Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New RX 400h owner saying hello!

3 hours ago, welland said:

I had an smax before my rx400 and I like the rx much more.  True, the smax had some nice features,  but it really felt too big, width in particular.   We found it difficult to judge the kerb position when parallel parking.  

This one's covered in cameras, sensors, radar, the lot. It's a nice drive for a family wagon.

3 hours ago, welland said:

What did you decide to do about tyres?

Left them on. Ended up with a Saab 9000 with all seasons on so the problem sort of went away. And we haven't had any truly terrible weather up here yet.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Really pleased to be buying this lovely RX and staying in the Lexus fold! I joked with Richard that my Dad always told me "never buy the first car you see"... and guess what I did? 😮

I'll be swapping over from a mk4 LS400. My heart tells me to keep the LS, which has served us so well. But with a second LS (as spares/security) and a weekend car, with a silly project car tucked away in a lock-up ... so I'm not sure how I'll shuffle them all.

(Also to add: Richard is a great chap, too.)

• Like 1

🙂

As a tangent on the whole 4WD/SUV thing, as I was musing about the RX on the drive home, the LS was almost blown off course by the bow-wave of a Rolls Royce Cullinan tanking past at a huge rate of knots (it's that same "J55 8OND" plate on another even posher car).

First time I'd seen one - what a monster. Looks hugely imposing from front and sides, but with a comically understated back-end.

On 3/11/2019 at 9:25 PM, goldtop said:

🙂

As a tangent on the whole 4WD/SUV thing, as I was musing about the RX on the drive home, the LS was almost blown off course by the bow-wave of a Rolls Royce Cullinan tanking past at a huge rate of knots (it's that same "J55 8OND" plate on another even posher car).

First time I'd seen one - what a monster. Looks hugely imposing from front and sides, but with a comically understated back-end.

My neighbour has JA5 8OND (his name is Jason Bond of course) on his RR, had it on his Bentley GT and Audi R8 droppy before that.......but apart from that he is a really nice bloke 😂

Damn sure he’d never get a Cullinan down our lane 😫

44 minutes ago, Boxbrownie said:

My neighbour has JA5 8OND (his name is Jason Bond of course) on his RR, had it on his Bentley GT and Audi R8 droppy before that

That's weird - should be a Land Rover:

ja58ond.thumb.png.d65bdc7e3ad5764087865eb2deb1566d.png

1 hour ago, Boxbrownie said:

It is......a Range Rover........

Doh!! Having read that he had a Bentley in the past, I took RR to be Rolls Royce  :wallbash:

On 3/13/2019 at 2:23 PM, rich1068 said:

Have had the wheels refurb'd for the new owner.

They look superb.

dCjzFi7h.jpg

These look really good, as someone who doesn't know much about cars how do i go about getting this done and how much would i be looking at?  All of the wheels  on my 400h are bubbling a bit and look a bit tatty, and the one which was originally the spare and stayed under the car for 9 years looks terrible. 

16 hours ago, Boxbrownie said:

You know what, looking around at 400h models.....and the 350 I favour I wish I had gone for Rich’s now 😱

oh well........it was early days

:wink:

1 hour ago, dhowarth74 said:

These look really good, as someone who doesn't know much about cars how do i go about getting this done and how much would i be looking at?  All of the wheels  on my 400h are bubbling a bit and look a bit tatty, and the one which was originally the spare and stayed under the car for 9 years looks terrible.

Not sure where in Yorkshire you are but I'm in Sheffield and use a firm a few hundred yards away from my office in S3.

For a proper job you need the wheels off the car, tyres off the wheels. Have a look here. I dropped the car off Monday and got it back Wednesday. Around £50 per wheel.

26 minutes ago, rich1068 said:

:wink:

Not sure where in Yorkshire you are but I'm in Sheffield and use a firm a few hundred yards away from my office in S3.

For a proper job you need the wheels off the car, tyres off the wheels. Have a look here. I dropped the car off Monday and got it back Wednesday. Around £50 per wheel.

I am in Halifax so Sheffield might be  a bit far, but could do it at a push.  What is the treatment called?  I seem to remember looking a while back and seeing something about the Lexus wheels being coated which made it a bit unusual.  But i might have misinterpreted that.

The process is powder coating. Have a look here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powder_coating and the link above. That's the firm I use. They can either keep hold of the car or you can just drop the wheels off. The advantage of them having the car is they do all the lifting with the tyres and even rebalance them before putting them back on the vehicle.