Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Absolute rubbish garage service.

So just put my IS250 into a well known garage chain for MOT and service on pre paid plan.

Regardless of the complete mess they made of the whole process I went into the garage yesterday at 5.30pm to pick the car up to get a text at 5.35pm, whilst sat in the service reception area, to tell me car will not be ready for picking up.

Had a look in the actual working area, found my car, and saw that both rear brake calipers had been left hanging by the brake hose. They will have been left like this overnight.

Didn't have my phone with me to taker pictures and no-one else around to complain to. Not happy.

Will not be accepting my car back until they replace both brake hoses.

This is why I personally am very reluctant to put my car into anywhere if there is any way I could do the job myself, and let's face it these are mechanics we are talking about, not brain surgery! If you have the space/tools/ability then there is a world of knowledge to glean from and after trawling through Google and Utoob for a few hours you prob gonna be very surprised at what is required to achieve these tasks.

So you take your car away and 2 days later you have to apply the brakes harder than you have ever  had to apply them in the past for some emergency reason and one ( if not Both) rear flexible hydraulic hoses lets go at the ferrule and you have major fluid loss and brake failure!

Pick one of the responses below that you think you will get when contacting the garage in question...

A,  "flexible hoses degrade over time and can fail at any time without warning, if you bring it in we can check it for you"

B, "That was probably caused by us as we were the last to work on the system so We can arrange a hire car while we get your recovered and repaired"

I know which one of the above I would put money on!

paul m.

All sounds pretty shocking and incompetent.  Will be interested to hear final outcome.

Somewhat confused as to how you received a text if you didn't have your phone with you though :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bluenose1940 said:

Somewhat confused as to how you received a text if you didn't have your phone with you though

I was thinking the very same thing! :laughing:

2 hours ago, bluenose1940 said:

All sounds pretty shocking and incompetent.  Will be interested to hear final outcome.

Somewhat confused as to how you received a text if you didn't have your phone with you though :rolleyes:

And there was no one around to send it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ala Larj said:

And there was no one around to send it!

It's about a 30 minute drive from home to the garage.  I said I'd be back to pick the car up between 5.30pm and 5.45pm as they close the service desk at 5.45pm.

Left the house at about 4.50pm. 

About a mile from garage get a call but can't answer as not on hands free but knew damn fine it was the garage with bad news.

This call came in at 5.13pm

First text then came through at 5.18pm saying car isn't ready but have a look at the free vehicle health check we've done for you which says nowt.

At 5.30pm as I roll into the garage in my 1.2l Ford Ka the second text comes through and as I get out of the car and walk into the service reception there's no-one there to have a chat about this mess.  However, I can see a guy in the back office who is obviously sending the texts out.  I try and attract his attention but no luck.

By this time I am a wee bit ****** off so go back to the courtesy car and phone my wife and tell her the status.  See that the roller shutter door to workshop area is open and everyone heading for home.  Take a wander in to see if I can find anyone to have chat and see the car on the ramp.  New drivers side rear disk on and brake caliper hanging by the brake pipe.

Tried to stop one of the mechanics who says to have a chat with gaffer...but wait a minute he's gone home.

Go back to courtesy car and head for home.  Time about 6pm.

And don't get me started about when I took the car in at 7.40am that morning....took them 1hr 45 minutes to get it booked in and the courtesy car sorted.  Complete shambles.

It's not exactly rocket science is it.

People make mistakes. And you have a courtesy car...

Should have taken picture so the garage could take action and atleast you have evidence to complain to them. A good workshop head would act on your complaint and someone would get fired. But need evidence.

Not saying I am favoring their side but some patience and good action was lacking on your side. Did it right and these small matter would not bother you and you would get what you expected. Life advise... after learning the hard way recently.

It is.  My son was meant to be taking the Lexus down to London with his girlfriend on Tuesday, then this morning they left in her car.

1l Fiesta versus 2.5l Lexus all the way down from Aberdeen to London, some 450 miles.  Which one would you rather use?

Mmmm i know what you're saying.

Did a similar run from Aberdeen to Bournemouth a few years back. Went to a family wedding at Drumtochty Castle. Very nice it was too.

The journey in the Lexus was fab......so very comfortable. And at that stage I had a 220d!! It was fab on long runs.

4 hours ago, normski2 said:

Mmmm i know what you're saying.

Did a similar run from Aberdeen to Bournemouth a few years back. Went to a family wedding at Drumtochty Castle. Very nice it was too.

The journey in the Lexus was fab......so very comfortable. And at that stage I had a 220d!! It was fab on long runs.

I never knew that Drumtochty Castle was in Bournemouth Norm. When did it move ?     {:):):) 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jackcramerr said:

Just use and abuse the courtesy car. Gather the miles on it. I would not complain.

ABUSE ? Very disrespectful jack and undoubtedly in contravention of the terms of provision of the Courtesy vehicle.

Perhaps "make best use of" might be more appropriate?    LOL :):):)

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

ABUSE ? Very disrespectful Jack and undoubtedly in contravention of the terms of provision of the Courtesy vehicle.

Perhaps "make best use of" might be more appropriate?    LOL :):):)

Is the courtesy car had been half decent then I would have enjoyed it more but a 1l Ford Ka just does not hack it....my wife's sewing machine makes a better sound and is probably more powerful.  And the Ka was just flimsy and tinny and was reporting 36mpg around town.....the IS250 gives me 30mpg around town.  Value of Ka...£13250!!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jackcramerr said:

Is it auto or manual? And does it have a handbrake?

It was manual.  1l engine.  Sounded exactly like a sewing machine.  My daughters 2008 Fiat Grande Punto 1.2 sounds better, gets same mpg, pulls harder and has more room inside and it cost me £2k about 4 years ago.  Mainstream cars have not really progressed that much have they.