Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS300h faint whistle under acceleration

Hi all,

My 2014 IS300h f-sport seems to have a very faint whistle when under acceleration. I cant hear it if the windows are up its that faint. The noise goes immediately when I take my foot off the gas. doesnt appear to be a major issue as the car drives brilliantly. I have worn brakes and im getting them replaced next week but i ruled them out as the culprit as this only occurs under acceleration.....and only at low speeds.

anyone heard this before?

thanks all

Two possibilities, intake manifold air leak or it's just the electric motors spinning up.

My RC300h also has a slight whine/whistle under acceleration, only audible with the widows down and driving between high walls

If all else is fine I'd go with the latter

i think it could just be the motor spinning up. i rarely drive with the window down or not playing music. so its possible its always been there. since my brakes have started sqeaking ive been listening out more for any other noises, somewhat compulsively. i guess its just that i love this car so much i want it to remain perfect.

• Like 1

does it sound like a faint turbo whistle by any chance ???

last year a few members noticed this when the weather

became warmer so i wouldn't worry about it, as you say

the car drives perfectly with no dash lights coming on.

to be honest it does sound like a faint turbo spooling up. but as there is no turbo i couldnt say what it is. but yes, no dash lights so ill just turn the radio up 🙂 my ears are just very sensitive to any odd noises at the minute.

4 minutes ago, 200h said:

i havent noticed it on my 17 plate Is300h but i did hear it on my 63 plate IS

i liked the faint whistle.

yeah my 13 plate also did it. Not sure if it is the inverter or electric motor but it is a bit like a low pressure turbo noise.

This one came up many months, perhaps years, ago.  I have the same faint whistle/whine when accelerating but only noticeable with the driver window open on high hedged single track country roads.  Sounds turbo-ish but the car doesn't have one !.  Consensus at the time was that it is not a problem.  If I remember correctly it was attributed to the electric motor.  

seeing as its not an issue as such, I will learn to love the whistle 🙂 thanks.

On 5/25/2018 at 3:10 PM, J Henderson said:

10 hours ago, Jayw13702 said:

my '63 plate has the same whistle, as others have said its quite nice, and knowing that it isn't an issue is reassuring 

I have just started to notice this too after a service. Sounds like a turbo. I thought perhaps that had put a new engine in but alas it doesn't go any quicker.

I have also developed (well not me but the car) a slight squeak from the wheels when driving slowly in traffic jams ( most of the time then). This started after the service and new tyres.

I'll have to turn the volume up. [emoji450][emoji442]

33 minutes ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

I have just started to notice this too after a service. Sounds like a turbo. I thought perhaps that had put a new engine in but alas it doesn't go any quicker.

I have also developed (well not me but the car) a slight squeak from the wheels when driving slowly in traffic jams ( most of the time then). This started after the service and new tyres.

I'll have to turn the volume up. emoji450.pngemoji442.png

i also had the low speed squeak as well but not now.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll have to turn the volume up. [emoji450][emoji442]

I currently have the brake pad rattle [emoji35][emoji35]

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links