Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS220D cuts out once engine warm

Glend

Hello forum. Ive read through the forum for my issue but can't find exactly the same issue (forgive me if I have missed it).

I recently bought an 07 IS220 D, full Lexus service history up till last year.

The car is in great condition and for the first couple of months has been a great runner. Recently I had been driving the car for about 40 minutes on 30-40 mph roads and it started to judder then just cut out. I tried to re start it but the engine just kept turning over, at this point I called out the RAC who told me it would be approx 90 minutes. RAC man turns up and tries to start it....and it did! He followed me home and it drove with no issues. He plugged in the computer but there were no fault codes. He stripped the EGR valve and gave it a quick clean as he had experienced something similar before. Anyway a week later the exact same thing happened, I managed to get it towed home. Once home and cooled down it started first time with no problems, at this time I started looking through this forum for anything like this occurring. 

I have so far have taken the EGR valve off and stripped it down for cleaning, it is now sparkling and the movement of the valve is smooth. I have also replaced the fuel filter (that was fun.....). 

I have given it another run and once again when the engine gets warmed up, it gives a judder and then stalls. A friend has plugged a diagnostic tool and there are no fault codes at all.

Has anyone had this issue and managed to sort it? I'm a bit apprehensive about taking it to a garage when the fault is so intermittent.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Glen,

It sounds like a fuelling issue.  Unfortunately, to test this yourself you will need a copy of Toyota's TechStream software.  The good news is that you can pick up a copy on eBay along with the required cable quite cheaply.

If you do manage to get it, then you can run the following tests to see if the fuel pressure is correct:

Capture.thumb.JPG.8dc7ec2769747d41f1cdf722781469b0.JPG

Capture2.thumb.JPG.9a0947832ea892367beff0a9cb6b97b3.JPG

If it falls outside these figures, it suggests a new fuel pump is required.

Hope this helps.

Cheers for this info Shahpor. Where does the temp gauge get its signal from? I didn't see any erratic reading on gauge when the car cut out.

Favourite for a hot engine non running is the CPS (Crank Position Sensor) these can become temperature sensitive and fail to provide a signal when they warm up.

The sensor pick up is mounted next to the crank pulley, next time the problem happens you could try using a hair dryer on cool blow directed at the sensor then see if restarts normally once cooled down.

• 2 months later...