Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX450h Average fuel and economy

Well my return 2 hour 100miles got me 29mpg av, but fully loaded that was ok. Maybe now I have unloaded the canoes, tents and people, I’ll get a bit more! 

100 mile trip to Carlisle, cruise set to 80mph on the M6 up there, got me 30.4mpg

100 miles back but on the A6 with varying speeds got me 31.2mpg.

All in all, about £30 for a 200 mile journey. I still think a straight petrol with LPG conversion would do it much cheaper than the hybrid.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/4/2018 at 4:45 PM, sorcerer said:

100 mile trip to Carlisle, cruise set to 80mph on the M6 up there, got me 30.4mpg

100 miles back but on the A6 with varying speeds got me 31.2mpg.

All in all, about £30 for a 200 mile journey. I still think a straight petrol with LPG conversion would do it much cheaper than the hybrid.

35.65 Mpg over 1,289 miles according to my phone app. 

Very pleased.  The trouble with lpg conversions is that the engines run hot. Back in the early noughties when they were popular there were all sorts of issues. The Vauxhall factory approved conversion on the Astra would see a head gasket off at around 50000 miles. Having driven an experimental police version I can assure you that the performance was badly affected when on lpg as opposed to running on petrol. 

1 hour ago, olliesgrandad said:

35.65 Mpg over 1,289 miles according to my phone app. 

Very pleased.  The trouble with lpg conversions is that the engines run hot. Back in the early noughties when they were popular there were all sorts of issues. The Vauxhall factory approved conversion on the Astra would see a head gasket off at around 50000 miles. Having driven an experimental police version I can assure you that the performance was badly affected when on lpg as opposed to running on petrol. 

Very much in the past Les.

Modern LPG systems are absolutely fantastic, much better for the engine (oil comes out after 9,000 miles almost as clean as it went in), far better for the environment and FAR better on the wallet.

We had our Nissan Maxima QX 3.0 SEL converted and did about 130,000 on LPG before selling it and I promise you, absolutely NO loss of performance and no problems with the engine whatsoever. It ran superbly and went as fast as a fast thing on a fast day when I wanted it to. The LPG conversion market has come a long way from the bad old days. At one time, only a complete system was available from a manufacturer but now, as long as the installer knows what they are doing, they can mix and match components, picking the best of everything to ensure an absolutely foolproof, highly resilient and excellently-performing conversion.

We had our RX300 converted and intended to run the car for many years and at least 150,000 miles but we came into a bit of money and decided to change to a newer car to see us into retirement.

I would go back to LPG in a heartbeat but sadly Lexus don't do a petrol-only version of the RX and only an RX will do, so it has to be hybrid. A quick example I can give you is our driving holidays. Not had chance to take the RX to Europe yet but when we last did the trip from here to Poland and back we covered about 4,000 miles in total. Petrol would have cost over £900 but LPG did it for £437. Like I said, I'd go back to LPG in a heartbeat.

On 5/31/2018 at 11:24 PM, sorcerer said:

We're comparing apples to oranges here Rob. You have a 4th Gen while the rest of us have 3rd Gen cars, so yours will always be better than anything we can manage.

Good point - technology moves on.