Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Any major 2AD-FTV engine issues?

dandreye

Hi All,

Apologies for asking something that's most likely written and re-written about throughout this forum: just got my previous car stolen and looking at the IS220d as a potential replacement, which I need asap, hence all the rush. Are there any known major issues with the 2AD-FTV engine, e.g. something as bad as the 2AD-FHV engines are famous for, or the 2AD-FTV can be considered trouble-free compared to the 2AD-FHV? Also did ALL cars in question made in 2010 and later come with the 2AD-FTV engine in them? 

Many thanks in anticipation!

Any particular reason you are drawn to the Derv over the petrol version, mpg in the diesel is not going to be fantastic if you are in greater London and yes both engines you mention suffer from EGR issues and 5th injector problems. 

Really need to search around here and do some reading and weigh up the petrol over the derv, buying a car in a rush may be regretful to say the least.

for me personally I feel diesel has had its day in 'small' vehicle use, pushed back in the day by a glut of diesel and government subsides manufactures were thrown in and the on the back of a Lexus was the worst thing they ever produced.

now Volvo have succumbed among others, https://www.carthrottle.com/post/volvo-has-finally-confirmed-the-end-of-its-diesel-engines/

1 hour ago, Texas said:

Any particular reason you are drawn to the Derv over the petrol version

Thanks for your feedback and warnings. The main reason so far is reportedly much cheaper insurance for diesel ones vs petrol ones. Having a higher torque at low rpm first time in life is another one: I've never owned a diesel car so far. Have to say that I don't really need a diesel engine for its main purpose i.e. long distance journeys, at least yet: in fact I mostly travel a walking distance to the office and back (~half a mile one way) and about the same distance to the nearest supermarkets with occasional leisure travel from TW14 to Kensington, Reading (~25-30 miles one way) and Christchurch (~90 miles one way). I'm well aware of some diesel engines, in particular those found in old Mazda 6 really suffering because of the mostly short-distance travel (IIRC the DPF rarely gets a chance to clean itself, triggering further issues) and am wondering if the 2AD-FHV/FTV ones likewise do. My main concern so far is the aluminium block oxidation issue somewhere along the head gasket contact line: looks like it's still there even in 2AD-FTV?... If so it's clearly just the matter of time and I surely wouldn't want to sit on the risk w/o a 100% engine replacement guarantee as I intend to own it as long as I can. Another issue I've learned about so far is cylinder wall deformation, which reportedly leads to head gasket failures (unless it's the same issue described differently). 

EGR valve clogging sounds like something I'd be able to cope with on my own if it occurs say mo more than once a year (I'm a bit into car mechanics). I have yet to familiarize with the 5th injector issue.

I have no experience whatsoever with the IS220D other than the extensive threads I've read on here.  On the evidence of what I've read, DON'T  buy an IS220D, especially as your journeys are short.

I've had a couple of IS250s and they are great cars in my opinion.

Someone else with Lexus diesel experience will be along soon I'm sure.

Diesel owner reporting for duty :smile:

In all seriousness, if you are doing short journeys then you will suffer DPF and EGR clogging issues.  The 220d does not like poodling around town at the best of times, but London would be even worse.

Also, I don't know what your personal preference is, but I would definitely want an automatic car around those parts, which isn't available on the diesel (it also isn't the greatest feeling manual box either).

You will suffer a little from the difference in fuel consumption, but it sounds like you don't do a lot of miles, so the cost won't be much greater.

If it was me, I would get a IS250 and waft around leisurely. :smile:

• Like 1

Your use doesn't match the needs of the IS220D to give it half a chance of being reliable. If anything, it will just make the common problems occur faster. I agree with those that say get petrol. The savings on repairs will more than make up for the insurance diffrence.

steveledzep:

Shahpor:

iwonder:

Thanks for your replies. Hmm... looks like the IS220d needs to go from the shortlist in such case. Furthermore I may have to look at a different make/model as I just love manual gearbox, which is sadly not available with the petrol version indeed as already stated above. Really struggling to understand why not just fit the CD diesel engine, which had already been pretty well tested by that moment... the feeling is that to make a trouble free car is often not the goal :-)

The IS 250 (petrol) is available with a manual (6-speed) gearbox, but it is not the sought after option as the VED or road tax is eye watering compared to the auto ( £315 for auto & £540 for manual !) and let's face it if you are gonna drive a Lexus then the auto is the preferred choice.

I didn't want to jump in and reply to your first post with ' got the love of god Do Not get a Diesel Lexus IS ' but I think you may be getting the drift that it is not the best!

like I said above I feel that car manufactures were cohearsed into producing diesel variants and Lexus should not have went there!

paul m.

I had a 220d and loved it but did a high millage. I don't think any modern diesel is suitable for short journeys not just Lexus. Now have a hybrid and think it's a very good compromise.

Texas:

The IS 250 (petrol) is available with a manual (6-speed) gearbox

Apparently yes (my mistake): looking at those now. Interestingly Autotrader website says road tax is £315 not 540 at least for some of them, e.g. for this one:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201804275979623

Insurance isn't actually that bad but now that (I suppose) I no longer have a no claims bonus after claiming the old car theft the total of ~£775 (TPFT) sounds a bit highish and needs getting used to. Considering a petrol manual Honda Accord as a backup option: my old car was a 1999 Accord, nothing special but nice build/durability and fairly cheap overall with my own labour. Prior to it I owned a couple of Toyota Avensis 1 (sequentially), which I just loved, but modern ones afaik are diesel only and have the look that I don't like.

Ala Larj:

I don't think any modern diesel is suitable for short journeys not just Lexus.

I'm arriving at the same conclusion in the light of the above: I suppose it's dating back to the days when DPF was introduced.

2 minutes ago, steveledzep said:

I think 2006 and previous has the £300 roadtax and post 2006 is the £500 jobbie.

That helps: imagining their high build quality and reliability I don't mind buying an older car at all. 

I had a 2007 IS250 and it was perfect.  I have a 2009 one now, and it's still awesome.  I have the auto, and it is such a smooth box that it makes sitting in traffic zero hassle.  Don't discount it out of hand - maybe try a test drive first 🙂