Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi everyone, car just passed MOT. All good except front pads are running low. I’ve seen brembo ones for £48 in ECP with 50% off. Also the genuine Lexus/toyota ones are £58 from Lexus Birmingham. What’s the best out of the 2. Thanks everyone.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Pretty much the same, both are soft, wears quicker and you get a lot of dust. If anything brembo seems to be little softer then OE, but not by much - so expect slightly more dust and few less miles. As for braking, both are fine, brake feeling is fine. brembo comes with Integrated anti-sequel shims, but it is rubbish and pads still squeals, OE ones have no shim at all and you would need to reuse existing ones or buy shims kit separately. 

Pretty much the same, both are soft, wears quicker and you get a lot of dust. If anything Brembo seems to be little softer then OE, but not by much - so expect slightly more dust and few less miles. As for braking, both are fine, brake feeling is fine. Brembo comes with Integrated anti-sequel shims, but it is rubbish and pads still squeals, OE ones have no shim at all and you would need to reuse existing ones or buy shims kit separately. 

Thanks Linas. So these two are about the same quality . I might as well go for the brembo whilst there on offer. Or what about pagid. Thanks again.

I've just fitted Pagid pads all round as well as replacing all 4 Discs (mintex). 

Found them to be just fine. My originals were 'Toyota' stamped and the fronts were very dusty (they do the lions share of the work).

These Pagids, thus far, are distinctly less brake dusty. Front wheels are staying cleaner longer.

I haven't tried Pagid personally on IS250. I would not say either Toyota or brembo are bad, it is just that brakes on IS250 are generally under-sized which results in excessive wear on pads and disks. The only real solution is to upgrade brakes all together, but for most that is simply not financially viable. 

You can even get Toyota "low dust" pads, which will reduce the dust. However, neither wear on the pads, nor dust is an indicator of quality. You can get very hard pads and they will sequel more and eat into the disks more. It is sort of trade off - you can have more dust, but better pedal feeling (more progressive braking) and more wear on the pads, or you can have harder pads, less dust, less wear on the pad, more catching/squeal and more wear on the disks. Obviously it would be ideal to have best of both words or at least to find golden middle between wear, dust etc. 

From my experience both brembo and OE are on the soft side. As well I had Mintex pads in the past, which were harder and made noticeably less dust, but I would not call them better.

My Pagid pads do not squeal at all and never have done. Neither did my previous pads.

I'm not suggesting the dust is a quality issue ... its just messy and irritatingly dirty on nice wheels.

I'm guessing any pad has the potential to squeal if attention is not given to the number of shims and a smear of copper grease.

I haven't tried Pagid personally on IS250. I would not say either Toyota or Brembo are bad, it is just that brakes on IS250 are generally under-sized which results in excessive wear on pads and disks. The only real solution is to upgrade brakes all together, but for most that is simply not financially viable. 
You can even get Toyota "low dust" pads, which will reduce the dust. However, neither wear on the pads, nor dust is an indicator of quality. You can get very hard pads and they will sequel more and eat into the disks more. It is sort of trade off - you can have more dust, but better pedal feeling (more progressive braking) and more wear on the pads, or you can have harder pads, less dust, less wear on the pad, more catching/squeal and more wear on the disks. Obviously it would be ideal to have best of both words or at least to find golden middle between wear, dust etc. 
From my experience both Brembo and OE are on the soft side. As well I had Mintex pads in the past, which were harder and made noticeably less dust, but I would not call them better.

Thanks for your help, I think I’ll go with the brembo. [emoji1303]

My Pagid pads do not squeal at all and never have done. Neither did my previous pads.
I'm not suggesting the dust is a quality issue ... its just messy and irritatingly dirty on nice wheels.
I'm guessing any pad has the potential to squeal if attention is not given to the number of shims and a smear of copper grease.

I’ll make sure the new ones are greased up properly when my mate fits them. Where can I get copper grease from. Thanks

Ebay is good for that. Typically, types as shown below
Plenty of reliable sellers on there. £6 or so delivered 500gram tin...last ages.
If you have not got any get some Red Rubber Grease too... for the caliper slide pins.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GRANVILLE-0149-Copper-Grease-Slip-Multi-Purpose-Anti-Seize-Assembly-Compound-500/362134613405?epid=2076442921&hash=item5450e7ad9d:g:TiMAAOSwzppZ5n9A
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REVOL-RED-RUBBER-GREASE-500g-BRAKE-CALIPER-REBUILDS-NEW-PRODUCT/391694432796?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Thanks normski. Appreciated mate. [emoji1303]

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all:driving:

Don't like to throw a spanner in the works but i have had brembo pads and discs before and never again.😂

Let me explain on my previous X-TYPE i decided to buy brembo discs and pads rather than buy genuine Jaguar parts now iam careful with discs/pads i bed them in carefully which i did for these and i never got to 10000miles when car was in for service and was shown the discs had cracks on them and were deamed scrap pads had hardly been used and discs look like new but were all cracked so they went in the bin and genuine ones were fitted so i will not buy brembo pads or discs again.😟

Just my thoughts.😟

65mike.:driving:

Hi all:driving:
Don't like to throw a spanner in the works but i have had Brembo pads and discs before and never again.[emoji23]
Let me explain on my previous X-TYPE i decided to buy Brembo discs and pads rather than buy genuine Jaguar parts now iam careful with discs/pads i bed them in carefully which i did for these and i never got to 10000miles when car was in for service and was shown the discs had cracks on them and were deamed scrap pads had hardly been used and discs look like new but were all cracked so they went in the bin and genuine ones were fitted so i will not buy Brembo pads or discs again.[emoji45]
Just my thoughts.[emoji45]
65mike.:driving:
Best tell all the teams running them in motorsport too. And that some lexus genuine is..........brembo.

Will you have another x-type?

Do you think your sample size of.....one..... Is conclusive?

I have many reasons to dislike brembo, poor supply speed, lack of spares... But generally there isn't a quality issue. There are however lots and lots of fake brembo products out there. eBay and amazon are a frauds paradise.

In fact there was recently a half million haul of fake skf bearings too. They will fake anything.

Cheap? Great deal? Check twice.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, Comedian said:

Best tell all the teams running them in motorsport too. And that some lexus genuine is..........brembo.

I have many reasons to dislike Brembo, poor supply speed, lack of spares... But generally there isn't a quality issue. There are however lots and lots of fake Brembo products out there. Ebay and amazon are a frauds paradise.

In fact there was recently a half million haul of fake skf bearings too. They will fake anything.

Hi all.:driving:

Sean i only reported the problem i had just as a warning i know brembo brakes are fitted to a hell of a lot off expensive cars including some Lexus cars as standard.

The ones i had were obviously a bad batch they did not come from eBay or amazon and were genuine brembo from a reputable brake supplier i did not want to take the chance of same happening again so had genuine Jaguar items fitted.:rolleyes1:

And in answer to your first question if they made newer X-types now i would not but i had 2 anyway and had 13 years from both off them.:no2:

65mike:driving:

brembo are like most manufacturers, they make different products to suit different budgets. I see similar comments with regards to tyres, people dislike their cheap OEM tyres on their Lexus and then state they will never buy Bridgestone or whoever as if all their tyres are of equal quality.

• Like 2

I have many reasons to dislike Brembo, poor supply speed, lack of spares... But generally there isn't a quality issue. There are however lots and lots of fake Brembo products out there. Ebay and amazon are a frauds paradise.

I actually bought the brake pads from ECP. They should be ok from there. Haven’t even fitted them yet.

I have just replaced my EBC Redstuff pads with another set of the same. They lasted 26000 miles.

I did say some time back that I would use Yellowstuff next time as I have experienced fade on a couple of occasions but only under extreme conditions - I know a few roads where I can guarantee to get the brakes to fade point (in any car) if there's no traffic and I'm in the mood!

But I have since discovered that Redstuff are claimed to be the only pads which don't contain metal (they are Kevlar/Ceramic) - this means they produce very little dust and what dust they do produce is easily washed off. Yellowstuff are more heat resistant but they contain metal (as do all other pads, apparently) and they produce a lot of dust and like most brake dust it will be a pig to get off - the metal particles eat into the paint on the wheel. This tallies with my experience and talking to people who use Yellowstuff (mostly on race cars). Hence my sticking with Redstuff.

Both Redstuff and Yellowstuff are expensive - about £90 for Red and £105 for Yellow.

I use MTEC drilled and grooved discs - they are still in good condition after one set of Redstuff pads.

2 hours ago, johnatg said:

Both Redstuff and Yellowstuff are expensive - about £90 for Red and £105 for Yellow.

How is the wet performance?