Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Transmission fluid RX450h

This is an embarrassing question for me to ask given that I used to love doing my own repairs and maintenance on my cars, even down to stripping/rebuilding engines, alternators and almost anything in between, but I can't seem to find a dipstick for the transmission fluid  :unsure:

I've a long journey tomorrow (Preston to Cranbrook, Kent) so just been doing the usual checks and can't seem to find it anywhere - or do I have to take the engine covers off?

I assume that transmission is very similar to a one on GS. That means there is no dipstick. If you want to check oil level it is old school nut you need to undo and peek inside - something like on a rear diff. If you want to change or top up you need to take one hoses and put it that way.

In general it is similar idea like ZF got. Oil is for the lifetime of vehicle. How you define life time is another issue - for me it is warranty period so I've changed oil on my previous GS and going to do it soon on my current one too.

Im pretty sure the transmission oil is for lifetime of the vehicle.

Certainly not worth even bothering to change if less than 10 years old/100k miles anyway

Thanks guys. 

I'll be changing the fluid at about 10 years/100k miles as I've never believed in "lifetime" fluids, but to not provide a dipstick is just stupid. How else are we supposed to notice when or if things start to go wrong if you can't see it or measure it? Absolute folly!

No dipstick on my 400h and no mention of a change in the service manual, the only fluids changes apart from oil are brake fluid every 2 years, engine coolant at 100,000 miles the every 50,000 miles and inverter coolant at 100,000 miles and then every 50,000 miles.

Whenever I buy a secondhand car I have always changed all fluids because you just never know.

I don't know if it really does any good but I certainly do know that It does no harm and I know that it starts my ownership with nice clean stuff everywhere. The only reason I haven't done it with this one is that it's so new and only had 33k miles on it when we bought it at the beginning of February.

They are only recommended for replacement at 60k for severe conditions (taxi usage, stop start/short distance) but I personally would do it at 60k regardless as all oil deteriorates.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links