Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS430 air suspension stuck at max height

Chris CPT

Hi guys.

I've just bought a 2001 LS430 with the Premium Package. It's a lovely car, with the only issue being that the car is sat at its maximum suspension level. When I press the height button to 'high', there's a fairly loud gurgling-type noise coming from the front right (I'm assuming this is the compressor), but the car doesn't raise any higher and it also doesn't want to lower back to the normal setting either. The guy I bought it off said he replaced the Battery not long ago, so maybe it's got confused and simply needs resetting? Any ideas or tips?

Thanks in advance, 

Chris.

There are several posts on this forum about the ride height and likely causes.

If like me however, the car was running while in the air for maintenance then it may reset itself alternating the switch between high/low and another Battery disconnect for a short while.

It is however more likely that the compressor seals or one or more of the level sensors is broken.

On 5/27/2018 at 11:02 AM, DaKa said:

There are several posts on this forum about the ride height and likely causes.

If like me however, the car was running while in the air for maintenance then it may reset itself alternating the switch between high/low and another battery disconnect for a short while.

It is however more likely that the compressor seals or one or more of the level sensors is broken.

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I've had a look through the forum but couldn't find an answer for why it would be sat high. If one of the compressor seals had failed, surely it would be sat low? I'll take a look at the level sensors. Whereabouts are they on the suspension?

Thanks,

The ride height sensors are prone to water ingress - when this happens they short circuit and malfunction - this is what appears to have happened here - I havent come across a fix for this apart from replacing them at the main dealers.

It does sound like height sensor trouble, although as mentioned running the engine while raised on a jack or hoist can affect it, although not permanently.  Sensors unfortunately are around £350 each and you have four.

On 5/27/2018 at 12:39 AM, NemesisUK said:

Level sensor issue? Do these cars have a lever attached to the suspension strut or roll bar to determine the ride height? 

Yes they do and are prone to breaking which would also cause a height problem, much cheaper to repair if so.