Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Service History

I wonder what you expect to see in a Full Service History ?

Personally I feel the a stamp in a book is pretty meaningless. All it tells you is that someone has put a stamp on the relevant page.

I prefer to see invoices, which detail what has been done to the car. I keep everything relating to the particular car I own. 

2 minutes ago, Hadrian said:

Personally I feel the a stamp in a book is pretty meaningless. All it tells you is that someone has put a stamp on the relevant page.

I prefer to see invoices, which detail what has been done to the car. I keep everything relating to the particular car I own. 

I agree.  My last LS had all invoices present which gave me much confidence.  I know a guy who runs a motor business and will gladly lend you the stamp and say fill you're own details in, so yes, a stamp alone doesn't mean much. My current GS has every Lexus stamp but not a single invoice.

14 minutes ago, Hadrian said:

Generally I think it depends on the vehicle.

A fairly new vehicle with dealer stamps and no invoices, I wouldnt be concerned as its very easy to ring the dealer up and check if its been done.

Invoices are always a plus, but many people don't keep them, especially when buying an older vehicle. 

Personally, once a car gets over 8 years old, I tend to buy on condition rather than service history. More often than not, a car which has been looked after is pretty easy to spot. 

2 hours ago, Hadrian said:

Its worth bearing in mind that a Lexus approved service history isn't necessarily a full service history (for people who aren't aware and buying from a main dealer- or after its been through the main dealer network)

I think its a shame dealers use this to their advantage. I appreciate that's not the point of your thread but I always like to drop it in if I can to raise awareness.

As you state a stamp means nothing, always ask for the receipts and read them thoroughly (apologies for going slightly off tangent) .

Having invoices also lets you know if there have been any recurring issues with the car. 

Going back quite a few years, I bought a Honda Accord from my Brother in Law.  I had a few issues with that, including an air-con

hose blowing off. It came off with such force that it damaged to bonnet. He said he'd never had a problem with it. When I looked at

an old invoice, it showed that it had been looked at but nothing done. It was a company car, so they do as little as possible when it

comes to a service.

• 2 weeks later...