Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have a 2007 Lexus 400h with the Mark Levinsion sound system installed.

Has anyone any views as to whether the above unit would work with this configuration.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Sorry the question makes no sense

The question makes sense, but I think it might be better addressed to Grom themselves. :)

According to this website your car is compatible with a VLine.

https://gromaudio.co.uk/partfinder/product/list/?make=Lexus&model=RX&year=2007-2009

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

I would like to be able to run AndroidAuto, or the I Phone equivalent, on a smart phone and link it to the car display on my 2007 lexus rX 400h.

Currently my Lexus centre are quoting me £180 for updated maps and telling me that the Lexus supplied maps do not support the firmware upgrade that allows destinations to be input whilst the vehicle is moving.

In a few weeks I an going to Germany/Check Republil/Poland/Austria.......back to the UK. I think this will involve me in 3 disk changes, which means stopping by the road side and accessing the DVD player........I can't ascertain at he moment whether this involves disconnecting the Battery.

All in all I think the Lexus system is pretty poor and their support centres seem completely uninterested in someone with an 11 year old car.

I am therfor willing to spend the money to establish an interface to the inbuit screen in the car that would allow me to utilise state of the art navigation.

Ian Wallace

36 minutes ago, Josswallace said:

Currently my Lexus centre are quoting me £180 for updated maps and telling me that the Lexus supplied maps do not support the firmware upgrade that allows destinations to be input whilst the vehicle is moving.

As I mentioned in the other thread I didn't disconnect the Battery. I have no idea who told you that. I was also able to input on the move.

38 minutes ago, Josswallace said:

All in all I think the Lexus system is pretty poor and their support centres seem completely uninterested in someone with an 11 year old car.

It's not poor. It's old. That system will have been around in some form or another approaching 15 years. Google Maps it ain't. And  I don't think the dealer can be blamed for not being able to help beyond supplying new discs.

For a trip like that I wouldn't even be considering the built in system. I'd buy a magnet and stick my phone to the dash :biggrin:

Quite a few threads featuring VLine related matters. Just do a search. I’ve tried to link to one below but I’m not sure if it will work.

Grom Vline - Android/CarPlay Infotainment Upgrade
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=80750&share_tid=110258&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Elexusownersclub%2Eco%2Euk%2Fapplications%2Ftapatalk%2Findex%2Ephp%3F%2Ftopic%2F110258-Grom-Vline---Android-CarPlay-Infotainment-Upgrade&share_type=t

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, Josswallace said:

In a few weeks I an going to Germany/Check Republil/Poland/Austria.......back to the UK. I think this will involve me in 3 disk changes, which means stopping by the road side and accessing the DVD player........I can't ascertain at he moment whether this involves disconnecting the battery.

My wife and I have been doing a very similar journey (taking in Belgium, Germany, Czech, Slovakia, Poland, Lithuania and Austria at various times) every year since 1991 and we love it. However, I would hate to do that journey with just the Lexus satnav - being DVD-based makes it utterly clunky and totally impractical.

Either get a phone holder and use your phone on windscreen/dash, or for a couple of hundred quid or less, you could buy a TomTom/Garmin/whatever with lifetime map updates and the ability to input your own POIs, which you just can't do with DVD-based systems.

As an example, our RX300 ran on LPG and it was a trivial matter to get a POI file of every LPG filling station in all the countries we were touring round. If we were getting low on fuel, I simply told TomTom to navigate us to the nearest LPG filling station and that was it - sorted. You can't do that on a DVD-based system. You could also install the Pocket GPS World Speed Camera Database, which is just £19.99 per year, updated weekly, and also covers Europe too - again, you can't do that on a DVD-based system.

My TomTom sits in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen so it's unobtrusive but easy to see and I've hidden the wiring so there's nothing unsightly hanging around. It's a whole order of magnitude above and beyond anything the inbuilt system could ever be.

OK Josh. I see what you want to do. I think you'd rather have your car satnav display show what you want it to show and not have to use your phone or external satnav. I don't blame you for that, I'd be the same.

As for your query I can't help but I wish you well in your quest to upgrade your satnav system.

I have a tomtom on the centre console of my gs purely because the speed camera and slow traffic warnings are far superior to any inbuilt system (apart from an alfa romeo where a special adapter allowed a Tom Tom to connect with the car). Also the mapping is far newer with the lifetime maps package. I updated my car Sd card last year and mapping is way out. 

Many thanks for your contributions. I think for our trip in a couple of weeks time I will use the phone.

We went to canada last year Calgary....Port Rupert, Vancouver and I downloaded all teh maps I needed

before we left and it was fine. I rented a Chrysler 300 for our first week and I was able to link my phone

to the Chrysler information screen, so I had Google Maps etc through the screen in the car with the

phone still in my pocket. This was absolutely fabulous and I am going to look to see if I can get a third

party solution to achieve this.

Having done this trip (UK to Slovakia) several times the DVD is good until you exit Austria.

However we use a Garmin all the way as the price of the DVDs is excessive even for Lexus and the Garmin just has much better features like easy to read speed, choice of kmh/mph, speed camera data, lifetime traffic, lifetime maps, etc.

I'd be very hesitant to use something that takes over the central screen - will it be compatible with all the basic features like aircon control, etc?