Recommended Posts

I was wondering what may happen to used value of the GS once production ceases of the GS for the UK. Do members think it may increase due to lack of supply against demand or do you think they will drop due to it being an unwanted obsolete vehicle?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

What will happen Alan is that prices MAY rise or prices May fall. Is demand elastic or inelastic ?

In the words of the Economist  (JMK)...."in the long run, we are all dead"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would probably drop I imagine for being obsolete. 

Either way, I doubt it makes a huge difference in the grand scheme of things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well my car had its first MOT today (3 weeks early while under warranty). and I was considering trading it for a used RX450h as an impending baby granddaughter will require child seat manoeuvres etc.

My car has 36000 miles on it so is at this moment average mileage and the condition was commented on as being excellent by the dealer.

I can now assure you that the term 'Falling Stone' seems to apply to the value of a GS at this time. You could probably make more money on it by breaking it for spares to be honest. My IS300h that I traded last year was surprisingly worth more .

Having been so shocked I looked at a RX450H I had seen online in the Midlands and made a serious enquiry. The offer they came back with was even less. That dealer suggested that the demise of the GS was the cause of the low trade value.

Put it this way i'm sure that a few people on here would be happy to pay £15,500 for a 15 plate GS luxury with ML .......

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the laws of supply and demand im afraid. no demand means low price....

such a shame, seems the GS was never understood, a very underrated car in my opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 6/6/2018 at 8:01 PM, olliesgrandad said:

Well my car had its first MOT today (3 weeks early while under warranty). and I was considering trading it for a used RX450h as an impending baby granddaughter will require child seat manoeuvres etc.

My car has 36000 miles on it so is at this moment average mileage and the condition was commented on as being excellent by the dealer.

I can now assure you that the term 'Falling Stone' seems to apply to the value of a GS at this time. You could probably make more money on it by breaking it for spares to be honest. My IS300h that I traded last year was surprisingly worth more .

Having been so shocked I looked at a RX450H I had seen online in the Midlands and made a serious enquiry. The offer they came back with was even less. That dealer suggested that the demise of the GS was the cause of the low trade value.

Put it this way i'm sure that a few people on here would be happy to pay £15,500 for a 15 plate GS luxury with ML .......

 

£15,500 trade in or what they would advertise at? 

Trade in at that price is fairly decent because the cheapest 15 plate GS300h has 33k on it and its £19k. So with the £3-4k profit for the dealer, I would imagine they would put it up for £18500-19k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rayaans said:

£15,500 trade in or what they would advertise at? 

Trade in at that price is fairly decent because the cheapest 15 plate GS300h has 33k on it and its £19k. So with the £3-4k profit for the dealer, I would imagine they would put it up for £18500-19k

Interestingly a so called accurate parkers private sale figure comes out at around £16500 and a trade in figure of between £18500-19k. 

I have traded in my cars every 9 to 10 months over the past 10 years and never had such a big drop on a used car. Admittedly I normally would barter to get a good price to change but I didn't see my usual salesman as he was on holiday and the young man  I saw was more interested in selling extras than the ca r. To be honest I couldn't be bothered with the hard sell so left. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so a nice 2015 GS450H will be a bargain any time soon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, olliesgrandad said:

Interestingly a so called accurate parkers private sale figure comes out at around £16500 and a trade in figure of between £18500-19k. 

I have traded in my cars every 9 to 10 months over the past 10 years and never had such a big drop on a used car. Admittedly I normally would barter to get a good price to change but I didn't see my usual salesman as he was on holiday and the young man  I saw was more interested in selling extras than the ca r. To be honest I couldn't be bothered with the hard sell so left. 

Don't think I would use Parker's. The industry certainly doesn't and will laugh off any Parker's valuation as they're utterly unrealistic most of the time. CAP( now HPI) and Glass are the only legitimate ones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at any theoretical trade-in figures always seems to be a waste of time to me, irrespective of their source. The cost to change, for a specific model at a specific dealer, is the only thing that matters. Just look at the prices dealers advertise at - there can be £3-4k difference in the sticker price for identical cars, which gives a lot of leeway for what they will offer on a trade-in. Until you sit down and thrash out a deal on a specific vehicle (or get cash in your hand from a private sale), any other numbers are probably meaningless.

Regarding the original question, I imagine that used prices for most saloons are going to slump because 'everyone' wants SUVs or crossovers. Hybrids seem to have seen a boost in resale values since dieselgate which will have slowed the decline for the GS, but it's an increasingly unpopular body style from a niche manufacturer so it's hardly a safe bet for retaining value. 

Still, I'd rather be trying to chop in a hybrid GS than a dirty diesel A6, E-class or 5-series. I can't imagine they'll be easy to move on, in the future.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Ten Ninety said:

Looking at any theoretical trade-in figures always seems to be a waste of time to me, irrespective of their source. The cost to change, for a specific model at a specific dealer, is the only thing that matters. Just look at the prices dealers advertise at - there can be £3-4k difference in the sticker price for identical cars, which gives a lot of leeway for what they will offer on a trade-in. Until you sit down and thrash out a deal on a specific vehicle (or get cash in your hand from a private sale), any other numbers are probably meaningless.

Regarding the original question, I imagine that used prices for most saloons are going to slump because 'everyone' wants SUVs or crossovers. Hybrids seem to have seen a boost in resale values since dieselgate which will have slowed the decline for the GS, but it's an increasingly unpopular body style from a niche manufacturer so it's hardly a safe bet for retaining value. 

Still, I'd rather be trying to chop in a hybrid GS than a dirty diesel A6, E-class or 5-series. I can't imagine they'll be easy to move on, in the future.

Cost to change is all that matters, yes. 

But, if they are going to give you £1-2k below trade in book price, you can sure as hell know that they aren't going to do you any favours on their car. Its just how it works. Usually a dealer will give you a better than book price for the car and less off their car if they know what they're doing as it makes the customer feel as if they have got more for their vehicle. 

I reckon we'll also see the demise of the RC - its sales are rubbish as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, rayaans said:

Cost to change is all that matters, yes. 

But, if they are going to give you £1-2k below trade in book price, you can sure as hell know that they aren't going to do you any favours on their car. Its just how it works. Usually a dealer will give you a better than book price for the car and less off their car if they know what they're doing as it makes the customer feel as if they have got more for their vehicle. 

I reckon we'll also see the demise of the RC - its sales are rubbish as well.

Well i know rayaans has had experience with Lexus Cheltenham, so knows how they usually work.

i have done my sums and am now looking for the right RX ..................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, olliesgrandad said:

Well i know rayaans has had experience with Lexus Cheltenham, so knows how they usually work.

i have done my sums and am now looking for the right RX ..................

What are you looking for in the RX trim wise etc?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just bought a 2015 Advance in silver with panoramic roof and cream leather interior from Lexus Derby.

Made a phone call enquiry and got details of the car's history. No faffing about -salesman didn't give me any guff, asked me what I was looking for in the deal and came back with a no nonsense figure which met my expectation. Deal done.

 

xxl_kfz494473_fn15wlh-1[2].jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2018 at 4:38 PM, rayaans said:

£15,500 trade in or what they would advertise at? 

Trade in at that price is fairly decent because the cheapest 15 plate GS300h has 33k on it and its £19k. So with the £3-4k profit for the dealer, I would imagine they would put it up for £18500-19k

I see my old GS is advertised today for £20,902. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now