Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

CD Slot Phone Mounting.. Anyone Managed it Successfully?

Hi everyone, as the title suggests, 

I've got fed up with mounting my phone on the windscreen and the vents on my new Mk 4 GS 450h (62 plate) seem too floppy to be able to mount a vent holder as the phone just drags the vents down and I don like that. Decided to go for a CD slot mount one as the GS lends itself very well to that as nothing is in the way, you can see things reasonably well still and get to the buttons.. It also means the cable I need for charging is much shorter as it comes from the center armrest.

However..

The shape of the CD slot makes it almost impossible to get a normal CD mount phone holder and use it, as there is kind of a finger cut out in the middle and that's where the lifter goes on all these mounts which don't work as they are basically pushing up into a gap. Most annoying. I've managed to get half a solution with the following mount

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Infernal-Innovations®-Magnetic-Universal-Samsung/dp/B0177KHDA0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1527672462&sr=8-4&keywords=infernal+innovations+magnetic+phone+mount

By turning it upside down and the two bottom arms go either side of the finger hole and as that insn't in the bottom the bottom is help by what was the top arm (hope that makes sense) That leads to the issue of the magnetic head being upside down and so you cant angle the head up enough to point directly at you as it technically down. It holds reasonably well with my S9 plus attached but is a little wobbly and doesn't really look aesthetically pleasing with the bottom on the top.

What I want to know is if anyone has successfully done this? and what mount did you use? or how did you alter one to work, I've been looking at ways to span the hole with an extended top bracket arm without success so far.

Would be interested to know peoples thoughts or experiences.

Thanks.

As is the way with forums I can't help with the CD slot mount but I do have another cheap and cheerful suggestion. Ever tried one of these? My wife and I have had them in I don't know how many cars previously and they work very well if you can find somewhere you're happy to put the magnet.

Ummmm, I think most of the CD slot phone mounts are intended for single CD players? If your GS has the typical Lexus in dash 6 CD changer I wonder if the inner workings might get confused (or worse, damaged) with an immovable dummy disc being there?

I'm using a long arm suction mount phone holder in my IS250 and other than periodically needing to be released and pushed back on the screen it's been fine. it's actually a cheapy sticky gel one from Tesco petrol station with a phone case permanently attached to the gel so my phone (Samsung S7 Edge) can just clip in and out. I'll try and remember to take a pic of my setup at lunchtime.

Andrew

Thanks guys,

The CD mounts of today dont go all the way in and I have removed all CD's just in case of accident.. I'll post a pic of mine too, just so you can all see what I mean later when I'm home.

As is the way you have to post when you think of these things... or you forget :)

As for your suggestions sorcerer - This is for single disc CD slots as do most of them seem to be, the bigger opening multi ones seem to not really be catered for.

Rich 1068 - Thanks for the link, hadnt thought of that but I have an S9 plus and many people have complained that the magnets are not strong enough for larger phones.

Here you go, the the mount is one of these, but bought from Tesco petrol station when they were having a promotion. The gel stuff sticks well enough but every so often you have to take the holder off and wash the gel pad to restore full stickyness, I've got a spare phone case stuck to the gel instead so it just clips in and out. Being quite a long arm means it sits low, doesn't intrude too much on the view and I can still reach the phone (for navigation).

I also got one of these magnetic connectors to save beating the heck out of the micro USB socket on the phone which works brilliantly.

Andrew

20180530_125156.jpg

20180530_125142.jpg

On 5/30/2018 at 11:08 AM, claytow said:

Thanks guys,

The CD mounts of today dont go all the way in and I have removed all CD's just in case of accident.. I'll post a pic of mine too, just so you can all see what I mean later when I'm home.

As is the way you have to post when you think of these things... or you forget :)

As for your suggestions sorcerer - This is for single disc CD slots as do most of them seem to be, the bigger opening multi ones seem to not really be catered for.

Rich 1068 - Thanks for the link, hadnt thought of that but I have an S9 plus and many people have complained that the magnets are not strong enough for larger phones.

This any good Paul ?

https://www.brodit.co.uk/brodit/vehicles/Lexus/GS+Series/2006/633619.htm

I have a brodit on my 450h and have had one on my previous 2 cars. I think they are excellent. You can buy the vehicle specific bracket and mount a cheaper holder to it although I have always had the phone specific holder. I have just changed phone and currently have a temporary holder.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've gone for a phone desktop holder held down with double-sided sticky foam pad, £3.25p shipped UK eBay, also chargers the phone with the wire hidden under the trim & plugged into arm rest socket.

IMG-20180612-WA0001.jpg