Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone going to Le Mans this year?

Well, as above really. Alas, I can’t make it - I’d need to take a week’s worth of leave from work and that wouldn’t please MrsFunex. Not at all. 

I’ll just have to watch a live stream and get the timing data from the WEC website instead.. it won’t be quite the same! 

Plenty of great memories - the ones of the racers arriving at Indianapolis out of the forest at 2am with brakes aglow, and the Corvette C7.Rs splitting the air apart along the Mulsanne straight in the early-morning mist will stay with me always! 

CB3C1C12-1B76-4724-AA6C-ED11BC470813.jpeg

6FE105C6-12C5-4366-AA91-ACCFBE23D5B5.jpeg

9D891D2B-85B8-4EF4-965E-51B97EE2C314.jpeg

• Like 4

Sadly not. It’s been on my list for a while now but has always clashed with other priorities. I’ll also be watching it on tv as usual but I’m planning to make it over there next year with a few mates. 

Everyone I’ve spoken to who has has been before has always said how awesome it is. 

• Like 1

I'm going to the Le mans classic at the beginning of July. It's only on every two years. Bit more relaxed than full le mans event. Saw a blue rcf British reg in  Arnage 2016.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Mark G said:

Never been, its on the bucket list though, need to get my arse in gear and start ticking a few more off the list.

^ same here.

I'll have to step up 'negotiations' with the boss lady.

My dad and I choose an overseas motorsport event every year...last year was Le Mans, this year Spa Classic, next year N24 I think, maybe the TT...but if there is a cohort from here planning on a trip to Le Mans I'm sure we could be persuaded it is unbelievably good fun...we went with Travel Destinations who have the campsite at Porsche Curves and are brilliant

Just come back from Monaco classic. Very much recommend that when it comes back around in 2 years.
LeMans was awesome when I went years ago. I never camped though, so would like to do that at some point.

• Like 1

Been three times with the Porsche club and loved it. Definitely go if you get the chance!

As others have said, it can be full on, rowdy and  chavtastic depending on where you stay.

Memories for me:

1. Grandstand at 3am and the noise the Corvettes made

2. Watching the Audis and other LMP1 cars literally stick to the road as they travelled through the Porsche curves

3. Black Friday. Simply mad!!!

4. Driving the road parts of the circuit

I've been to Le Mans 8 times over the past 10 years, always camped which is ok as long as the weather is on your side, has a few wash out years which although still good fun the mud gets on your nerves after a while, especially on the cheaper campsites like Beausejour, Houx is the site of choice now. Best memories for me was seeing/hearing the 1991 winning Mazda 787B screaming round before the race, what a car! and briefly meeting Nigel Mansell after the drivers parade and wishing him luck (he then crashed in the first few minutes). 

Decided to have a few years off now as it was starting to feel a bit repetitive and instead do some road trips, has a cracking 5 days touring Scotland last year and am planning a route around Ireland for this year at the moment.

• Like 3

There's group c cars at the classic this year and Jenson Button is driving one. I personally like the early seventies stuff like lolas and chevron. I've camped most recently with travel destinations at the Porsche curves.

Not this year, but been a few times myself over the years. Early days we camped at Porsche curves through Travel Destinations like others on here (spooky thinking we may well have been there at the same time, but didn’t know!).

Highlights for me would be the brutal sounds of the Corvette’s and Aston Martin’s, plus meeting Johnny Herbert and doing a short video with him that went out on Eurosport! 

We did a shocking homage to ‘you’ve lost that loving feeling’ and had some beers and bbq with him. Top fella. 😎

Off again this year (12th year running) and always look forward to the shenanigans, especially camping at Beausejour which is like being in Beirut on a bad day!

It seems every year is different and last year especially and you could not have predicted the outcome with cars dropping out due to excessive ambient and track temperatures which resulted in LMP2 cars on the podium, which very rarely happens.

Big changes this year with the new line-up in LMP1 and new cars in GTE classes as well.

I am more than happy to post up some piccies on the site if anyone would like to see them?

• Like 2