Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rain-X

Anyone used this on their windscreen or windows - wife has bought it to use on the conservatory and it does work and it states its for car windscreens but not convinced...

I use it to clean the windscreen and also put in the washer bottle. It does make the rain bead and slide off far quicker so that you do not need to put wipers on.  It does keep the dirt at bay as well. 

Yep, I coat the windscreen on both our cars. Have done for years. Wipe on thoroughly and then buff after 10 mins or so. Works a treat.

I find it a good product.

I've no experience of Rain-X (apart from getting high on it when I applied it to inside of a persistently steaming-up car), but this has worked very well for me in the past:

https://gtechniq.com/products/auto/perfect/exterior/paint/g5-water-repellent-coating-for-glass-and-perspex

I have driven (in my sadly sold IS300) in some atrocious weather with this applied and no wipers were necessary. Needs redoing very four months or so. Oddly, it means when rain is light under street-lights you need the wipers more...

Haven't tried the standalone Rain-X product, but I did buy a bottle of their 2-in-1 Rain-X/Glass Cleaner when it was going cheap in Asda. It doesn't last anywhere near as long as a proper glass sealant does, or clean glass as well as my products of choice for that job so only OK at best. I only use it on my work vehicle now as it's better than nothing.

It was widely used in the aviation industry. My father was using it back in the 1970's on cockpit windscreens on good old BAC1-11 aircraft!

Wouldn't surprise me if its still used today.

2 hours ago, J Henderson said:

Haven't tried the standalone Rain-X product, but I did buy a bottle of their 2-in-1 Rain-X/Glass Cleaner when it was going cheap in Asda. It doesn't last anywhere near as long as a proper glass sealant does, or clean glass as well as my products of choice for that job so only OK at best. I only use it on my work vehicle now as it's better than nothing.

I don't know of any 2-in-1 products that are as good as each individual product. Give the proper Rain-X a try and you'll see a big difference.

For glass cleaning I use Dodo Juice Clearly Menthol. Just used it this very morning because my screen was full of bug squashes and rain is due later so wanted it clean before then. Couple of squirts, a wipe, and all clear - brilliant stuff. And that's on a windscreen that's not been treated with Rain-X yet (ran out and forgot to get more).

4 minutes ago, rich1068 said:

I think I might treat myself. Glyn's saying four months. How long do you get out of it?

Glyn's talking about a different product to Rain-X but to be honest, I don't really know as I've never taken much notice of time passing. I just reapply the Rain-X when it becomes obvious that it's not working as well as it should.

The 2-in-1 rain X is OK if you get it on sale - think its about £2 in Asda sometimes. Works reasonably well but won't shoot beads off, will just make it easier to see. 

Standalone RainX is good for the price - ECP for less than £5 in their sales. 2 coats applied with a kitchen role and wiped off with a damp MF works best.

Seems to last an age on side and rear windows, not so long on windscreen but its good for 1-2 months.

About same experience as above, works reasonably well, but won't last on windshield. It seems wipers just cleans it off. So good for side windows, but only lasts week or 2 on windshield (depending on how often you use wipers).

I used to use it years ago when I was doing circa 30k miles per year, worked a treat, seemed to last quite a few weeks, so several thousand miles in my case.

Thought it worked really well, no need to use wipers unless travelling really slow.  One added bonus is that is seems to prevent the windscreen from freezing too.

Vince

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links