Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

TESLA MODEL 3

Anything other than your opinion is ' is totalitarian mind state'?

Luckily I don't live near London so don't think that London life reflects how the rest of the world is.

Logic possibly shows that each of us having our own cars might be regarded as ....crazy, in absolute terms?

It's not efficient (jams/cost/parking/ misuse of material.....)and non too ecological..

And many places DO run on communal.....washing machines, for example. -in the USA even!

A lot of the world outside of the M25 runs on slightly less consumptive concepts?

But we have really hi-jacked this string far too much already?

(Fresh from borrowing my neighbours.......because I'm lucky to live in a friendly cul-de-sac!)

3 hours ago, Linas.P said:

So no... public transport is not a solution, unless you want everyone to be mindless tools only ever travelling to their purposeless work and back, without any free time or any needs to travel anywhere outside of their designated daily route.

Sorry for the rant, you can read from here down:

As for investment into public transport - there is no need for extra investment,  they have enough and even too much investment, the problems is that system is corrupt, money is laundered, wasted and spent inefficiently. 

Public transport is not a solution ? 🤣

You're wrong mate, it is the solution.Just like safe cycling is part of the solution.I don't think I've ever met someone so removed from public opinion and common sense so have a prize. 

I'll give you an extra brownie point as this is a motoring forum .

13 hours ago, doog442 said:

Public transport is not a solution ? 🤣

You're wrong mate, it is the solution.Just like safe cycling is part of the solution.I don't think I've ever met someone so removed from public opinion and common sense so have a prize. 

I'll give you an extra brownie point as this is a motoring forum .

I guess we both over-simplifying and over-generalising. All types of transportation should co-exist, but they should not co-exist at the price of other type. As for now cycling and public transport clearly exists at the cost of motorists and that is simply wrong. I disagree that public transport needs more subsidies, because it is already subsidised too much, problem is in ineffective spending and corruption, not the amount of money is spent.

Just to clarify my above post, public transport needs to exist, I have never said it needs to be abolished somehow. However, when I say it is "not a solution" - I mean it is not a solution for all the problems and all of the people and will never be.

I can say that large issue is the very large static cost of car ownership i.e. when you make a choice to own the car, you pretty much have to stick with it. Road tax and insurance doesn't change regardless how much you drive, as such when you got the car it is cheapest to drive it, the more you drive the less it costs per mile on average. We can make changed to that by introducing "pay as you go" insurance and road tax, or say allowing all road tax payers to use public transport for free, only then combining driving with public transport going to start making sense.

Finally, I believe public transport needs to be nationalised and must become significantly cheaper ( say 10 times cheaper), before spending any public money on it. Because current privately owned way simply doesn't work and even worse you cannot even subsidise it without effectively paying bonuses for shareholders. 

As for electric car charging, the car ownership needs to be rationalised first based on infrastructure and level of infrastructure needs to be made more consistent. For example where I live we only have 30 parking spaces for 100 flats - that is designed not to work and will never work. Just down the street in terraced houses, they have on street parking + converted gardens, so each house has 4-6 parking spaces and at least 2-5 cars. Another 500 meters further semi-detached houses have 8-10 parking spaces per house. With such disparity it is impossible to scale electric car charging and rationalise it. Certain number of parking spaces should be enforced by law (as in any modern country) and on street parking controlled/reduced i.e. no on street parking by default, but if you have converted you garden back to garden, then you can request 2 places for semi or 1 for terraced and maybe 80% ratio for flats.