Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ebay Brake Disc palaver.

bobjol

Decided to replace my front discs after feeling some vibration.  Car only does about 4000 miles a year, so opted for budget replacements.

On eBay found 2 Mintex discs for £61 and placed the order. Fitting and size was confirmed. Got the usual order confirmed email and later on 

received the normal order dispatched email from a UK based seller.  A few hours later I received an email from the seller stating that order was cancelled because, ( and I quote part of it)

"when we come to get the item off the shelf we have been unable to locate" and it was signed Thanks from Scott.

Ok, lets move on and find another pair of brake discs.   I found a similar pair of Mintex from a totally different seller in another part of UK priced at £64 and went through the whole ordering process again, and yes, the order was cancelled again after receiving all the usual order emails. The same email was received again from Scott saying exactly the same as the first order.

I paid for both orders by Paypal and the amounts were refunded in 24 hours.  I was starting to feel like my brake discs...just going round and round. Two different sellers in UK with the same email response and both Paypal payments made to the same account !!!!!

Should I be smelling a rat here, or is it normal on eBay for a supplier to use several Agents to promote and sell their products????

Just catching my breath and sanity now before embarking on another adventure into the world of purchasing brake discs.

Why not use lexusofficialstore seller on eBay, I know that it will be a lot more, but I think with brakes etc, always best to get OEM rather than try and save few quid.

The LS seems to be a real problem with vibration when not using OEM pads/discs.

I recently changed to Pagid pads (got fed up with blueprints - too much vibration about 4 months after fitting), but even the Pagids vibrate and squeak.  I suspect my discs are not OEM  (not fitted by me), so time to dig a bit deeper and get it done right, and then sit back and not worry about the brakes for a long time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got two replacement front discs from autodoc based in Germany. £60 for the pair and quick delivery. I've not got an LS so not familiar with any model-specific vibrations, but if you've started getting vibration you may want to check the condition of the calipers as well as the disc - potential sticking piston or guide pin. Wouldn't want to ruin a new set of discs if they're not the root of the problem.

I’ve just bought rear discs/pads/shoes from Mr Wiper - a minor issue after ordering re pads not being in stock, but otherwise fine

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_odkw=ls43&_ssn=mr-wiper&_armrs=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR9.TRC2.A0.H0.Xls430.TRS0&_nkw=ls430&_sacat=0

1 hour ago, Cotswold Pete said:

Why not use lexusofficialstore seller on ebay, I know that it will be a lot more, but I think with brakes etc, always best to get OEM rather than try and save few quid.

The LS seems to be a real problem with vibration when not using OEM pads/discs.

I recently changed to Pagid pads (got fed up with blueprints - too much vibration about 4 months after fitting), but even the Pagids vibrate and squeak.  I suspect my discs are not OEM  (not fitted by me), so time to dig a bit deeper and get it done right, and then sit back and not worry about the brakes for a long time.

Personally I think its to do with the fitter rather than the discs themselves, and maybe they didn’t take the time to clean the hubs before fitting the discs. 

See pics of front hubs on mine, after Paul had given them a good clean up - I thought he was showing me a pic of the discs, not the hubs!

Admittedly, I went with genuine Lexus for the fronts, mainly as I see them doing 80% plus of the braking effort; the rears on mine will be APEC, and which served my old  W126 SEC very well.

9B12CFBA-CD63-463F-B8F0-675AD8EA25D4.jpeg

• Like 1

I bought mine LS430 from eBay earlier this year using the link below - everything supplied and delivered as expected. Suggest using the same seller if they have what you need in stock.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-New-lexus-LS430-Front-Brake-x2-Disc-315-mm-43512-50230/122920961677

I have a link for the minted pads also if needed.

P.S. Be sure and clean the hub thoroughly and a little copper grease or silicone before fitting the new rotors.

Sorry the item has expired, so the link won't work but the seller was listed as

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/toyota_lexus_dealer

image.png

• 2 months later...

eBay is now deleted from my life....ordered a wheelie bin surround from a US seller at $47.00 with free shipping but turned out the seller’s account had been hacked and eBay cancelled the transaction, as the seller had not accepted the payment I received an immediate Paypal refund.

Second attempt was the same item but this time a UK seller at £36.00 with free shipping, same story account hacked,transaction cancelled but this time no immediate refund, opened dispute as advised by eBay.....20 day wait and see game, opened a dispute with Paypal....30day wait and see! Then to top it all eBay washed their hands of it and closed the dispute as I had also opened a case with Paypal so much for “Buyer Protection”.

Ebay's "Buyer Protection" was always only words on the screen, Paypal is a bit more interested in honest customer service. But on the other hand, from some signs, how many "hacked" accounts eBay have now, and some info from people much deeper in serious IT (I am sort of pro, but far away from web, databases and their security), it looks like something happened last months - a) eBay had serious security breach/leak "on they own" or b) any serious hackers targeted eBay or c) some dumb scammers put their hands on serious hacking tools.

BTW keep in mind approx. last two years the invisible cyberwar is upon us (ok, some battles were spectacularly visible, NHS...). Behind every corner of internet there are (BTW even I witnessed them in my niche) attacks and hacks I did not believe in even 5 years ago. It came in waves, IMHO it looks like current wave has hit eBay harder. I heard and read many theories who, why, what, but IMVHO it looks like nobody knows for real what is going on, every scammer suddenly have an advanced and automated "tools" and resources to use them, and everybody hacks everybody. Or they pretend to be scammers... From what I see in logs and servers under my rock at the bottom of internet sometimes I don't get why fat targets, like google, big IT players, governments, banks etc. are still online, how they defend themself under permanent attack.

Welcome to the future, some say.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links