Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hiya,

Posted before about second hand RX400H, March 2008 with 100080 miles on the clock, from a main Lexus dealer.  The car is actually pretty stunning inside and out.

Managed to get them down from £9995 with 1-year warranty, year's road tax and a full tank of petrol to £7250 with none of the before mentioned .  They will MOT the vehicle for me but that's is - "SOLD AS SEEN".

Please tell me I am doing the right thing here?

Didn’t think there was such a thing as a “Sold as seen” vehicle from a motor dealer due to consumer rights and you basically have a 6 month window from purchase should any problems occur.

https://www.theaa.com/car-buying/legal-rights

Just double check everything works, every switch,button and function.

Get them to do a Hybrid Health Check if not already done.

If you are concerned about the lack of warranty use some of the money you save to buy one later.

Finally check the new MOT for advisories and is there a FLSH?

1 hour ago, steve2006 said:

Didn’t think there was such a thing as a “Sold as seen” vehicle from a motor dealer due to consumer rights?

Just double check everything works, every switch,button and function.

Get them to do a Hybrid Health Check if not already done.

If you are concerned about the lack of warranty use some of the money you save to buy one.

Brian will still have his Statutory Warranty which will enable him to have significant defects fixed at Lexus` cost.

I do not believe that a Statutory Warranty can be avoided.

That’s how I am also looking at it John, I think the only way a dealer can get out of the legal implications is to sell the car as scrap and even that could now be difficult as all scrap cars are now required to go to a registered recycle centre.

• Like 1

it was always that a car from any sort of dealer, even a private person masquerading as NOT being a dealer, with any car over £1000, the dealer had a statutory obligation to fix anything wrong that was significant .........  not say a lightbulb maybe ......... 

and they always did for fear of Trading Standards actually taking an interest in them.

And as this car is being purchased from a Lexus main dealer then it's quite unlikely there would be anything too much to worry about, especially if you bought an extended warranty after the first year's free warranty ................and checked the fresh MOT was clear and any Advisories sorted before delivery

I can't imagine the regime for statutory stuff has diminished over the years.

Malc

A two year Lexus warranty on that vehicle is £995, and this is the last chance of buying one for it, as it's ten years old.  I think I'd say to them that I'll buy the car for £8k if they'll put a two year warranty on it - and then start to walk away and see what happened.  The cost of the warranty will give you peace of mind, as it covers just about everything that isn't wear and tear.

: o )

and just what might go wrong after the 100k miles, now reached .................... at which the Lexus warranty would classify almost everything being claimed for as Fair Wear and Tear,  I wonder :whistling1: 

Malc

Having checked out the model on resale there is a lot of stock out there and some better examples mileage wise than the one you have cited also the terms the Lexus dealer as given you are not what I would expect from Lexus sounds like this is a part X they have got stuck with and want rid .

Have a look on "Trovit" there are at least a dozen good examples.

1 hour ago, scythe said:

A two year Lexus warranty on that vehicle is £995, and this is the last chance of buying one for it, as it's ten years old.  I think I'd say to them that I'll buy the car for £8k if they'll put a two year warranty on it - and then start to walk away and see what happened.  The cost of the warranty will give you peace of mind, as it covers just about everything that isn't wear and tear.

: o )

I cannot find the source currently, but I am sure that if it exists then perhaps FARQUI can?

The source I AM LOOKING FOR STATED THAT SO LONG AS THE FIRST LEXUS EXTENDED WARRANTY was taken out within the 10 year/140,000 mile limits and subsequent renewals were made without a break in cover, then the warranty would be continuous regardless of age or mileage.

Thus it was theoretically possible to have cover all the way to say, 20 years/200,000 miles.

1 hour ago, scythe said:

10 years seems to be the limit:

https://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/warranty/

Thanks Scythe. My contention is that less than 10 years and 140,000 miles is required for ENTRY into the Extended Warranty cover.

I have seen the text somewhere, probably within the TWG policy Document its self that cover is extended BEYOND 10 years/140,000 miles,so long as there is no break in the Warranty.

I am hoping that Farqui reads this as I`m sure he can find it.

4 hours ago, Malc said:

at which the Lexus warranty would classify almost everything being claimed for as Fair Wear and Tear,  I wonder

+ an 'expert' opinion against a 'mear driver'