Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

AA Cover with Extended Warranty

I've just taken out the extended warranty ( nice surprise as it's come down to £795 for the IS). Is there anything to do regarding the AA membership, do you get AA cards? also, it says another person living in the same has full AA cover, does that vehicle or person need to register with AA? dealers says nothing to do but not sure if that is right.

2 hours ago, Casa1862 said:

I've just taken out the extended warranty ( nice surprise as it's come down to £795 for the IS). Is there anything to do regarding the AA membership, do you get AA cards? also, it says another person living in the same has full AA cover, does that vehicle or person need to register with AA? dealers says nothing to do but not sure if that is right.

Should get something in the post after a few days with the Lexus Roadside Assistance card in it 

You can then use the enclosed form or give them a ring to register the other person.

just give them a ring and ask them to add the other person on your membership

i think the only criteria is that they live at the same address.

Thanks, i’ll Wait for a few days and see if anything turns up. I purchased the warranty at the dealer and all I got was a print out, I was surprised when he said nothing to do, I don”t think I’d want to be explaining I’m covered by my partners Lexus cover when I’m broken down, i’ll certainly be wanting to know they have a record of me.

i wasn’t going to bother with the Lexus warranty but with the price reduced to £795 from £895 for two years it seems a decent deal, with the two AA memberships that takes another £150 odd off so about £325 per year, not too bad I suppose.

I took the extended warranty - you will get a pack in the post - may take a couple of weeks - there is a form to fill in included in the pack to register your partner - just complete this and send it back and then another card will be sent out in their name. The breakdown cover is full European cover so makes the extended warranty good value for two years complete peace of mind in my opinion. 

I got a year's worth of Lexus breakdown cover last August when I bought my IS from Lexus Sheffield. As an approved used car I also got a 1 year warranty. Nether of my cars now qualify for any sort of warranty but keeping the breakdown cover does interest me. Does anyone know any reason why I wouldn't be able to do that? I compared the cover to the regular AA and it did seem cheaper.

You can just renew the breakdown cover - they will write to you as it runs out.  £125 a year.

When I looked around I found it very competitive if you look for like for like cover

4 minutes ago, Mikeyb999 said:

You can just renew the breakdown cover - they will write to you as it runs out.  £125 a year.

When I looked around I found it very competitive if you look for like for like cover

Equivalent AA cover seems to be £159

• Like 1

Yep, never get the warranties but always renew the roadside assistance. Had to use it a few times too, fortunately not in our cars though!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rich1068 said:

Equivalent AA cover seems to be £159

Once you add in European cover the Lexus offer is alot cheaper. I suspect because the cars hardly ever brakedown the risk is alot lower for the AA.

We have the Lexus cover as our only breakdown cover as it includes other cars your traveling in. 

Extended warranty on a Lexus seems pretty pointless though, on a BMW/Merc our Tesla I would say almost essential but the chance of our IS300H needing any kind of mechanical work in our ownership I would say is 0% given the tech is proven to last 300k+ in a Prius with no issues.

Our 2015 is300h came with a 12 month warranty. I have considered the extended warranty when that expires, but probably won't bother.

We already have AA cover anyway. When we bought it the dealer tried to get us to sign up to the service plan, I didn't go for that either.

Is that worth having ?. The car has 21,000 on the clock, and I doubt we will do much more than 5,000 miles a year. We also don't use it

for short shopping trips..

I signed up for a service plan just for ease of putting the money aside and I will definitely use Lexus for the services. The service plan is just a way of putting money aside for the services with Lexus when they come around - the plan cost is based on your likely service schedules but if you are early for a service then you may need to contribute extra as you won't have enough "saved". If you have the money for a service in the bank when it's needed then there isn't any cost saving on a service plan - other than the MOT is discounted to £27. Service schedule is 10k miles (12.5k if a business user) or annually if doing less than this mileage so in your case will still be an annual service. To meet the conditions of an Extended Warranty the car must be serviced by Lexus and to the schedule. 

5 hours ago, ganzoom said:

Extended warranty on a Lexus seems pretty pointless though, on a BMW/Merc our Tesla I would say almost essential but the chance of our IS300H needing any kind of mechanical work in our ownership I would say is 0% given the tech is proven to last 300k+ in a Prius with no issues.

My IS is 15 years old so I've been driving around with that reassurance since last August. I'd never owned a Lexus before. My previous car ownership had been exclusively German/European and I do realise now why the dealer was willing to put such a warranty on a car of that age. The chance of anything catastrophic happening is as you say, virtually zero.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hadrian said:

Our 2015 is300h came with a 12 month warranty. I have considered the extended warranty when that expires, but probably won't bother.

We already have AA cover anyway. When we bought it the dealer tried to get us to sign up to the service plan, I didn't go for that either.

Is that worth having ?. The car has 21,000 on the clock, and I doubt we will do much more than 5,000 miles a year. We also don't use it

for short shopping trips..

Still needs servicing every year though? and I guess its inflation proof thats why I have it. 

And free mot usually. So saves potentially 55 quid a year and get mot done at same time as service. I had 2 this year so I could be legal then another to align mot with service. Both mot were free.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

We will be getting our is300h serviced by Lexus. This was one of the deciding factors in buying the car, as we have a service centre

literally a five minute walk away.   Assuming nothing expensive needs replacing, what's the average cost of a service ?

14 hours ago, Hadrian said:

We will be getting our is300h serviced by Lexus. This was one of the deciding factors in buying the car, as we have a service centre

literally a five minute walk away.   Assuming nothing expensive needs replacing, what's the average cost of a service ?

As the above post, all fixed servicing now but the new intervals are a bit odd. 

Cant work out why 80k is more than a 40k but I havent really spent much time looking at it to be fair

Had to add some windscreen wash to the IS. The engine bay looks almost new, my prevous BMW at same age was leaking oil, coolant all over the place, oil from 2 sources and coolant from another 2! I recon interms of reliability the IS might beat anything else we have had on the driveway.

41667109065_25e84d8c67_z_d.jpg

I was not going to bother with warranty but as I would have needed to buy 2 x AA memberships approx £200, the warranty was £400 per year, so £200 for a comprehensive warranty I think it is a good deal for a piece of mind. 

They seem to have reduced the price plus I notice that the mileage you are allowed to go over is 2k now, I’m sure it was 1k before, it effectively means you can have 12k or 11 month service intervals which is handy if you do more the 10k per year.

I’m going to keep my car so they way I look at it for £200 per year I can have the benefits of virtually identical cover as I had in years 2/3 of new ownership. It’s not the big things I’m worried about but if you don’t have the warranty and say something like the heated seats stop working I’d be tempted to leave it, if the locking system started to play up,that could be an expensive fix.