Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Putting H & R Lowering Spring Kit on stock Shocks.

Dat Guy

Hey guys,

Hoping someone can give me answer for this.  So I bought H & R Lowering spring kit from amazonClick here . I went to my mechanic to change them and he said shocks (stock) will get damage if I put these. I'm wondering, is it ok to put H & R spring on stock shocks? or Do I have to buy different set of shocks for H & R?  Currently got 2007 Lexus IS 220D with 154,000 miles( owned this car for 7 years). Last week, I bought 18 inch alloy wheels, which made my Lexus taller and there is big gap between tire and the body. when I do over 80mph, I have to put some effort to control the car. Can any pundit here light me up on this matter.😁

Thank you so much guys

Madu

Cannot advice on shocks, but I had changed to 18inch wheels myself and first impression was same - the car looks taller and kind of needs lowering. Difference is just visual - between 17 and 18 inch rears is 7mm, so they raise your car 3.5mm. That is very unlikely to have any side-effect on handling or noticeable difference height. However, I understand you point very well, because it looks much taller visually.

What the mechanic says is true to an extent as lowering springs are said to shorten the life of normal shocks. Ideally they should be paired with an upgraded "sports" shock like those from Bilstein or Koni. I have reason to believe this is true as one of my previous cars was an IS200 that I lowered with Eibach springs. I also fitted brand new shocks at the same time, but only OEM-spec KYBs. They were fine for 3+ years during my ownership, but the new owner (a friend of mine) informed me that they had failed an MOT about a year later because they were leaking.

So, it's a bit of a roll of the dice fitting them with standard dampers, even new ones. You would be very unlucky if your shocks failed very quickly with the H&R springs fitted, but given the mileage that's already on them, that's definitely a possibility. On the other hand, they could be fine for 1000's more miles.

Going from 17" to 18" wheels will give the illusion of a wider tyre/arch gaps but so long as the correct profile tyres are fitted to give the same rolling circumference, it will be just that, an illusion but one I had to 'correct' on my Merc.

Fitting lowered springs to standard shocks is not the best practice. The operating range will be 'wrong' and more importantly the compression and rebound characteristics of the shocks will be wrong for the springs.This can upset the handling. I'd recommend fitting matching shocks, from the spring supplier.

I had h&r springs and i cannot see any problems. I have also polyurethane suspension parts so i decide to back to factory springs. In poland we don't have roads.

33020259_1782497315149730_51891234935385

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links