do 50MPH in standstill traffic here.

What I am saying is that on empty road, in perfect weather, on perfect road, with full tank, with mechanically sound car and in good mood.... I do not enjoy driving IS300h as much I would enjoy IS250 in exactly same conditions. On my daily commute without breaking any existing law or rule, but driving harder, I enjoy IS250 more then I would enjoy IS300h.