Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Replacing SatNav

PeterT

So I think I have found a way to replace the fitted GPS with a new Garmin model cheaply, but before I share pictures etc I need to work out how to get the audio to come thru original stereo. I presume the current audio comes from the DVD Drive in the boot, so what I want to do is intercept before it goes into the radio and splice my audio feed into the existing. Would appreciate anyone’s help 

thanks

Peter

Nice project, going this route, I might be tempted to install a separate speaker for it. Are you proposing to replace the navigation screen itself as in this thread?

www.clublexus.com/forums/sc430-2nd-gen-2001-2010/833612-headunit-and-nav-screen-upgrade.html

It is possible to send a video signal to the existing screen. I can't find the diagram for the radio and Nav wiring but these resources may help or put you on the right track.

www.beatsonicusa.com/Instruction_Manuals/MVA-13L_manual_NEW.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Neil had not seen this post dispite looking everywhere. I am looking at installing the new Garmin 61 DriveSmart. I believe it will fit in if I remove the case. You can wire a reverse camera in also from Garmin easily and as it has Bluetooth also allows phone integration. The last bit is getting the sound from it thru the original radio which I dont want to replace,

This is the wiring diagram that should help. I found a few subtle differences with the UK spec. car but it's almost the same.

file:///C:/Users/Neil E/Downloads/2003 SC430 audio diagram page 2 (1).pdf  

www.clublexus.com/forums/sc430-2nd-gen-2001-2010/278001-bluetooth-for-sc430-before-2005-a.html

The Garmin looks pretty cool and easy to use. I've replaced my head unit with an Alpine so Apple devices can already be plugged in, DVD, rear cam etc, etc. I've been thinking of swapping it for an Alpine sat nav enabled HU but I can use an IPad if I need to so do I really need to upgrade? Probably not.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I just wanted to update everyone as this forum has proved invaluable, I should state I am an amateur but have now fitter a new Garmin DriveSmart 61LMT with reversing camera. I have also updated the fascia and appreciate any comments and happy to offer any help people may want.will update with more pictures later.

C16C89EE-5AA9-4975-BB52-A89CC8DF39EF.jpeg

B902011D-1184-4566-AF9F-6D183C226E76.jpeg

34C07D4C-3ADD-4E17-BCE9-97423082B156.jpeg

6C1D7060-57E6-4D5D-A54D-3E0A30CE9ED1.jpeg

C72B0BAA-C6DA-4A2E-A490-89A453677A51.jpeg

1CD67EC0-C6AC-4339-9AB9-53A0C6A8DE42.jpeg

• Like 4

By the number plate the great thing with the Zgarmin reversing camera is its wireless, tap into reverse light for power and automatically switches over when you engage reverse

A2E91DF6-0B19-4051-827F-ADB174EF9F34.jpeg

• Like 3

Ah okay that's where I have mine. I was going to mount it in the spoiler for a better view but decided it was too much hard work. I didn't think of going wireless. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Peter,

Just seen your post and think the new Garmin looks great. I am thinking of doing this also but notice that the Garmin model you listed is a stand alone item for windscreen mounting, have i missed something? Do you have any tips on the installation? What model of camera did you use on the number plate?

I also love the new dash look, was this hard to get done, is it just a "stick on" sheet that is cut to size?

The back up camera is the Garmin BC 30, which is really easy to insert. The sat nav is harder you need to remove the screen elementand then mount the Garmin in the space I used a couple of metal brackets and silicone. You aslo need to make a whole in the rear for the power cable which must be used as extensions would not work. It is easier than it sounds but certainly not quick. Let me know if I can help further 

• Like 2

The sat nav is a standalone model https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/552113 it fits the space perfectly once screen has been removed but as I said all cabling must stay in place as is needed to open and close the electric door covering. All needs to be removed but metal frame is what you need, the electronics on the inside of the plastic frame also is not needed

20180518_163016550_iOS.jpg

20180518_163034033_iOS.jpg

20180518_204109858_iOS.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

As new owner i'm looking to modernise yet appear factory. This really looks the bees. If you use a Bluetooth adaptor for streaming your mobile via the ML system. For example Vaistech, Grom etc will the connection made with phone and Garmin stream through the ML? eliminating the need for seperate speaker?

Professional looking finished. i'm impressed 

Paul

The speaker for the Garmin can be heard no problem with top up, when down it is hard. The car I bought already had a Bluetooth Sony adaptor with separate speaker fitted, to be honest I left it but am already thinking of changing for the Grom https://gromaudio.com/installs/lexus_sc430_2006__installation_of_grom-usb.html

Peter

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I have just done the same, but instead of a garmin, I have gone with a Raspberry Pi running OpenAuto Pro. The replacement screen does have room for expansion with VGA, rca and HDMI.

I also used the GROM aux adaptor - it works well (as long as I have a CD in the drive).

• Like 2

Model SC430 2008  Have successfully installed Garmin 65 Smart Drive replacing OME Nav & Garmin BC40 back-up camera using two Buck 12volt to 1.5volt converters for power supply in-lieu of changing batteries every 2 to 3 months also hard wiring to power supply through reversing lights helps prevent theft of the camera.

Had to replace the nav unit as up-grade disc un- available for NZ maps The Garmin is the latest version and has lifetime free upgrade. Definition is superior [more pixels ]as is the camera which has 140 degree viewing.

Regards John

• Like 1

Please note correction Garmin Smart Drive 65 incompatible with BC40 camera , use outdated BC30 camera or Garmin Drivetrack 71 which is compatible, Cheers Bax

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Great posts  and  Ive just purchased a GSD 65 with Alexa  to fit. 

Im still unclear as to wether anyone managed to link it to the cars stereo, with mute facility. 

Also Bax can you confirm which camera you fitted? The 65 does accept the Bc40 now after an update. 

Did you fit the Bc 30 and if so can you just use the camera and sender at the rear and connect vis Bluetooth or do you need the adapted power supply. 

Cheers Nigel 

• 7 months later...

@Peter T - great info.. could you detail how you hooked the camera to the reverse wire or what you did so that the camera shows on screen when the car is put in reverse?  Im not following it.  thanks