Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Towbar Bicycle carrier

• 2 weeks later...

You will need to be careful about weight if carrying bikes 

The max weight that the tow bar will take is only 60kg downforce if it is a Lexus own make  and the rack must weigh about 18kg so only leaving max carry weight of 42kg.

I think that this weight of only 60kg is really poor considering the vehicle (I tow and a nose weight max of 60kg is about the lowest in the vehicles class group) my old CRV had a max of 100kg, and I notice too late that the AutoHak Towbar noseweight is 75kg

Thanks for the advice!

I have checked all the weights of the bikes and I think I will be ok. They seem lighter than 40 kilograms.

The bikes are very light in weight and 2 of then are Kid’s bikes.

will be testing 4 bikes on the tow bar soon. Will report back!

• 2 months later...

Ok 4 bikes on the bicycle carrier and it hasn't move an inch.

I'm extremely happy with this carrier!  Easy to set up and very stable.

Drove the car with the 4 bikes to the New forest without any problems.  Of course you need to drive carefully and not like a maniac ha ha!

IMG_0698.jpg

IMG_0700.jpg

IMG_0699.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

We bought the tow bar from Lexus Not sure about the cost because  Lexus did it as part of a deal when I bought the car. It’s an invisible tow bar which you can remove easily. The carrier was £440. The carrier is great and I’m extremely happy with it. Seems very well made. Good luck!

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Arif Devji said:

OMG - a possible at last

I have a nexus NX300H and I need to carry 3 bikes  - please forward me any information on this amazing solution

Arif Devji

07768 921 589

Hi Arif 

The carrier is the THULE VELOCOMPACT 927 TOWBAR CAR BIKE RACK - 3 BIKES which cost  around £400. You can buy an extra item to carry a 4rth bike.

This bike carrier has the advantage you can press a pedal and angle the bikes while in the carrier and open the boot.  Which other bike carriers may not have.

Funny enough I have been using the carrier quite a lot these pass few weeks.  Great bike carrier.

Read the instructions carefully to secure it to the tow bar. You need a tow bar too.  My one is fitted by lexus which you can remove.  It's a removable tow bar..  Only takes 10 seconds to do.

Good Luck!

Thule carrier.JPG

Arif - it's probably not a good idea to post your private contact details on a public forum...

I've been thinking about getting a towbar fitted to my car - went to the Lexus dealer and they want over £1k to purchase and fit it...😲

5 minutes ago, villieb said:

Arif - it's probably not a good idea to post your private contact details on a public forum...

I've been thinking about getting a towbar fitted to my car - went to the Lexus dealer and they want over £1k to purchase and fit it...😲

I had another quote for another fitter and it was around £350.  Lexus can be expensive.  I will try another private towbar fitter company if I were you.

• 1 month later...

hello there, we just bought a Lexus NX 300H and we have a Thule for 3 bikes which we used with our Audi Q3 (we now sold it).  We asked Lexus to fit a tow bar to the car we purchased from them and they quoted us 2.1K incl. VAT.  This is extortionate!  Does anyone know any reputable companies that can fit the tow bar cheaper. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/30/2020 at 12:13 PM, MarcoL said:

hello there, we just bought a Lexus NX 300H and we have a Thule for 3 bikes which we used with our Audi Q3 (we now sold it).  We asked Lexus to fit a tow bar to the car we purchased from them and they quoted us 2.1K incl. VAT.  This is extortionate!  Does anyone know any reputable companies that can fit the tow bar cheaper. 

There is a company  in Tonbridge who fits tow bars for a few hundred pounds.  Can't remember the name but I'll try to find it.

What I did was when I bought the car from lexus I told them to add it to the deal or I wasn't getting the car. I paid £600 extra for them to fit the tow bar.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
10 minutes ago, MarcoL said:

Hi, do the towbar cause any issues with rear camera/sensors or brake/indicators lights?

thank you!

The tow bar doesn’t cause any issues but the bicycle rack does. You will need to switch off the rear sensors and then switch them back when the rack is not in use.   I hope this is useful.