Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rear hub help

Tallgeese

Hi guys I’m a newbie here and I’m in need of some urgent help, I have had a grinding noise from the rear driver side since I bought my 2002 is200 on close investigation I have found that the rear disk is rubbing on the lower part of the back assembly, I have since seen that the hub that holds the disk in place is bent or not straight and I’m not sure why or if it’s the hub or the drive shaft that holds it that is bent.  If someone could guide me I’d be very greatful.

please see attached pics 

59951FA5-810F-433B-9711-E7C2CBAA5D06.jpeg

1AD4CE44-A5B1-487B-826F-9ADCF116A6BA.jpeg

B3344C0C-353E-457F-B9A0-8153278D4F67.jpeg

D3F6A60F-683E-46C7-91EC-A3588BE338F2.jpeg

It is most likely that the back plate is bent. If the hub bearings were failing the disc would rubbing at the top of the back plate. A bent drive shaft would show as rubbing the entire edge of the back plate, and you would have what looks like a buckled wheel as it rotates.

John

I used to see this when i worked at lexus every time we changed rear discs. It was as if the groove on the back of the disc that goes over that ridge is not deep enough. We used to hit the ridged part of the backing plate back to create a gap which would stop the noise.

Are you sure the hub is bent and its not just the angle of the flange and the brake shoe? Can you see on the back of the disc where it is catching? We did use to hit that ridge hard with a big punch and a large hammer maybe just not hit it back enough? Do the discs look pretty new?

The discs are brand new, the disc rubs on the small channel that goes around the back. It’s only catching on the bottom as shown in the pics:( 

The housing for the hand brake assembly is badly worn down where it’s been rubbing there’s a good few millimetres worn away so this has been happening for a good long while.

I think I’ll just have to let a garage check it over at this point as it’s looking increasingly likely the car has had some kind of rear end crash that’s bent a few bits.