Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GS450h MPG... why would you buy a 3L Diesel

29 minutes ago, Vlady said:

I didn't know or expect a GS to do that! This is great, beautiful! I wouldn't do that to my car but it nice to know it can be done!

Do you think they had to disconnect all the electric restrictions on the car to do that? Is there actually a button that can switch off all of it so you can have some skidding fun, on a private road of course. 🙂

I think 5th gear tried to power slide it in their review a few years back. 

• 4 weeks later...

Best ever mpg. I’m visiting my mother in Pitlochry - filled up at Perth and got this up the A9 - speeds were tempered due to average speed cameras that now cover the whole route. My car is normally driven on hillier routes so to see it so nearly 50mpg is amazing. IMG_2912.JPG

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I am a first time buyer of a Lexus, with a 2012 GS450h Premier. Three and a half years with a Merc CLK320 and two years with a BMW 330 CDI were good forerunners for the Lexus. The big diesels are still tractor like and expensive. I am getting far better fuel consumption, especially around town, where I have modified my driving to maximise the hybrid benefits. So a 3.5 litre petrol engine is outperforming 3 litre diesels in both consumption  and performance. What is more, the Lexus is one of the most comfortable cars I have driven and that incudes a lot of high class and sports saloons including American cars. It is the quietest at speed, smoothest through the range and I just love driving it. When I am cross country, I live in a market town in Wiltshire, Sport mode gets me past slower vehicles in double quick time, on the motorway it is lazy and needs care not to exceed the speed limit by a silly amount. In normal mode it is a luxury saloon with a great ride. I have had the car for six weeks and done nearly 2,500 miles, it's terrific. It was double the price of my last Merc, but worth every penny.

• Like 7

• 3 months later...

Five months and 4,000 plus miles later and this car exceeds my expectation of a Lexus. I thought I'd owned most of the cars I ever wanted excepting a Bentley and Lexus was last on my bucket list apart from the big beast. Wow, did I leave the best to last? Amazing motor, fuel consumption much less than the three litre diesels, performance to manage any road condition through a terrific transmission setup. The seats are the best ever, Toyota was my previous best so no surprise with the Lexus. Better than any of the Mercs, Jags or BMW's by far.  

• Like 6

IMG_3235.thumb.jpg.5e429bac02149be206e4fa890c73107b.jpg

I obtained this over a 20mi run in the Haute Vienne/Dordogne region of France after filling. If my 2005 E220cdi got this I’d be amazed and I’d have to say I doubt my old 2010 E350cdi would have done better. The 80k limit was to blame for 50mpg as was a very gentle style of driving. The reason the range is so low (it normal goes to 478 when I fill) is it was driven quite hard up from Spain to here the day before.

Just did a 150mile run on a quarter of a tank so the gs250 is a 600mile/tank car. That said it was done at Sunday driver pace on quite worn tyres which always aids the mpg.

8 hours ago, st4 said:

IMG_3235.thumb.jpg.5e429bac02149be206e4fa890c73107b.jpg

I obtained this over a 20mi run in the Haute Vienne/Dordogne region of France after filling. If my 2005 E220cdi got this I’d be amazed and I’d have to say I doubt my old 2010 E350cdi would have done better. The 80k limit was to blame for 50mpg as was a very gentle style of driving. The reason the range is so low (it normal goes to 478 when I fill) is it was driven quite hard up from Spain to here the day before.

Just did a 150mile run on a quarter of a tank so the gs250 is a 600mile/tank car. That said it was done at Sunday driver pace on quite worn tyres which always aids the mpg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stephen this is amazing! 

I see you always have a rev-counter, how did you do it or you take picture in Sport mode? 

Cheers

Vlad

• Like 1

Of course it is! Stupid me! lol! :)

I’m hoping to get a lot more when I get an ES or Camry next. I’m hoping to average 50 and get 70-80mpg :)

I will also share something.

yesterday trip from London to Cardiff. Mostly 70-80 with one 15miles stretch with 50 limit. I was using ECO mode this time and it seems to have a difrence. Cruise control was on for most of time.

ive started measurement after joining M4 from M25 and look what I’ve got after 20 miles of slow 50mph area - my new personal best

A58DFB53-738E-4F8F-B801-A7FFC8793701.jpeg

8FFB09DE-7023-4F3F-8225-B75A6940F6A0.jpeg

• Like 3

60mpg. That’s more than what’s possible from a 250. That hybrid system must work a treat. I’d be very interested in a late gs450h at some stage

On 11/6/2018 at 12:45 PM, st4 said:

60mpg. That’s more than what’s possible from a 250. That hybrid system must work a treat. I’d be very interested in a late gs450h at some stage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

60 mpg is amazing for this, I am starting to look out for a 450h, however my 2012 IS250 has seen upto 50mpg on the motorway. I don’t typically do motorway miles, mainly around town. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dylanlewis2000 said:

60 mpg is amazing for this, I am starting to look out for a 450h, however my 2012 IS250 has seen upto 50mpg on the motorway. I don’t typically do motorway miles, mainly around town. 

We need real brim to brim, on ,a full tank, figures please.

I can get 99.9 in our Yaris!!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

We need real brim to brim, on ,a full tank, figures please.

I can get 99.9 in our Yaris!!

I am working on that, filled a full tank (usually I go for a half tank) and see how many miles I can cover, so far about 320miles and based on OBC I will do about 440miles on a full tank, not much and 100% you can do more but I was nit careful and just drove the car normally, I think 440 miles roughly will equate to 35mpg. Will keep you all updated.

I do not know how people do up to 60mpg on 450h, down the hill? On a short run after OBC was reset? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vlady said:

I am working on that, filled a full tank (usually I go for a half tank) and see how many miles I can cover, so far about 320miles and based on OBC I will do about 440miles on a full tank, not much and 100% you can do more but I was nit careful and just drove the car normally, I think 440 miles roughly will equate to 35mpg. Will keep you all updated.

I do not know how people do up to 60mpg on 450h, down the hill? On a short run after OBC was reset? 

In my experience Vlad, OBC`s are typically between 5 and  8% too generous.

What potential owners want to know is how many miles can one typically travel on one tank of fuel ?

This will embrace all journeys long and short and a range of traffic and weather conditions.

I know that I can typically cover at least 450 miles in my Gen 3 before I need to think about filling up and that is before the Reserve light comes on.

I do not think it wise to let the fuel level drop too low.

Lets see what others think/ and/ or do !

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

I know that I can typically cover at least 450 miles in my Gen 3 before I need to think about filling up and that is before the Reserve light comes on.

I do not think it wise to let the fuel level drop too low.

Lets see what others think/ and/ or do !

On a good run, I’m getting 600+ miles to a tank, although I tend not to play fuel tank bingo these days.   If I’m doing a lot of mixed driving, i get about 540 miles. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Northern_Si said:

On a good run, I’m getting 600+ miles to a tank, although I tend not to play fuel tank bingo these days.   If I’m doing a lot of mixed driving, i get about 540 miles. 

540miles? I have to enjoy less that V6 sound and try concentrate more on economy. My next full tank I will try to be more careful with the gas pedal and see if I can make 500miles mark!

Thanks for sharing everyone, it is good to know that it is doable! 

• Like 1

Ok, I am obviously doing something wrong because my last tank was 31mpg, or about 350 miles before it was mostly empty.

My commute is a mix of town and A roads, but I suspect I just have a heavy right foot.  I'm still not used to having this much performance and I just can't resist the odd blast :smile: 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Shahpor said:

Ok, I am obviously doing something wrong because my last tank was 31mpg, or about 350 miles before it was mostly empty.

My commute is a mix of town and A roads, but I suspect I just have a heavy right foot.  I'm still not used to having this much performance and I just can't resist the odd blast :smile: 

This is my problem as well, enjoying too much and not trying for economy! lol!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Northern_Si said:

Yes Simon, Gen 4 is significantly more economical.