Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New member and first time Lexus owner.

Ac1978

Hi all, I’ve finally given up on mercedes and brought a 96 ls400 and after driving it 230 miles home yesterday I wish I’d brought one years ago.We had a friend of the family who had a 95 ls400 from new and I always greatly admired it,but preferred mercedes after owning a few old mercs and watching them rust away I thought I’d get a ls400.Everything I’ve read about these Lexus is true a really fantastic car.The car itself needs a bit of work but it’s a good starting point it only has 87000 miles,2 owners,very original and everything is present as it left currie motors in 1996.The car has a few electrical gremlins which I will post about somewhere else,mechanically the only thing I noticed on the long drive was the air con compressor/condenser cutting in and out every couple of minutes which ruined an otherwise very smooth silent engine,at first I thought it was a fan problem but when the climate control is off it doesn’t do it,I don’t suppose this is a design flaw so I’ll put it on the to do list.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ac1978 said:

Hi all, I’ve finally given up on mercedes and brought a 96 ls400 and after driving it 230 miles home yesterday I wish I’d brought one years ago.We had a friend of the family who had a 95 ls400 from new and I always greatly admired it,but preferred mercedes after owning a few old mercs and watching them rust away I thought I’d get a ls400.Everything I’ve read about these Lexus is true a really fantastic car.The car itself needs a bit of work but it’s a good starting point it only has 87000 miles,2 owners,very original and everything is present as it left currie motors in 1996.The car has a few electrical gremlins which I will post about somewhere else,mechanically the only thing I noticed on the long drive was the air con compressor/condenser cutting in and out every couple of minutes which ruined an otherwise very smooth silent engine,at first I thought it was a fan problem but when the climate control is off it doesn’t do it,I don’t suppose this is a design flaw so I’ll put it on the to do list.

Welcome Andrew, you are not the first to cast aside Mercedes,nor will you be the last.

I`m sure that you will not regret your purchase and I look forward to learning of the pleasures you will undoubtedly derive from one of the most under appreciated marques in the motoring world.

Enjoy the world of Lexus motoring. 

never too late to get a Ls400 ..............:yahoo:

you will enjoy it for many years should you wish ....  well done

is it a Mk3 ?

mine is my third and newest Ls400, been driving them for about 17 years as my main car ......  205k miles and just had the cambelt and waterpump changed so should last another 10 years / 100k miles ok

Malc

6 hours ago, Ac1978 said:

Thanks for the welcome

i haven’t worked out what mks are what yet am I right in thinking the mk5 was the last ls400.

The MK4 was the last LS400, many say it's the very best although all are excellent.

Easy to identify if it's a Mk3 ............  there are no separate fog lights at the front, the fog beam is in the main light cluster.

Malc

Thanks that confirms it’s a mk3.

does anyone have any tyre recommendations,I have a quote to get the wheels refurbished and the rears nead new tyres,they are the Dunlop dz8 dated 2003,the treads ok but the side walls are cracking,considering the amount of power at the rear wheels I’m scared to drive it.