Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Apparently not, as I have requested this myself of the dealer, both on my previous car, a 55 plate GS and my current one an 11 plate GS. It seems that it is only an option on the mk4 (2012 onwards). I have heard of kits that people have bought that can do it and perhaps someone has a price for one of those. 

• Thanks 1

If anyone can tell me how to get at the back of those buttons in the drop down tray. I believe I can come up with a simple wiring diagram to make the mirrors auto fold when the doors lock, and unlock.

John.

• Like 1

That'd be a neat trick John.

Oooh I like taking stuff apart...

Still surfing for details but found a few useful images showing mounting of the overall unit; http://www.usedautopartsyouneed.com/lexus-used-parts/lexus-gs300-ls430-switches-84010-30200-624.html

How the switch panel clips onto the housing; https://www.ebay.com/itm/06-08-LEXUS-GS300-GS350-GS430-GS450h-GS460-MASTER-SWITCH-CONTROL-PANEL-OEM/222969384015

Part numbers; https://lexus.7zap.com/en/eu/lexus+gs/334510/gws191r-bexqhw/4/5501/551630f/#55459D

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Britprius said:

If anyone can tell me how to get at the back of those buttons in the drop down tray. I believe I can come up with a simple wiring diagram to make the mirrors auto fold when the doors lock, and unlock.

John.

I'll be looking with great interest at this.  Even my Volvo has the option to auto fold, I'm really surprised the GS doesn't.

I will have a go at removing the button tray, and see what I can come up with. I have the circuit diagram for the mirror operation, but for the life of me I cannot find a reference to the operating button in the drop down tray.

John

It's annoying that the mirrors on my is300 don't fold either. I also have a Ford BMax and they fold automatically.

Then again, that also has voice control which my lexus doesn't.  It does seem to amount  to unnecessary penny pinching.

Or maybe they are optional extras when buying the car ?

7 hours ago, Hadrian said:

It's annoying that the mirrors on my is300 don't fold either. I also have a Ford BMax and they fold automatically.

Then again, that also has voice control which my lexus doesn't.  It does seem to amount  to unnecessary penny pinching.

Or maybe they are optional extras when buying the car ?

The GS has voice control for various things. I can ask it to set the interior temperature and it will do it quite happily, maybe I should try shouting!😁

2 hours ago, Hadrian said:

They are things which I didn't even consider when buying the car. I'm still happy with the purchase though.

It's a minor thing so I'm really not that bothered.  I did speak to the car this morning to see what happened when I said "fold door mirrors" it came back at me saying "setting temperature to 30 degrees" 

• Haha 1

I agree this would be a nice modification and really should have been part of the standard specification.

Another thing that would be good if the mirrors automatically unfolded once you exceed 10 mph or thereabouts.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Y

13 hours ago, Odysseus said:

Another thing that would be good if the mirrors automatically unfolded once you exceed 10 mph or thereabouts.

Yeah had this on previous cars too.

14 hours ago, Odysseus said:

I agree this would be a nice modification and really should have been part of the standard specification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driving off without having unfolded mirrors stikes me as driving without due care and attention!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Driving off without having unfolded mirrors stikes me as driving without due care and attention!

Yes, my thinking too.

• Like 1

The lack of automatically folding mirrors in Lexus is American thing, in US they don't even fold at all. That is because in US average car parking space is at least twice as wide as one in EU, so it is simply not necessary. As such Lexus has retrofired folding mirror function in EU without much thought about it. I think they later added it as feature in US, just because exotic Europeans like BMW does it and it "looks cool".

On 5/17/2018 at 9:33 AM, Mike Hartland said:

I have heard of kits that people have bought that can do it and perhaps someone has a price for one of those. 

There is PO-40 kit for IS250 and I see no reason why it would not work on GS, simply folds the mirrors when you lock the car and unfolds when you unlock it. you can still manually fold and unfold them with the button in you need to.

I fitted a PO-40 kit to my ISF and it works a treat. The mirrors fold in when I lock the car and fold back out again when I unlock the car. It's very handy to be able to answer the question "did I lock the car" with out walking back to check - something that occurs with increasing frequency as you get older (believe me!). I ordered the kit from a guy in Australia and it arrived in about a week. The details are elsewhere on the forum if you search for PO-40.

• 4 years later...
On 5/17/2018 at 9:26 AM, The-Acre said:

To save me trawling through the manual, does anyone know if the door mirrors can fold automatically?

On 5/17/2018 at 9:33 AM, Mike Hartland said:

Apparently not, as I have requested this myself of the dealer, both on my previous car, a 55 plate GS and my current one an 11 plate GS. It seems that it is only an option on the mk4 (2012 onwards). I have heard of kits that people have bought that can do it and perhaps someone has a price for one of those. 

I know it a bit too late but I will surprise you all! It can fold automatically as you lock the car!

How did I do that? I have no idea, unfortunately. 

I just was browsing through different settings to find clock changer as I forgot where it was as my unit all in Japanese.

But when I locked my car they just folded, I was a bit shocked and surprised and couldn't believe it.

2 hours ago, Toyoda said:

I know it a bit too late but I will surprise you all! It can fold automatically as you lock the car!

How did I do that? I have no idea, unfortunately. 

I just was browsing through different settings to find clock changer as I forgot where it was as my unit all in Japanese.

But when I locked my car they just folded, I was a bit shocked and surprised and couldn't believe it.

I can’t speak for other Lexus models, but in my IS250, the auto folding of the door mirrors is enabled/disabled by pressing the switch labelled ‘auto’ in the mirror adjustment unit in the driver’s door panel.

You set it with the ignition on and confirmation pops up on the dash unit.

Mind you, some models don’t have this function anyway..  But it’s very useful as it confirms at a glance that the car is locked.

11 hours ago, LenT said:

I can’t speak for other Lexus models, but in my IS250, the auto folding of the door mirrors is enabled/disabled by pressing the switch labelled ‘auto’ in the mirror adjustment unit in the driver’s door panel.

You set it with the ignition on and confirmation pops up on the dash unit.

Mind you, some models don’t have this function anyway..  But it’s very useful as it confirms at a glance that the car is locked.

Hey Len, yes the 2012~ had this option and I believe GS models should have it by default being higher premium product it just more relevant for older models 05~12 they had just a button to manually open and close without any information about auto mod which actually exists within the system. 

• Like 1