Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

NX SatNav Map updates

I asked this question in another thread but I'm not sure that enough members saw it and so I thought I'd try again.

I'm keen to update the maps in my car and am wondering if anyone else has used this particular brand, see link below.  I gave the supplier all of my SatNav data and this is what they came up with.  The product mentions 'Premium Navigation' but,  I don't know if mine is the Premium version, although I think that I have read somewhere that fellow member ColinBarber thinks that all NX's have Premium Navigation. can this be confirmed by anyone?

The Lexus SatNav handbook says "Do not eject the SD card as it will deactivate the system".  I'm not sure if map updates are normally done by leaving the SD card in place and writing over the existing  content or, if its done by replacing the card with a new one.  Anyone know the answer to this.

https://www.satnavishop.co.uk/2018-lexus-premium-sat-nav-sd-card-navigation-map-update-652-p.asp

The cost of this update (from the link) is certainly more realistic than Lexus prices. 

• 1 month later...

I think you can tell if you have premium nav if you have the touchpad instead of the wheel. 

Sorry I can't answer your other questions but I too will be looking to update maps as they were already very out of date in a car that was new last November. 

All facelift NX (2018 onwards) have the Premium navigation with the touchpad. As @EssexGonzosays above, if you control the nav with a small dial instead then that is standard nav (and it also has a smaller screen).

A 2014 NX could have either as I understand it, although I think Premium nav was an upgrade option on the Luxury.

• 1 month later...

I just updated my Premium Nav unit with a micro-SD card from Toyota-EU, part number PZ445-US335-0P 

I paid approx 3x the price in your link but felt more comfortable to have the card from Toyota, less chance of corrupted data, or possible missing/incomplete data. I simply removed the original card and replaced with the update. When powered up it automatically updated the maps and then updated the software.

My dealer wanted £640 for the card and £30 labour to perform the update ....

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a card on fleabay from a seller called Map4card  for £42. they have one on sale now.

I spent ages figuring out the latest map codes OM, ON etc  and ended up with a late 2017 map. Be careful here, many maps advertised as 2018 aren't!

It worked straight out of the box, just remove the old one and stick the new one in.

Better still I sold the old one , early 2016, on fleabay and got £24.

So although I don't have the latest map i've got one less than a year old for £18!

I might do the same again next year.

The latest version currently available is PZ445-US335-0P - new versions generally appear to come out every March/April and Oct/Nov and the final letter has been working through the alphabet (although they skipped O), so the next version should be 0Q

The official description of this update on the website is: Update Europe 2018 (Q2) microSD Card (Navteq 2017Q2). Navteq is the name of the company that provides the mapping data and the data they have provided is from the 2nd quarter of 2017. The booklets that used to come with the DVD updates I've bought previously explained that Lexus/Toyota needed time to collate and verify the data before release, so the maps would be 6-12 months old.

SD cards seem to go for £40-80 on auction sites depending on the seller.  The official Lexus and Toyota map update websites charge 165 Euro + VAT.

I can't believe that a Lexus dealer wanted to charge so much for an SD card (massive mark up there) and even £30 labour for a 5 second job.

In many respects I do feel that Lexus do tend to be rip-off merchants.  I did write to Lexus UK and suggested that they might consider providing just UK map updates, rather than the whole lot.  They said that they would put it the powers that be but nothing has ever come of it.  I'm sure that they would sell a lot of UK only updates if they made it an available option.

When I wrote to them I provided images of what updates were available for the SatNav systems of other companies, along with the details of their more realistic prices but, as I say, as of now they have not taken the hint.  I am tempted to buy from an auction site but at the moment I am still a little wary.

One of my wife's friends uses her phone and links the map output to her in-car screen and it works a treat.  I think that when I change my car again i won't bother with having the SatNav option, there are so many other, cheaper options available, especially where Lexus are concerned.

Time and again on this site you see members complaining about the absolutely ridiculous prices that Lexus ask for spare parts.  I would even consider changing brands because of this.  My wife tells me that whatever happens I'll always be a Lexus man.  I'm not totally convinced anymore!!

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I believe the latest version for you would be part number: PZ445-US335-0R

Older versions simply go back alphabetically- eg: ending with 0Q, 0N etc

Search for the product code on auction sites and you may find people selling their old SD cards. 

The price Lexus quoted you is about right. They are similar direct from Lexus here

I've just acquired a new Golf (the NX is Mrs EG's car) with apple Car Play and Android Auto. Leaving aside the fact that the Golf's interface is in a different league to the NX's (albeit I'm not a touchscreen fan), being able to use something like Waze or Google Maps for free makes a mockery of the general lack of smartphone mirroring in any UK Lexus except for the refreshed RX just launched. Hopefully our next Lexus will have caught up and have this feature.

I've only used the Golf's native satnav once and it too knocks the Lexus maps out of the park - but I'm sure the legitimate updates are just as expensive. 

I am just looking at updating my Garmin nuvi 660 and, for the princely sum of £23.99 I can get the June 2019 map update.  Once paid-for and downloaded, the file is then apparently updated bi-weekly.

I certainly won't be updating my Lexus satnav at their silly prices.  I really cannot understand why they are so inflexible in their approach to map updates.  They must surely be aware of the many adverse comments that abound.

Further to my updating my Garmin SatNav.  I have now completed this and, for the sum of £127.99 I have now got the 2019 maps along with Lifetime Map Updates and Support and additionally, if I change my Garmin to another model, these updates are transferable to the new unit.

Now, many of you are aware, I am not that tech savvy and I am wondering if someone might know the answer to this.  My Garmin is equipped with a USB connector and I am wondering what might happen if I plugged this into the aux connector in my car.  Would it be recognised and function or not?  I don't want to try it without knowing whether or not it might damage my in-car system.  Also, the Garmin has Bluetooth, is it possible that this might work with the Lexus unit?

When I was speaking to the technician who did the Garmin update, he assured me that if required, he could update my in-car SatNav and, for £199.00 I would get lifetime updates.

Geoff, I don't imagine that you'll damage either the Garmin or the car by using the aux connector but I would imagine that nothing will happen. It's possible that you may get to hear the satnav audio through the car system if you selected the aux input on the audio screen, but you probably wouldn't then be able to listen to anything else. 

As a guess, I'd say the Garmin's Bluetooth capability is so that you can use it in a car that doesn't have it and connect to a phone for handsfree use. You could try and pair it and seen what happens - again, I can't imagine how it would break anything. 

• 3 years later...

The wider 10.3 screen doesn’t take an SD card (if it did there would be an SD card slot behind a flat on the panel behind the gear stick). 
The wider screen has updates installed via USB that are downloaded from Lexus-tech.eu 

Look at my other threads for details on how to install.  There may be a charge if your car is over 3 yrs old.